What's new

Psyko Seven Robusto (natural) by @Ventura Cigars

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Psyko Seven Robusto (natural) by @Ventura Cigars

IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6853.JPG IMG_6854.JPG IMG_6855.JPG IMG_6856.JPG IMG_6857.JPG

Glad to find one of these at a local news and tobacco shop. While I’ve smoked about a half dozen in this vitola before (as well as the gordos), @Ventura Cigars are kind of hard to come by in the Philadelphia area.

Pre-light
When I took the cello off of this, there are two things that stand out right away:
  1. The rich smell of barnyard and tobacco
  2. The ginormous prescription like label that covers most of the cigar.
I really dig the label. I remember the first time I smoked one of these (I’m pretty sure both @Hopduro and @A Huge Nerd had given one to me before I bought a bunch more) and I thought the label was so crazy out side the box thinking. A nice, subtle way to comfort you into believe that this cigar is “just what the doctor ordered” for me that evening.

Removing the wrapper reveals a rich, brown wrapper with a very leathery feel. The smooth texture and smell are a great start. Let’s cut and light this one.

First third
The open draw bring lots of creamy smoke. I get some nutty sweetness and a little bit bit of cedar bite. Nothing strong by any means. This is definitely a mild to medium cigar at the start. Burn is nice and sharp. No touch up needed through the first third.

Second third
Still producing a lot of nice smoke. Draw is staying open to loose. Not an issue for me as I’m taking my time between draws to keep this stick burning cool.
Flavors are somewhat the same though the cedar picked up a bit and is now fading. Getting a little, faint hint of citrus in the background along with hay. Still get the nuttiness though it’s not as sweet.

Final third
Burn line is sharp, no touch up needed. Which reminds me that I should probably send @VeLoRoK a decent lighter. Better yet, maybe he got one from @Ventura Cigars for his review. Who knows. But that guy may need more practice lighting cigars. :)

Back to my Psyko…

Cedar is still there along with the hay. Sweetness has faded and I can’t really get much citrus anymore. Strength is still about medium. This would definitely be a great cigar with a cup of coffee in the morning. Of course, I rarely get to smoke a cigar in the mornings. But it would be pretty cool to get to spend some mornings with Joe and a Psyko. Actually, that would be a cool title for a book.

Flavors get a little harsh for me toward the end of the final third so I’m not going to nub this one.

While this isn’t the most complex cigar nor is it full bodied like many others I enjoy, I like to have these around for those days when I want to slow down with something mellow. Also, I like giving them out to others because of the creative and unique Rx label.

This cigar has a great price point to go out and grab a few to try for yourself.

I’m looking forward to trying (and reviewing) some of Ventura Cigar’s other blends (particularly Archetype Series B Axis Mundi).