What's new

Punch Royal Selleccion 12's from 99'

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard alot of back and forth as far as to stay away from 99' or that 99' was good. It makes sense that there would be construction and leaf problems as this was leaf from around 97' which was the hight of the boom. I could see how improperly fermented leaf could be prevalent.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Actually Dave, the problem was more with actuall construction rather than leaf as I understand it. Tight draws and plugs mostly. This is more prevalent in longer, smaller ring guage smokes. The RS12s being 42 RG shouldn't (pay attention to that word, lol) have construction problems going by that information. No guarantee. That being said, I've also talked with people who have had no problems with their 99 smokes so it is hit or miss.

I know that doesn't help all that much, but it's the best I can give you. I guess if you get a box, pick up a draw poker as well. :eyebrow:

Also, seems to be quite a bit of 99 stock "on the streets" right now, I'm guessing someone was warehousing it and dumped it based on the pervasive rumors of construction issues. If you end up with a good box, you have some great, well aged smokes.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I've only sampled the 02's and 04's and enjoyed them both. The funny thing was when I tried my first 02 it was plugged and I was worried that the rest of the Cab would be that way. Luckily that was the only one. But I did have a few others that were tight, but not unsmokable. I have also heard in the past that the 98's were very very good. No info on the 99's though.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
99 and 00 RS#12s are a good bet. I've had a few tight but smokable draws and many perfect RS#12s from these years. Of course, I have boxes of other cigars that are tent pegs where others have never had a problem.

The tobacco in those years is just fine, but will vary like every year from marca to marca. HSA was expanding too rapidly in those years and had many poorly trained rollers.