What's new

Purchased my first wineador

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post! I just purchased my first wineador this week. It is a Whynter CHC-251S Stainless Steel Cigar Cooler Humidor, 2.5 Cubic Feet. Got it on amazon at an amazing deal! Anyway, I have wiped it down and am currently letting it run with crumpled up newspaper inside. I am getting ready to place my beads in it this weekend and was wondering does everyone plug the small drain hole in the back? I'm assuming I must in order to make it air tight.....but am wondering why they would sell them with a hole if it is specifically designed to be a humidor. I have been reading forums for weeks and trying to absorb as much information as possibly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Nice Job..... another one bites the dust , Now get it ready and fill it UP !

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I started herfing when my second daughter was born 7 months ago. Since then, I have purchased 3 desktop humidors and am already stepping up my game!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
even tho you bought it off the shelf as a cigar humidor, it is just the manufacturer cashing in on the cigar market. it is still a wine fridge, fitted with cedar drawers and shelves.
that said, you only need to be worried about any holes on the inside of the humi. if there is any hole, it should be at the bottom, which would act as an outlet for any puddling water that accumulates from condensation, etc. just use some electrical tape and cover up any holes and you should be good.

also, there is no need to fill it with newspaper to get rid of any "plasticy" smell. just put the shelves and drawers back in, fill it with cigars, and add your humidity source (beads, KL, boveda, etc). the smell of cigars will overcome and replace the plastic smell very quickly. since it is brand new, i would suggest checking it often (Rh as well as temp). once you get it to stay near or at your desired RH, you can check it less often. its not an exact science, so you will never be able to "set it and forget it". i still check on my winos at least once per week - id rather do that than have my stash of cigars get ruined.

and.. congrats on your purchase!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even tho you bought it off the shelf as a cigar humidor, it is just the manufacturer cashing in on the cigar market. it is still a wine fridge, fitted with cedar drawers and shelves.
that said, you only need to be worried about any holes on the inside of the humi. if there is any hole, it should be at the bottom, which would act as an outlet for any puddling water that accumulates from condensation, etc. just use some electrical tape and cover up any holes and you should be good.

also, there is no need to fill it with newspaper to get rid of any "plasticy" smell. just put the shelves and drawers back in, fill it with cigars, and add your humidity source (beads, KL, boveda, etc). the smell of cigars will overcome and replace the plastic smell very quickly. since it is brand new, i would suggest checking it often (Rh as well as temp). once you get it to stay near or at your desired RH, you can check it less often. its not an exact science, so you will never be able to "set it and forget it". i still check on my winos at least once per week - id rather do that than have my stash of cigars get ruined.

and.. congrats on your purchase!
Thanks. Pretty much answered my question perfectly. Put comes the paper after work today, and in go the sticks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. Just wiped the shelves, added some bowls of DW and a couple bags of heartfelt beads. Now we wait!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

Congrats.

Those water pillows don't do much especially when they're not full. When they are , I don't think they're a two way humidification product.

If you don't think your kitty litter/beads are not enough, buy some bovedas.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Congrats.

Those water pillows don't do much especially when they're not full. When they are , I don't think they're a two way humidification product.

If you don't think your kitty litter/beads are not enough, buy some bovedas.
Definitely not a real humidor pkg. I get them in every order from Neptune, think it's just a make you feel good about the purchase, or maybe a slight temp/ humidity output for shipping, I've tried just those in a humidor, n tuppaware n nada, need the real thing

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Definitely not a real humidor pkg. I get them in every order from Neptune, think it's just a make you feel good about the purchase, or maybe a slight temp/ humidity output for shipping, I've tried just those in a humidor, n tuppaware n nada, need the real thing
They work fine with beads. Just put them in distilled water until they're half/three quarters full.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Not saying any answer in here has been wrong, but if it were me, I'd take out both the water pillows and the beads, and just leave in the dishes of DW. In my opinion, you want a higher amount of humidity in there to charge up the wood. The beads will start to absorb the humidity and bring it to a lower level. Maybe the pillows too? Either way will eventually get the job done, though a lower humidity level may take longer.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Not saying any answer in here has been wrong, but if it were me, I'd take out both the water pillows and the beads, and just leave in the dishes of DW. In my opinion, you want a higher amount of humidity in there to charge up the wood. The beads will start to absorb the humidity and bring it to a lower level. Maybe the pillows too? Either way will eventually get the job done, though a lower humidity level may take longer.
I agree with this. I always like to season the wood for a few days to a week at a higher RH. I've always used just distilled water and a sponge (clean, new, and rinsed out thoroughly) soaked but not dripping with distilled water. After that, put in the beads and let it level out close to the target RH then load it up.