What's new

Products Tax/Consumer Use notice...

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Also I have checked with our sponsor from Virginia and at the moment at least they are not required to submit any purchaser info to the government. If in doubt contact any of the site sponsors. All of them should have had a chance to read this thread and should be more then happy to discuss with you. One of the bonuses to having them here is they know what is worrying you as well

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
On a side note, has anybody tried purchasing cigars with one of those name brand credit cards that you can buy at the grocery store, then put money on, like a gift card? It occurred to me, that you could use one of those and a different name, perhaps?
I wouldn't go around ordering stuff online under an assumed name. That sounds like a recipe for disaster in the (however unlikely) event your state finds out about the purchases.

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The same thing happened to me in MN, and it was from the same retailer. No comment on whether there is any blame to go around.

In MN there is a 70% of retail tax in addition to penalties and interest. When I contacted the state, they agreed to waive the penalty and interest but I still got stuck paying a ton for my ELO 1's and 3's. About 9 months later, I got a letter from a collection agency who was trying to collect an additional $29. Someone at the state had forgotten to waive all of the fees when I submitted my payment, and of course never sent me anything directly asking for the $29. The icing on this shit cake is that the state had already taken the $29 out of my tax refund months prior to my receiving the collection agency notice. As of yet, I still have no confirmation that MN dept of revenue has cleared the issue with the collection agency. I have contacted them multiple times and they promised/claimed to have submitted the paperwork but still getting notices from the agency. 70% of retail.....

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is an ongoing issue. Just popped up again for a Wyoming BOTL over on CBID.

Has Dan updated his site at all to explain possible problems and tax issues?
This is going to continue to be an issue because he reports all out of state purchases to the state of OH. He has his disclaimer CYA page buried in his site somewhere, but I doubt he's going to make it prominent enough to scare his business away. As far as NHC is concerned, he's just following the letter of the law and leaves it to the consumer to self-disclose.

Until a lot more people get pinched, nothin's going to change. I learned my lesson and won't buy anything from NHC again. In my case, can you imagine everytime I buy something, having to ask Dan what his cost is, so I can figure out what 40% of that is and writing a check for that amount to my state? No thanks.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is going to continue to be an issue because he reports all out of state purchases to the state of OH. He has his disclaimer CYA page buried in his site somewhere, but I doubt he's going to make it prominent enough to scare his business away. As far as NHC is concerned, he's just following the letter of the law and leaves it to the consumer to self-disclose.

Until a lot more people get pinched, nothin's going to change. I learned my lesson and won't buy anything from NHC again. In my case, can you imagine everytime I buy something, having to ask Dan what his cost is, so I can figure out what 40% of that is and writing a check for that amount to my state? No thanks.
Did he come out and tell you that or did you find it on the site? Also, I wonder if he reports it to each state individually. Seems like a major PITA on his part.

I agree with not buying there, though. I can go without the LE Tat stuff he sells.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Did he come out and tell you that or did you find it on the site? Also, I wonder if he reports it to each state individually. Seems like a major PITA on his part.

I agree with not buying there, though. I can go without the LE Tat stuff he sells.
He just submits it to his state and they take it from there

cac

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please give specific examples of what Dan should be doing, instead of what he's doing now? I really would like to know what people think he's doing wrong. Yes it sucks that people are getting taxed on their out of state orders, but no one has yet to say what he should be doing instead.
IMHO any taxes being collected or disclosed on out-of-state purchases should be fully disclosed during the checkout process, including any Use or Excise Taxes that may be due or disclosed. The same way as the shipping costs are outlined. Asking a customer to simply check a box stating they have read the Shipping Terms to me is not full disclosure, especially when customers are being hit MONTHS after the initial purchase with exuberant penalties and interest. For the site to state "Tobacco Excise Tax varies by State and may be assessed by individual States as reported." is not enough considering the operative word is "MAY" while the vendor IS fully disclosing out-of-state sales.

If it stated during the checkout process that the order information will be fully disclosed to your State to enforce the Use Tax you must pay - you can bet like hell people will think twice about placing the order. Customers do not regularly look for the Sales & Use Taxes they will be charged for out-of-state purchases on the Shipping page. Hell, most Ecommerce customers do not even look at the Shipping Terms unless there is a problem with their order.

Very hinkey.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IMHO any taxes being collected or disclosed on out-of-state purchases should be fully disclosed during the checkout process, including any Use or Excise Taxes that may be due or disclosed. The same way as the shipping costs are outlined. Asking a customer to simply check a box stating they have read the Shipping Terms to me is not full disclosure, especially when customers are being hit MONTHS after the initial purchase with exuberant penalties and interest. For the site to state "Tobacco Excise Tax varies by State and may be assessed by individual States as reported." is not enough considering the operative word is "MAY" while the vendor IS fully disclosing out-of-state sales.

If it stated during the checkout process that the order information will be fully disclosed to your State to enforce the Use Tax you must pay - you can bet like hell people will think twice about placing the order. Customers do not regularly look for the Sales & Use Taxes they will be charged for out-of-state purchases on the Shipping page. Hell, most Ecommerce customers do not even look at the Shipping Terms unless there is a problem with their order.

Very hinkey.
But technically everything you order online you are supposed to claim and pay taxes for it is not the sellers job to enforce or inform. They could and it would be nice if they did but if you order anything online you should know you are supposed to be required to pay your state taxes on it. A companyreporting their sales if they are required to is not hinky. I don't normally order cigars online but with all my online purchases I love not paying taxes, I do however know that uncle Sam can come knocking for tax dollars on those items.

cac

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But technically everything you order online you are supposed to claim and pay taxes for it is not the sellers job to enforce or inform. They could and it would be nice if they did but if you order anything online you should know you are supposed to be required to pay your state taxes on it. A companyreporting their sales if they are required to is not hinky. I don't normally order cigars online but with all my online purchases I love not paying taxes, I do however know that uncle Sam can come knocking for tax dollars on those items.
Some items are taxable, while others are not. All depends on where you live. Am not saying that a company reporting their sales are hinkey. What I am saying is hinkey is stating that it "may" be assessed while the transaction details are being fully disclosed without customer's knowledge, and not better/clearly disclosing that fact during the checkout process where the applicable taxes and shipping are clearly outlined. IMHO tax reporting policies have nothing to due with shipping terms or privacy policies and therefore should be clearly identified.

Am not against any particular vendor. Just feel these sales tax issues should be better/clearly disclosed during all Ecommerce checkout procedures. Hitting a customer 6-months after-the-fact with exuberant penalties and interest is BS when the customer could have been fully informed of the company reporting, possibly given a chance to pay the taxes at the point-of-sale, or cancelled the order after being fully aware of the possible taxes. Better to inform the customer taxes WILL happen as opposed to MAY happen - and 6-months later with penalties and interest.

Visit: http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am as well, they have no business sharing any sort of information concerning their customers to anybody, especially somebody out of state. Where would it stop for them, if somebody called them up and just asked willy-nilly for information on their customers in Washington state, would they simply hand that over? I'm really bothered by this, please keep us up to date.
There are a few states that have done this - the most aggresive in recent memory being Florida. Each retailer handles it differently. We worked with a tax attourney on our policies which are all influenced by our refusal to share our customer purchases with any state. If a state does not handle our policy, sadly we will not sell there.

Things change so quickly that it can be hard for a retailer to know every change as they happen. I also suspect new people in the state occassioally look at the books and decide to increase revenues

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm reviving this thread again because 2-1/2 years later, this same vendor, NEWHAVANACIGARS.COM has come back to haunt me again. I tracked it down to a bundle of ELO6 cigars I purchased back in Feb 2011. I'm guessing my tax will be about $80-100 for this purchase. Thank goodness my transactions with this place were limited. Just a word of caution for you BOTLs out there that have bought from this vendor before.

TAXCO.jpg

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm reviving this thread again because 2-1/2 years later, this same vendor, NEWHAVANACIGARS.COM has come back to haunt me again. I tracked it down to a bundle of ELO6 cigars I purchased back in Feb 2011. I'm guessing my tax will be about $80-100 for this purchase. Thank goodness my transactions with this place were limited. Just a word of caution for you BOTLs out there that have bought from this vendor before.

View attachment 33198
So is this a second purchase they're hitting you on?

Thanks for bumping this thread BTW. I was contemplating ordering some of the Tat NHC's... not anymore.