What's new

Promotion?

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So... I normally don't ask for this kind of thing on here. But I'm going to this time.

If you could... shoot me some positive thoughts, and vibes next week. I'm interviewing for an internal posting in our company, and our group. It would basically take me from a technician to an associate scientist. It would be a nice jump in my salary, as well, from what I understand.

I don't have a full-blown chemical degree, but have been soaking up 3+ years of experience, thus far, in this research group. My chemistry education is only in the form of a minor on my degree. I am basically up against 3 people I work with daily (which have FAR less knowledge of this stuff than me), some outside people, an unknown number of other internal applicants, and a guy that used to be a temp here, doing most of the same work, who got a call from here to come interview, and oh yeah, he's a really close friend of mine.

I don't know if I have much of a chance, or not... but would appreciate any good thoughts. Thanks, guys...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
on second thought.. those lederhosen might just do the trick!

Best of luck! I've found that in the real world, (and especially this economy) experience outweighs a degree in most aspects.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Good luck man! I interview internal candidates all the time... the only advice that I can give is don't take the opportunity lightly. Treat it like a normal professional interview...

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I don't want to shave off the wooly beard I've been growing for Oktoberfest, though!!!!!!
Don't go overboard (I wouldn't shave either), but obviously dress for an interview with a resume in hand and act like your being interviewed, not like you're pals with those that you obviously know... I could be off basis here. Not trying to filling your head with anything. But, I just see it too often where an internal candidate is perfect for the job but because of someone not being impressed with an interview, they look at an outside candidate. I'm sure you'll do fine.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Frank, go in , do your best. Just tell them that you want to contribute to the team and are willing to learn and grow.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I went or a huge promotion at a previous company, before i knew you guys. I thought i was outgunned, and i got it. So no matter what, bring you A game...and there will always be another Oktoberfest....just sayin.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I agree with Dave, shaving can't hurt. At the very least a nice trim. and wingtips, don't forget to wear your wingtips.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well, thank you all so much for the good wishes, and encouragement. I'll be having my interview in the morning.

And yes, the entire Grizzly Adams beard is gone...