What's new

Puffing techniques

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I love this place. Great thread, an under-explored topic imo.
For me, much like many things, it depends. Is the cigar well made, under filled, over filled, what's the ring gauge or length of the cigar. Puffing well considering the cigar can make a good experience great, or vica versa.

Edit: pretty much a jinx with @multi-useless after reading .

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Two short, one long every 45-60 seconds unless it is a stick that gets my socks rolling up and down then it's Katie bar the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do about 10-12 short puffs about every 20-30 seconds,
Ummm..

That's certainly a new one to me but whatever floats your boat.

I just take one long draw every 20-30 seconds. If the cigar isn't putting out much smoke I may do a small puff before the long draw. I never retrohale or purge... just doesn't occur to me.

I always immediately touch up if the burn goes wonky.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
mine are getting spaced out more now that i am slowing down i usally take two soft short puffs and one long puff to either retro or taste about once 1.30 sometimes if i am reading or my hands are busy then i leave the cigar in my mouth and take very soft short puffs every 20sec

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The importance of this is something I'm coming to realize here lately. I'm just starting to figure out my own methods for smoking different vitola cigars. I will say this, to me a good burn is key to a good experience. If it's a meh stick, but it's burning good I'll smoke it the whole way. If it's a great stick and it's burning for crap, it frustrates me to no fricking end. Luckily I'm getting this more dialed in and haven't had any issues for a little while.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do a few short puff then a long draw. It really is more of what stick I have to determine how often.

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I gotta clarify. 1 short puff, every 20-30 sec, by the 10th or 12th, I take a longer draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not something I think about too much. I'm certain that I have a regimen. But not sweatin' the details is the whole purpose, so...I don't.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
A short puff followed by a long draw every 60-90 seconds. I usually have the time to take to smoke it as slow as possible. I really don't enjoy when the smoke begins to get too hot.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My puff regimen is dictated by the steel in my hand. Ordinarily, I am in the garage working a murdercycle. Or on the porch project butchering wood. As I go for the next tool, I'll hit the stogie. If it's been a couple minutes, I may need a preliminary puff or two to bring the volume to life. I often get two hours out of a robusto this way. A cigar has to burn well enough to set two or three minutes, get hit, and then set again, over and over. I hate to re-light a cigar. Tastes like crap. I find I get a far far better burn off my home rolled than I do off a commercial cigar. I think they take too much pride in rolling the damn things too tight, and they roll out of incombustible stuff chosen only for some dice roll of an exotic flavor. Gimme good old habano, criollo, corojo, rolled firm but not tight, and not over-bound. Less binder is key.

Other times I smoke in the man cave with a history or philosophy book in hand. Here, too, the stick may slip my mind for three minutes at a whack. It had better be able to smolder on its own. Not my job to keep it alive.

Not one to sit outside staring at the yard. I have trees to do that job for me.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I timed my 'puffs' once. After someone told me that 'one per minute' was appropriate. Longest minute of my life. I smoke fast. But, I do know that....stopwatch be damned...I do know that "slow down" was never bad advice to give a cigar smoker. Slow down and retrohale. Best things I learned on BOTL.