What's new

Psd4

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
What the hell am I missing? I have smoked one pretty young last year some time and it was flat and muted; likely due to its age since it came from a very serious BOTL. Since I have only been into the Party profile for a number of months, I haven't bought a box of these yet. Mainly the reason was that I didn't want to purchase a box I hadn't had a positive experience with. Going by the thought that the one I had was young and didn't fulfill my hopes, I've leaned toward other staples instead, thinking that there were other fish in the sea that would satisfy me more.
Well, after reading a number of reviews, both here and abroad, I am starting to seriously consider the fact that I've overlooked this smoke for far too long. Being that I enjoy Partagas, but don't love them, is this a cigar I should go out of my way to make a spot in the cooler for or are the shorts and 898v's a good enough example of the profile to skip these altogether? Another fact to consider is that I usually prefer smaller guages; somewhere between 42 and 47 is the average.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Have not tried the 898V and only had one or two shorts. THe shorts didn't do much for me, but I can only honestly remember one...and it was early in habanos journey. The last PSD4 I had was very enjoyable. I like the smaller ring guages as well but I really like this particular size cigar. From rep alone I would say you need to make the room...but I'm sure there are some to be found from brothers if you really want to make sure it's something you need. :dunno:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The PSD4s are tricky. You have to smoke them VERY, VERY fresh, otherwise you have to wait longer than normal (around 18-24 months) before you can start dipping into them.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
N2Advnture said:
The PSD4s are tricky. You have to smoke them VERY, VERY fresh, otherwise you have to wait longer than normal (around 18-24 months) before you can start dipping into them.
I guess I need to smoke my '05s now then.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
I guess I need to smoke my '05s now then.
Some people disagree with it but if you find them flat/muted whenever you smoke them then I think you would agree with me.

Have you tried the 05s yet?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Some people disagree with it but if you find them flat/muted whenever you smoke them then I think you would agree with me.

Have you tried the 05s yet?
Nope. I'll smoke on the next time I smoke though.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
these are definitly fustrating. When they're on they are my fav, but definitly have had some duds.

Coppertop

Hi Ya Fellas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
PSD4s are best young...like N2Adventure posted. As he said, if you don't they don't really come around again for about 24 months

Party Shorts are IMVHO one of the best TPCs out there. Once again, they are the best when young....more then a yr and they mellow out. Still very good, but a more refined cigar

Partagas 898V one of my favorite cigars....along with the Lonsdale. These need time, I've smoked a few from 02 that were phenominal. I have a few from Oct 03 aging. Haven't even opened them yet. Still 100% sealed.

Don't know what exactly you were looking for, so I don't know if helped. I am a self proclaimed Partagas Whore...another Partagas whore would be Bruce5. I've never meet a Partagas I didn't like.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I just purchased a 15 Pk last month, they were from DEC 04 and they were some of the best freshies I've ever tried. Every time I reach in the humi I go right for them. Now I'm down to my last three pack and will be purchasing a full box. A must have IMO.

Wasch 24 smoke one of these ASAP

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with the shorts. great short smoke. I have gotten both cab's and dress boxes.

898's good smoke, but never good enough to spring for a box.

my experience with sd4, when they go sick, they need some time IMO.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Smoked an '04 tonight...thought I had an '05 but it was December '04.

These things have more spice than I usually like but with my palette being a little burned out I needed the boost.

Good smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you don't love the Party profile, but want to have one more box in your inventory, go for the Churchill deLuxe. Personally I'm not crazy about the SD4; I could have it or leave it. Given that there is usually a premium above other robustos, there are other cigars that I would rather have; CS, JL2, RyJ Ex4 to name a few.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread caught my eye because I'm smoking one the Benecio from Cigar Weekly gave me in a 3 pack at the Memorial Day Auction. It's the most peppery PSD4 I've ever tasted. Never harsh or hot but just like black pepper. I have no idea of the age. The wrapper leans a little towards the darker side of the PSD4 variations, lol.

I find the 898V to be a comletely different profile from the PSD4. A little more elegant and not so in your face, so to speak.

Barry

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I've tried many times to like the psd4 and I just can't. I've tried very fresh and well aged. I just don't like any of them. Different strokes for different folks, but just don't enjoy them at all.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've almost had it with the D4's. I love the Partagas line but this particular cigar just isn't worth the trouble. Just acquired some of the D4 Reservas, these are supposedly already 5 years old, tasted flat to me. The only D4 I ever liked I got from Mo before he moved to SoCal. Never had a sick period with a Boli RC or an RASS.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
JBRollman said:
Just acquired some of the D4 Reservas, these are supposedly already 5 years old, tasted flat to me.
My experience with these is quite limited as I've only had one, but I wondered about this and some people have posted at other sites about this and it makes sense to me. Part of the "aging" process for a cigar would seem to be the blending of the flavors of the various tobaccos (filler, binder, wrapper) together. Even though the tobacco is aged, the oils and aromas may need time to blend. Only time will tell I guess. I won't know, don't like PSD4s and I'm not going to pay the extra $ for the Reservas.