What's new

Puffing techniques

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you do systematic puffing? I usually do 1 (maybe 2) short puffs about every 20-30 seconds apart, by about the 10-12th , I do a long draw or two quick short ones or however much to avoid tunneling so that the wrapper can catch up to the burn. I try to avoid using the lighter to fix the burn line as much as possible. Sometimes life just gets in the way and it can't help. And when the ash falls I do a purge and relight if it needs it. IMO it helps keep the smoke cool especially on stogies I start to nub.

Edited for clarity. Sounded contradicting with 10-12 puffs every 30-40sec for a cooler smoke.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
And when the ash falls I do a purge and relight if it needs it. IMO it helps keep the smoke cool especially on stogies I start to nub.
I do the same. As for my puffing "regimen," I don't really have one. How fast I smoke depends on how tasty the stick is; always seems like the better the flavor, the faster it's gone. :(

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Depends on the draw but I just take a nice medium puff every minute and a half or so. I don't try to think about it too much except if the cigar starts to taste harsh it's a sign I'm puffing too frequently. If the burn starts to get wonky I might do a double puff to heat the cherry up a little. I never puff out or "purge". I used to but find it utterly unnecessary nowadays.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've never really thought about it; I just smoke it however feels right. So my technique may change from one stick to the next - size, strength, burn, draw, what I'm drinking with it, etc, can all have an impact on how I smoke, I suppose.

If I had to pinpoint it I guess I'd say usually a short puff or two, sometimes followed by a longer puff. But ultimately, enjoying a cigar is more of an art than a science.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I've never really thought about it; I just smoke it however feels right. So my technique may change from one stick to the next - size, strength, burn, draw, what I'm drinking with it, etc, can all have an impact on how I smoke, I suppose.

If I had to pinpoint it I guess I'd say usually a short puff or two, sometimes followed by a longer puff. But ultimately, enjoying a cigar is more of an art than a science.
Seconded^^^
It really depends on the stick. If its a nice well balanced mild to medium then I take long slow draws followed long sustained exhale. If its really strong then I take it slow.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
2 very short puffs, followed by a medium to long puff depending on the draw, while turning the cigar 1/3 clockwise or counter (dosn't really matter) on each puff. Usually wait 60-90 sec and repeat... This seems to always keep a perfect burn on 90% of my smokes while keeping the cigar cool throughout the smoking session

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have never put that much thought into it. I just smoke each one however it feels right at the time. It's pretty much the same way for pipe for the past 10+ years and cigarettes too for too many years before that (before I was able to give them up and switched to pipes).

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Usually I take one short puff that I let out of my mouth immediately. Then I take a longer puff that I keep to taste until I need to breathe again.

Also, the looser the draw on a smoke, the harder each pull is. And vice versa the tighter the pull, the lighter I actually puff. I've found that a hard pull on a tight drawing cigar results in a much quicker buildup of tar and all-around nastiness.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hm--nope. I generally take three untimed puffs at a time, and the third one, I get a decent draw so that I can allow the essense of the cigar to linger