What's new

Problem filling Ronson lighter

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Or I guess I could have titled it "Slow guy cannot figure it out"

I bought some of the Ronson lighters and now I need to refill them. I bought some Lotus premium butane from my local B&M.

But I cannot get it to fill the lighters. I put them at low for their flame, flip upside down and then push the tip in, it makes a tiny bit of noise but does not really sound like it is filling up.

Did I get the wrong butane? Anyone know of how I can get this to work? Or thoughts on butane that is known to work well with these?

Best regards, tony

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
You must empty the excess air. You can do so by taking something small and pressing on the gold valve you fill it with.

Once you release all of the air, it will fill perfectly.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Mine fill w/o making any noise, except when I disconnect the filler nozzle. Did your butane come with add'l tips? If so, find the one that fits the lighter best.

You might also try purging it first. Hold right side up and depress filler nozzle with a match or pen to bleed the air.

And try letting it warm up to room temp (several minutes) before trying to light it again.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
You must empty the excess air. You can do so by taking something small and pressing on the gold valve you fill it with.

Once you release all of the air, it will fill perfectly.
But never, ever, use a pencil!

I use Vector and Lava and have had no problems filling any of my Ronson's.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But never, ever, use a pencil!

I use Vector and Lava and have had no problems filling any of my Ronson's.
I agree with Larry as I use nothin but Vector and Lava and don't have any issues. 5x butane is a smart thing to use in any lighter to keep it operating at peak efficiency. The smart things to do as well is when you refill the lighter take the can off and put it back on for another 3 seconds to top it off and remove. You will be suprised as to how much more butane can go in and how much longer your lighter will last.

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was having the same problem, I did purge it but not enough. Now I purge it until I hear nothing coming out and push down on a it a bit now. Now my lighters last much longer. I usually just take the tip of my knife and press down on it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have an old Ronson stainless steel lighter that I have had for at least 5 years and about the only issue filling was with a good seal between the butane can tip and the lighter fill valve. Although I also had some minor issues with sparking when clicked. Didn't know if anyone else had similar problems, or knew a cheat to cleaning the flame chamber to help it spark better?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I have an old Ronson stainless steel lighter that I have had for at least 5 years and about the only issue filling was with a good seal between the butane can tip and the lighter fill valve. Although I also had some minor issues with sparking when clicked. Didn't know if anyone else had similar problems, or knew a cheat to cleaning the flame chamber to help it spark better?
COMPRESSED AIR --- will knock out any small dust or grime particles that might be affecting it. But after 5 years on a $3 lighter it might be time to bite the bullet and grab a new one.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dang if you get 5 years out of any lighter you had a great lighter so it time for a new one. I have one and it doesnt matter what gas you use it has been trustworthy. Like they said make sure you blead the tank with a knife or something sharp and then let it sit for 10-15 min and do again and make sure no gas or air is in there. If still not working get a can of air for the computer and spray in the jet to make sure a piece of ash didnt fall in.

Also with the lotus fule I cant recall if it has the right tip on there it may be to big. I also purge my lighters and then put in the freezer for 15 min before refilling. It seems doing this you can get more gas in there. Good luck

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah I have thought for a while that I needed to get another but it still keeps chugging along, the stupid lid barely stays on there anymore but it has been a trooper..... had through college and worked great in all of my chemistry labs....oh well