What's new

Question about Bourbon

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At the Taste of History class I recently attended the young guy leading the discussion said that once distillate touches anything other then newly charred oak barrels it can't be called bourbon. I was under the impression that MGP and other large distillers shipped distillate to customers or barreling facilities in stainless steal tankers or plastic totes. The distillate is transferred to the required barrels and eventually becomes bourbon. Does anyone have any information about this? Can distillate be stored in stainless steel or plastic and still be used to make bourbon?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think he meant if it’s aged in anything other than new charred oak. Plenty of distillers ship distillate in stainless or poly containers and then transferred to barrels or in some cases distilled again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That exactly what I thought and tried to clarify with him but he was pretty insistent so I though I would check with the board. Thanks for your input!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, Michael Veach just responded to an earlier query, saying that stainless steel is often used to store bourbon, stopping the aging process. Glass Is also good for storage but less commonly used for anything other then final packaging. Guess I'll mention it to him so he can correct his notes!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yea, Michael Veach just responded to an earlier query, saying that stainless steel is often used to store bourbon, stopping the aging process. Glass Is also good for storage but less commonly used for anything other then final packaging. Guess I'll mention it to him so he can correct his notes!
Yeah stainless can be used for storing. I believe BT did this with Saz 18 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk