What's new

Pulled Shoulder

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Doing a little smoking this weekend...wood BBQ smoking that is. Thought i might offer up some pics so you alls can live vicariously, should you choose.

Doing a pork shoulder that i'm guessing is in the 8-9 pound range. Came from a local farm; had it butchered.

I'm anticipating this bad boy to take about 16 hours before that internal temp gets up to 190+ That's when i call it done. Putting it in the gas fired smoker at 11 pm tonight. Will have to get up around 3 am and 6 am to add more wood/smoke. I know from experience that it's well worth it. Should be ready to roll by dinner time tomorrow.

Will post pics during the process.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Sauce: 2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup catchup
1 tbspn fresh ground pepper
1 tbspn red pepper flakes and seeds

Simmer 5 minutes

Samich (Tenosee style) - heapin pile o' meat on the cheapest white bun you can find, 2 tbspn +/- sauce, fresh slaw on top o' meat

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Pork what's pork? That is some spendy stuff out in town here. However I can still buy it on base reasonably. The picking is pretty slim however. Oh well I will have to wait till I get back stateside for yumlicious meals like your making. I wish I was there to partake!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I want to buy a smoker.....any suggestions?
Pends on how much you wanna spend.

For wood fired, go Texas Smokers, Tejas Smokers, or Pits by Klose. All those are easily $800+. I got a buddy whos got a tejas...a real thing of beauty, but he doens't know how to smoke for sh!t. I don't have his kind of money so I use a gas fired SS upright i got at Cabelas...i think i paid myabe 250 or so. I've perfected how to use it though. Can do just about anything. If you can do brisket you can do anything. My brisket is about 2 or 3 more tries from being perfect. I've got the pork shoulder down pat though...tough to mess that one up. Thanksgiving turkey is killer too. Apple brine then 9 hours smoked in apple wood...belongs on the front of a magazine...gorgeous looking bird.

As with anything though, practice makes perfect. The first 5 or 6 things i smoked were terrible by comparison to any decent smoke house. It's a lot of trial and error and experimenting to find out what flavors you like. For pork and beef i almost use hickory wood exclusively.

I could go on and on...

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
OK, here's some pics of this bad boy gettin all dressed up for his big date with the smoker.

Puttin him in in about and hour or so...after a few more beers.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Ha! That's an unfriendly site that only the wife gets to see!!! But i believe that is WAY TMI...too much information.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Here's that shoulder after an overniter in the smoker. 8 hours down, about 8 more to go. Internal temp is at 156.

And the other pic is where it all goes down...inside the box. The thing to the right is my outdoor deep fryer. I can do almost 10 dozen wings in that sucker. But better than that, it's gots 3 baskets so i can do one big basket with 5 dozen wings, and 2 small baskets with fries, onino rings, mushrooms, whatever...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The thing to the right is my outdoor deep fryer. I can do almost 10 dozen wings in that sucker. But better than that, it's gots 3 baskets so i can do one big basket with 5 dozen wings, and 2 small baskets with fries, onino rings, mushrooms, whatever...

That's sweet! I need to get myself one of those.. come to think of it wish I had one of those when I went to uni all the burgers, fries and nuggets I used to toss in the little electric frier I had would've tasted sooo much betta! No pics of your grill bro?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Yeah, it pretty sweat. I love it. Comes in real handy during football season and we have parties for night games...OSU Buckeyes of course. Lite the firepits, wings, keg o beer, Buckeyes on the HD projection screen...it's livin.

The grill is nothin special. Sure it's stainless, in keeping witht the other outdoor devices, but's also gas fired. I'm looking to upgrade to a sweet stainless charcoal. There's nothin like a big fat 2" thick NY strip seasoned perfectly and cooked over charcoal. Gas fired just doesnt' give you that flavor.