What's new

Question about blending.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was recently watching a "how to review a cigar" video and one of the guys mentioned that a lot of the flavor is in the top, or tip I guess, of the leaf. He said some companies will tear off the top half of the cigars and pack them in to the head of the cigar to give it an initial "pop" of flavor. Has anyone heard of or tried this technique? Is it just speculation or is it something to consider when bunching?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I was recently watching a "how to review a cigar" video and one of the guys mentioned that a lot of the flavor is in the top, or tip I guess, of the leaf. He said some companies will tear off the top half of the cigars and pack them in to the head of the cigar to give it an initial "pop" of flavor. Has anyone heard of or tried this technique? Is it just speculation or is it something to consider when bunching?
I've seen this done in a video recently. As to whether it's worth considering, anything is worth considering. I've never seen it before. I got the impression it was just part of his rolling style because the tip he tore off and stuffed was originally overhanging the top edge of his binder at the start. Didn't occur to me he was going for a flavor burst effect, especially since that was going to be mostly tuck cut off later.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this done in a video recently. As to whether it's worth considering, anything is worth considering. I've never seen it before. I got the impression it was just part of his rolling style because the tip he tore off and stuffed was originally overhanging the top edge of his binder at the start. Didn't occur to me he was going for a flavor burst effect, especially since that was going to be mostly tuck cut off later.
Yea the tuck cut part of it got me curious if it was just something that was said as fluff or if its a real thing that will impact the cigar. My thought is you would tear the tip off and put the points facing down in the foot. That way after your tuck cut/light you would get the "pop" of flavor. Think I will give it a test run in my next blend. Try to do a few with the points and a few without.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two two batches I cut the tips and placed them about a 1/4 inch from the end of the foot. Did that to make sure I didn’t cut them off after cutting the excess off. They should be ready to smoke soon.

The first couple I rolled I cut the tops and flipped them. So the tips were more in the middle. I cant say I noticed a transition but I’m not good at noticing the changes.

I really want a cigar to taste the same through. I don’t want my streak to change as I’m eating it... lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two two batches I cut the tips and placed them about a 1/4 inch from the end of the foot. Did that to make sure I didn’t cut them off after cutting the excess off. They should be ready to smoke soon.

The first couple I rolled I cut the tops and flipped them. So the tips were more in the middle. I cant say I noticed a transition but I’m not good at noticing the changes.

I really want a cigar to taste the same through. I don’t want my streak to change as I’m eating it... lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean a cigar changes as you smoke regardless if its home rolled or if its a store bought one. Lots of reviews are done in thirds for this reason. Also stuff like how you cut your cigar can effect the flavors you get. So realistically you wont get the same flavors the entire way through. My thought in this bunching method would be to get the most flavor in the start of you smoke when the stick is at its coolest, relatively obviously, and try to get the most flavor there.

Let me know how it goes regardless though! Im going to roll a set tomorrow 5 doing this method and 5 not and see how they go.