What's new

Problem with Tatuaje ...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to my local puro shop yesterday and got a big surprise ... he just became a distributor of Tatuajes. He had about 12 boxes.

I had only seen Tats with brown bands but he had two different types ... red bands with white script and white bands with red script. He claimed the red bands were the premium smokes.

I was also happily surprised to see that they are making a vitola in the size of the Cohiba Corona Especial. I like Lanceros but the CS makes more sense to me. I've actually gone to factories in Lil' Havana and requested they whip me up some CS vitolas and I was always told "NO !!!!" .

I grabbed a hand full of various vitolas. What bothers me is that every Tatuaje Lancero and Corona Especial that I have ever smoked has been a pain in the ass to stay lit ... and I'm talking CONSTANTLY re-lighting. None of the other Tats have been problematic in this way.

I am very curious to know if any of you Brothers have had this problem ?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I went to my local puro shop yesterday and got a big surprise ... he just became a distributor of Tatuajes. He had about 12 boxes.

I had only seen Tats with brown bands but he had two different types ... red bands with white script and white bands with red script. He claimed the red bands were the premium smokes.

I was also happily surprised to see that they are making a vitola in the size of the Cohiba Corona Especial. I like Lanceros but the CS makes more sense to me. I've actually gone to factories in Lil' Havana and requested they whip me up some CS vitolas and I was always told "NO !!!!" .

I grabbed a hand full of various vitolas. What bothers me is that every Tatuaje Lancero and Corona Especial that I have ever smoked has been a pain in the ass to stay lit ... and I'm talking CONSTANTLY re-lighting. None of the other Tats have been problematic in this way.

I am very curious to know if any of you Brothers have had this problem ?
I have no experience with the Tatuaje's, never smoked any. But if these are in your humi for awhile with other cigars of a similar size that smoke fine, sounds like a construction issue. Or it could be that they are made of very hygroscopic tobacco and just require a LOOOOONG time to become smokable.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've smoked a few ofthe red labels and not had any problems. These are good!! My local B&M said that the white's were mixed filler with the red's being premium and the brown's...well he can't get them, so it doesn't matter-super premium?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Like Tuba says, they need time for the tobacco to become smokable. Also the thin ring gauges need to be smoked very slowly or will become harsh.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've never had a burn issue with a Tat...and I've had that exact cigar you're talking about. It might just have been a bad roll; these things happen, naturally.

BTW, here's the difference in the 3 labels:

BROWN = Tatuaje
Nicaraguan puros rolled in Miami at Don Pepin's El Rey De Los Habanos

RED = Tatuaje Havana VI
Nicaraguan puros rolled in Nicaragua to increase production, but made using the same tobacco used to create the standard Tatuaje, albiet in a slightly tweaked blend.

WHITE = Tatuaje Series P
Same blend as the Havana Vi, but rolled as a "Cuban sandwich" consisting of 40% long filler and 60% medium filler, in order to make a more affordable cigar.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I've never had a burn issue with a Tat...and I've had that exact cigar you're talking about. It might just have been a bad roll; these things happen, naturally.

BTW, here's the difference in the 3 labels:

BROWN = Tatuaje
Nicaraguan puros rolled in Miami at Don Pepin's El Rey De Los Habanos

RED = Tatuaje Havana VI
Nicaraguan puros rolled in Nicaragua to increase production, but made using the same tobacco used to create the standard Tatuaje, albiet in a slightly tweaked blend.

WHITE = Tatuaje Series P
Same blend as the Havana Vi, but rolled as a "Cuban sandwich" consisting of 40% long filler and 60% medium filler, in order to make a more affordable cigar.
I bought a few of the red labels when last in Phoenix. Very nice smoke but not the power of the brown label. Much lower price. The B&M owner steered me away from the white lable. They smoked very well. FYI Holts new catalog has the red and white labels for sale.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I had a Red label maduro last week, and it kicked me square-in-tha-nutz....it was MUCH more powerful than the typical brown labels (which admittedly are strong, but have a much quieter strength that sorta sneaks up on you).

BTW, if you like the flavor of Tatuaje but are put off by the strength, you might try his Cabaiguan cigars instead. It's substantially milder, similar in strength to a Monte, yet still has that Tatuaje "twang" to it.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I had a Red label maduro at the Big Smoke while in one of the seminars, No problem with burn,draw or anything....was a great smoke.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tatuajes seem to hold humidity more than many other smokes, or maybe they just smoke better at lower humidity levels. :dunno: Anyway, I have had the same experience, but I attributed it to the location of the Tatuaje boxes relative to the location of the humidifier vents at my local. Since I only buy them as singles, I haven't had a chance to experiment to see what the cause and/or solution to the problem is. I just buy 'em and smoke 'em on the spot... on those rare occasions when I am willing to spring for the purchase price on these puppies. :crosseyed