What's new

Psycho 7 Gordo

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
First, thanks to @Hopduro for the smoke. Now then, let's take a look at this-a-here seegar…

The label. Let's talk about the label. Since I quit smoking 17-18 years ago and coming back last year it seems like cigar labels have become huge, gaudy billboards which, while sometimes very artistic and beautiful, I am still kind of not a fan. The older style bands just seem a little classier, IMO. Now this has an interesting concept that I do like. The cigar is wrapped in a "script" that actually has some fun stuff. There's actual information about the blend used in the cigar which is a really nice usage of the real estate. There's a tongue-in-cheek humor to it as well, and the thing works nicely. Especially when, after peeling it off, you see that the actual cigar band is more "normal." So the outer doodad is more intelligent packaging design rather than a big ugly brand name billboard. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it removed without it tearing but there was no damage to the cigar.

The wrapper is a beautiful dark chestnut brown mottled with attractive black speckles. The seams are tight, and some small veins present. The cap is a little cracked, so I use my V cutter to avoid problems (of which there are none throughout). Construction seems mostly consistent, with no hard spots although there are a few spongey sections.
The aroma from the stick are creamy cinnamon, and an earthy something that reminds me of waking through a forest through the leaves and acorns. Very pleasant. Cold draw is a huge wallop of raisiny sweetness and cinnamon coffee like you'd get at a mexican diner.
Now it gets fun. My POS Scorch Torch refuses to work approximately 65% of the time, and this is one of them. I was already sitting outside, so I have to go back inside to light this on my Rekrow butane burner which doesn't have a working ignition 80% of the time, but I manage to get it lit and char the foot and light up. Back outside to smoke…

The first 1/3:
First puff is a POW! of nutty tobacco flavor. Starts off smooth and mild. Smoke production is good. Here's a hint of anise, and a schezuan peppercorn tingle on the tongue. It's not spicy, just tingly. Draw feels a little loose, which coupled with the huge ring gauge makes it seem a little too airy. I get a lot of nuttiness and a little pumpkin sweetness. Reminds me of this Bulgarian walnut and pumpkin filo dough thing I had once. The burn line starts to go awry. I was worried about this. I always have trouble with gordos and the burn. Couple this with my lighter troubles, and I'm nervous.

The 2nd third:
Flavors have tapered down a little. I'd say this cigar is pretty mild in strength and body. A good morning smoke with coffee. A light cedar dryness becomes the main feature now. I manage to get a half-second of lighter functionality, enough to clear up the burn line issues. I get a bacon-y savoriness. The Schezuan peppercorn is back, in flavor and tingle. Very interesting. A bitter nuttiness, like green walnuts. A floral soapiness that isn't unpleasant. I'm smoking faster than I'd like to to try and keep this thing burning properly. Gordos. The flavors seem more prevalent as it burns hotter, however. I'm enjoying it now, although at the expense of the last third, I imagine. A rich, caramelized sweetness and tobacco flavor covers my mouth. I mostly spend the second third trying to keep this thing burning properly, and I'm mostly loosing the battle. I am purging a lot to keep the bitter tar at bay. Luckily the finish is long and pleasant and smooth. I go inside to relight again. Ugh. There's that charry bacon flavor again.

3rd 3rd:
Coffee! It's like walking past my favorite coffee roaster while they have the roaster going. A kind of sweet charry papery fruity coffee flavor. Very pleasant. Floral note returns, and some citrus or something that is almost, but not quite, sour. The finish is a very bitter chocolate and coffee ganache. The retrohale gets interesting at this point with a toasty gingerbread. Burn problems are consistent, sadly. Touch ups demonstrate the contribution to the flavor profile from the wrapper leaf, as it is definitely better when the whole thing is burning properly. The tobacco flavor from the first few puffs returns, it's like cracking open a pack of camel filters and inhaling the aroma deeply. At the end of the flavor train is the bitter green walnut and cedar combo. I get tired of going inside to relight on my busted Rekrow, so I grab my son's magnifying glass. Ingenuity, baby.

I try to touch up with it and the sun disappears behind a cloud. FML. I've started to notice the effects of burning too hot/too fast, and the bitterness has settled into the throne, king of the realm. And now my son wakes up (an hour earlier than I expected) and tells me he needs to poop, so we are done.

