What's new

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going on vacation to Punta Cana in January and was wondering if there were any cigar houses near to there that I should check out. All that I have found on the great Yahoogle machine is "Don Lucas" and was reading some reviews that said they were good but overpriced. Which brings me to my second question. I've heard something about DR sticks, something like their trade laws or something that doesn't let them sell their smokes for any less than you can get them in the states. Is this true? What's the deal there?

“Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.” – Alfred de Musset

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was there last year, October 2014 and stayed at the Majestic Colonial. We were bused off the resort to a place where was basically a tourist trap shop. They had a tour with how cigars were made from seed to cigar. Very interesting stuff, I just don't remember the name of the place for the life of me. They push their local hand rolled cigars on you, never really push the CC's your way.

I actually had a few Leon Jimines which is apparently all Dominican tobaccos and it was really nice. You can get them here too if you find the right websites. Cigars International has them.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Most of the Dominican cigars are from the free trade area. Basically that means that they are for export only. In order to be sold in the DR, they would have to be exported and then re-imported into the country making them more expensive than you could find them for here. 99% of the cc's you find will be fakes. Best advice is to bring a travel humidor filled with your favorite cigars and have a great time. I smoked everywhere including in the pool and no one cared at all. Just bring your own or you may not be happy with the selection. There are a lot of local hand rolled cigars that are pretty good. Just freeze them if you bring any back.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Most of the Dominican cigars are from the free trade area. Basically that means that they are for export only. In order to be sold in the DR, they would have to be exported and then re-imported into the country making them more expensive than you could find them for here. 99% of the cc's you find will be fakes. Best advice is to bring a travel humidor filled with your favorite cigars and have a great time. I smoked everywhere including in the pool and no one cared at all. Just bring your own or you may not be happy with the selection. There are a lot of local hand rolled cigars that are pretty good. Just freeze them if you bring any back.
He hit the nail on the head. I took I think 20 or so cigars with me in my travel humidors. I came home with maybe 2 from my stash and a few I picked up while in the D.R. I smoked like a chimney at least 2x a day, depending on what we all had planned. Check with the resort though, I was allowed to smoke in my room and all over the property except the restaurants and buffet. They were cool with us smoking in the pools too.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
He hit the nail on the head. I took I think 20 or so cigars with me in my travel humidors. I came home with maybe 2 from my stash and a few I picked up while in the D.R. I smoked like a chimney at least 2x a day, depending on what we all had planned. Check with the resort though, I was allowed to smoke in my room and all over the property except the restaurants and buffet. They were cool with us smoking in the pools too.
Make sure to grab a raft for your ashtray.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there last year, October 2014 and stayed at the Majestic Colonial. We were bused off the resort to a place where was basically a tourist trap shop. They had a tour with how cigars were made from seed to cigar. Very interesting stuff, I just don't remember the name of the place for the life of me. They push their local hand rolled cigars on you, never really push the CC's your way.

I actually had a few Leon Jimines which is apparently all Dominican tobaccos and it was really nice. You can get them here too if you find the right websites. Cigars International has them.
Was it the Bravado Runners Tour? I f so that's the one I took when I was there in Oct. Had quite a few of those Leons.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk