havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
Quai d’Orsay Panatellas 2001

7” x 33, Ninfas

Factory: Romeo y Julietta

Visual:

This thin, elegant cigar has a Colorado rosado streaked capa, with some minor veining. The capa had a fairly rough tooth to it, and it wasn’t exactly the pleasantest thing to look at up close. But it retained a good deal of oils, and hence, it wasn’t frightenling bad to look at.

13/15

Construction:

The leaves in the filler were definitely booked, as to be expected of a product of the Romeo y Julietta factory. Serveral nominal veins were present in the filler. The light foot seemed to indicate a lack of ligero (as expected), as the composition of the cigar seemed to be made mainly of seco, with nominal amounts of volado. The three-seam cap was expertly applied to the cigar. The cigar did not seem to have any hard spots to it, which was a pleasant surprise. As it was smoked, the cigar held on to its ash very well. I only had to remove the ash twice during the length of the entire cigar, both times when it had attained lengths greater than 2 ½”. Relighting wasn’t necessary, as it burnt evenly down, all the way to the last inch, in spite of occasional gusts of wind. Partially due to the fact that I drew on it very slowly, the smoke did not become hot during the entire length of the cigar. Only once it got down to a stub of a half an inch did the smoke begin to heat up.

Construction: 14/15

Pre-Light

Upon cutting the cigar, the draw was surprisingly easy for a cigar of this narrow girth. The flavor was very mild, like the Romeo y Julietta Cedros de Luxe. Minimal amounts of cedar were present, the flavors present before it was lit were mainly made up of straight Cuban tobacco.

Flavor

This cigar was very complex. It started out with a bit of a punch, with the grassy and marked tobacco flavors present in the Cuaba Divinos, but quickly retreated to a solid core of nuts (cashews and pistachios especially) with light touches of white pepper with a hint of vanilla. The medium bodied flavors built up throughout the cigar, and the flavors changed to the point that the initial nutty flavors were overpowered by a marked cedary floral core. The cigar had a very delectable floral finish.

Flavor: 61/65

Overall: 88/100

This cigar is a very good cigar, especially as the first cigar of the day. It is very complex and very nuanced. One must take great care to smoke it very slowly. I was able to nurse this one out to about an hour and forty five minutes, but I smoked it down to the nub. Its mild to medium bodied flavors are very condusive to those who like the Romeo y Julietta line of cigars. It is a shame that this is the last ninfa that still remains in production, but the overwhelming trend towards 60 ring gauge cigars full-bodied seems to rule out any resurgence for these thin, elegant, pencil shaped cigars. They just aren’t everybody’s cup of tea these days.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for great review. I've never tried one of these but have always been curious as to how they were and you don't seem to hear much about them I'll have to add them to my try list. When you say the filler is booked what does that mean?

havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
There are two ways of rolling a cigar by hand. The easier way is the "booking method," where multiple leaves are placed on top of each other, and then the tobacco leaves are folded one layer on top of the other, simmilar to origami. The entubar method is a bit more difficult and time consuming. The leaves are folded and rolled individually, and then are bunched together by hand, and then the binder is rolled on to them, and they are then placed in the mold. With the "booking" method, if one fails to firmly grasp the bunch at any point before the binder is affixed, chances are that the bunch will not fall apart. However, with booking, based on the veining and striations and thickenss of the leaves in question in the cigar, it is more likely that if the cigar is going to be especially tight or plugged. With the entubar method, the bunch will pop open, and one will have to start from scratch. It takes more experience to roll using the entubar method. The Fuente VSG and Opus X's are rolled with this method, as are all of the cigars which are rolled at El Laguito, especially the Trinidad Funadores. I've never had a plugged cigar from El Laguito.