It was a very pleasant, flavorful smoke that was marred by frustrating combustion issues which I get a lot of with large ring gauges. Could be me, could be inherent in the size, or who knows. At any rate, I do like these. This wasn't my first, and won't be my last. I hope to try the maduro someday.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
First, thanks to @Hopduro for the smoke. Now then, let's take a look at this-a-here seegar…

The label. Let's talk about the label. Since I quit smoking 17-18 years ago and coming back last year it seems like cigar labels have become huge, gaudy billboards which, while sometimes very artistic and beautiful, I am still kind of not a fan. The older style bands just seem a little classier, IMO. Now this has an interesting concept that I do like. The cigar is wrapped in a "script" that actually has some fun stuff. There's actual information about the blend used in the cigar which is a really nice usage of the real estate. There's a tongue-in-cheek humor to it as well, and the thing works nicely. Especially when, after peeling it off, you see that the actual cigar band is more "normal." So the outer doodad is more intelligent packaging design rather than a big ugly brand name billboard. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it removed without it tearing but there was no damage to the cigar.

The wrapper is a beautiful dark chestnut brown mottled with attractive black speckles. The seams are tight, and some small veins present. The cap is a little cracked, so I use my V cutter to avoid problems (of which there are none throughout). Construction seems mostly consistent, with no hard spots although there are a few spongey sections.
The aroma from the stick are creamy cinnamon, and an earthy something that reminds me of waking through a forest through the leaves and acorns. Very pleasant. Cold draw is a huge wallop of raisiny sweetness and cinnamon coffee like you'd get at a mexican diner.
Now it gets fun. My POS Scorch Torch refuses to work approximately 65% of the time, and this is one of them. I was already sitting outside, so I have to go back inside to light this on my Rekrow butane burner which doesn't have a working ignition 80% of the time, but I manage to get it lit and char the foot and light up. Back outside to smoke…

The first 1/3:
First puff is a POW! of nutty tobacco flavor. Starts off smooth and mild. Smoke production is good. Here's a hint of anise, and a schezuan peppercorn tingle on the tongue. It's not spicy, just tingly. Draw feels a little loose, which coupled with the huge ring gauge makes it seem a little too airy. I get a lot of nuttiness and a little pumpkin sweetness. Reminds me of this Bulgarian walnut and pumpkin filo dough thing I had once. The burn line starts to go awry. I was worried about this. I always have trouble with gordos and the burn. Couple this with my lighter troubles, and I'm nervous.

The 2nd third:
Flavors have tapered down a little. I'd say this cigar is pretty mild in strength and body. A good morning smoke with coffee. A light cedar dryness becomes the main feature now. I manage to get a half-second of lighter functionality, enough to clear up the burn line issues. I get a bacon-y savoriness. The Schezuan peppercorn is back, in flavor and tingle. Very interesting. A bitter nuttiness, like green walnuts. A floral soapiness that isn't unpleasant. I'm smoking faster than I'd like to to try and keep this thing burning properly. Gordos. The flavors seem more prevalent as it burns hotter, however. I'm enjoying it now, although at the expense of the last third, I imagine. A rich, caramelized sweetness and tobacco flavor covers my mouth. I mostly spend the second third trying to keep this thing burning properly, and I'm mostly loosing the battle. I am purging a lot to keep the bitter tar at bay. Luckily the finish is long and pleasant and smooth. I go inside to relight again. Ugh. There's that charry bacon flavor again.

3rd 3rd:
Coffee! It's like walking past my favorite coffee roaster while they have the roaster going. A kind of sweet charry papery fruity coffee flavor. Very pleasant. Floral note returns, and some citrus or something that is almost, but not quite, sour. The finish is a very bitter chocolate and coffee ganache. The retrohale gets interesting at this point with a toasty gingerbread. Burn problems are consistent, sadly. Touch ups demonstrate the contribution to the flavor profile from the wrapper leaf, as it is definitely better when the whole thing is burning properly. The tobacco flavor from the first few puffs returns, it's like cracking open a pack of camel filters and inhaling the aroma deeply. At the end of the flavor train is the bitter green walnut and cedar combo. I get tired of going inside to relight on my busted Rekrow, so I grab my son's magnifying glass. Ingenuity, baby.

I try to touch up with it and the sun disappears behind a cloud. FML. I've started to notice the effects of burning too hot/too fast, and the bitterness has settled into the throne, king of the realm. And now my son wakes up (an hour earlier than I expected) and tells me he needs to poop, so we are done.

It was a very pleasant, flavorful smoke that was marred by frustrating combustion issues which I get a lot of with large ring gauges. Could be me, could be inherent in the size, or who knows. At any rate, I do like these. This wasn't my first, and won't be my last. I hope to try the maduro someday.
And the Winner is @VeLoRoK next Cigar please:cigar: