What's new

Punch double corona 'sale cigar'

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After my good luck with the hoyo dc, thought i 'd try my luck with the punch. 00 box date as well, if I recall, but from a different source.

Unlike the hoyo, I couldn't try one of the punch at time of acquisition because the ammonia stench was overpowering.

The ammonia has now toned down and I gave 'er a light. But this was plugged from the get-go.:sadstare:

The smoke aroma was enticing but nothing coming thru in taste. After 10 minutes of trying, decided to slice the stick in half and continue smoking the already lit end.

Now getting a good draw with lotsa smoke. Hot spice coats the back of my tongue and I am starting to taste good cc flavors complete with signature twang. Unfortunately, these are soon overwhelmed by astringent ammonia.:wtf:

I can only take a few more puffs before having to put it down. Even with such a short smoke, I can feel the strong nic kick.

Could definitely taste the potential but perhaps these need another 10 years.:sadstare: For now, still a definite miss.:cursing:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I noticed that those Sale Punch DC's varied from box to box. Some were really good others were just ok.

I enjoy a good Punch DC but there not 1 of my top 3 prefered DC's

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thanks bro, didn't think cigars should be passed on to the next generation but it looks like my son may be the true beneficiary if and when these ever come around, lol! :sadstare:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
has anyone else experienced a cigar still tasting like strong ammonia, 10 years after rolling? what could be the cause? non-fermentation of the filler? too high of a moisture content at time of rolling?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
has anyone else experienced a cigar still tasting like strong ammonia, 10 years after rolling? what could be the cause? non-fermentation of the filler? too high of a moisture content at time of rolling?
I believe cigars continue to give off ammonia as they age, they it seems strongest during the early "sick period," and some tobacco seems to give off more than others.

I wonder if Cuban tobacco in general might produce more NH3, since I don't find much in non-Cubans with the exception of some Tatuajes, which I think is because they don't age their tobacco much before they're rolled, by and large.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thanks bro, i still have much to learn about fermentation and ageing. just amazes me that a cigar can still have ammonia as its primary flavor profile after 10 years in the humi.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've had quite a few cello wrapped nc's that stink of ammonia when removed from the cello.

It does sound odd to be producing that much after 10 years.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I don't think it needs to be delved into too far...some cigars just suck and from my experience this is one of them.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Gonna take the opportunity to mess around with these. Wil sun-dry one for a week, use a hair dryer on another, and stick a third in the freezer. :laugh: any more suggestions? :headroll:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just an update on my experiment- exposed one stick to sunlight for 2 weeks (indoors by a bay window), appx. 85 degrees and 63rh. just lit-up. Draw much tougher now and little smoke produced. Ammonia taste only noticeable when cigar is burning hot from heavy puffing. Unfortunately, very little flavor left. Signature sweet Cuban aroma from the smoke but just a hint of flavor on the retrohale. Looks like the oils and flavor evaporated with the ammonia. Epic fail! Back to the drawing board.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I don't think it needs to be delved into too far...some cigars just suck and from my experience this is one of them.
:rofl:

I did not get any sale DCs , but I got Hoyo and Punch sale churchills and they are hit and miss, but no overwhelming ammonia.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just came back for LCDH Toronto, and found out they cant carry Punch (Cubans) in Canada. Something to do with the NC Punch company holding a trademark of some kind. Dont really get it considering all the other NC brands are here with no problems. To bad.