What's new

project all done...smoked meat devoured

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It looks and sounds so good! Also, until this thread I had never heard of poutine. I now must try some!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
well that settles it, that sounds like it will pair amazingly with my Casa Gomez Maduros which shall be provided for taste comparison haha

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I built a large smoker several years ago and have probable made 2000 lbs of pulled pork and have wanted to do some pastrami for a long time just can't seem to make the time.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
my timetable may be completely effing off...since it's not a 13lb monster, I'm hearing 6-7 days of curing...this puts curing finishing on Monday, rinsing monday night, out the soek on Monday night, smoking tuesday, and steaming...Saturday? waiting 3 days between smoking and steaming? wondering if i screwed up royaly.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ok phew...talked to the person that came up with the recipe and my idea of smoking it on Tuesday and steaming on Saturday should not be a bad thing according to him.

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Looks good man. Here's a little tip for grinding your spices. We use a cheap coffee grinder in my kitchen at work. I use two, one for pepper only and the other for spices. They are like 20 bucks and last a long freaking time.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Looks good man. Here's a little tip for grinding your spices. We use a cheap coffee grinder in my kitchen at work. I use two, one for pepper only and the other for spices. They are like 20 bucks and last a long freaking time.
Can't fit a pound of peppercorn in a coffee grinder
I would have picked one up

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ok folks, tomorrow...I weigh and then rinse the brisket, and then put a 2 to 1 ratio of peppercorn to coriander thinking 1/2 lb to 1/4 lb. We'll see. started at 5.62lbs for the brisket.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
well, weighing didn't go so well, even though I tared the weight of the plate...the scale only goes to 72oz, so I have no clue...it's been steadily rinsing and soaking and the water is getting clearer...been rinsing and soaking for a couple hours now...I ground up 1/2 lb of peppercorn and 1/4lb coriander...and its waiting to get applied to the brisket...

it has a distinct smell, but it reminds me of my childhood and smoked meat...good thing I'm working the noon till shift this week. I'll wake up early tomorrow, and smoke and then bake the brisket..hopefully over maple...if i still have some. if not a milder wood.

pics later.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
OMFG! I had a slice and a half(end piece doesn't count, lol) and that was just with smoking, no steaming...holy shit it's good.

Flavor and texture appears right on, color does too...

my sister pointed out to me that 2 places in South Florida have montreal smoked meat, one ships in from Lesters, and the other makes their own. I knew this going in, but I like to see if I can control ingredients and do stuff myself...

so without furter adieu: