What's new

Question about cooler seal and a wireless hygrometer

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Got a two part question for all you smart folks out there. I purchased a Colman 120q cooler which doesn't come with a lid that "clicks" in the closed position. You can lift the lid with little effort, unlike all my 75q Colmans.
So first question:
What would you guys recommend I do about the crappy seal? I was thinking of putting a piece of weathering strip all around the lid, then duck taping it closed. It would essentially turn it into my deep cycle aging humidor. But I'd be open to any lather suggestions.

Second question:
Since my first thought process would be to tape the lid closed, I'd like to get a wireless hygrometer so I can read it without opening the lid. What brands have been working for you guys?

Thanks in advanced!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
As for part two, I've got AmbientWeather brand and haven't had any problems. I bought a higher end one that can handle up to 8 sensors, but if you just need the one you can probably get by quite inexpensively. (check their website, as well as their Amazon store)
Otherwise, if you want multiple sensors to use in your day to day humis as well, let me know and I'll go through my purchase research with ya!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
It's a few months old. It looks like it was just the way it was designed. It would have been crazy to pay for return shipping anyhow.
Clint, I was looking at those, they look pretty solid. I also would like to research the Oregon science one and the new Xikar one. I'd like to keep it somewhat cheaper, but I'm not opposed to spending for quality

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I haven't used the Xikar, or seen one in person, but I feel you're paying for name/novelty there. Pretty sure they're banking on sales to people who don't realize they're just taking existing technology and marking it up 400%+
Just my $0.02
No offense to any Xikar reps/vendors.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
+ 1 on the Ambient Weather wireless hygrometer Mickey.

I've been using mine (3 sensor version) for about a year and a half and have been very happy with it. I'm actually thinking about upgrading to the 8 sensor version like Clint has. The best part is that it allows you to "calibrate" the sensors. You don't actually calibrate them but you adjust the reading on the control unit so that the reading you see is correct. IMO this is the best remote sensor system out there for the buck.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I'm starting to not be a big fan of my ambient weather system. Had em for about a year, went to replace all the batteries and recalibrate. Now that they are back in Humi, one is permanently stuck on 75% (my humi has never been that high other than seasoning according to my xikar hygro that is alway dead on every time I calibrate), one seems fairly accurate and the third is sitting in 2 ziplocks with a 75% bovedas and the in a Tupperware and that reading changes +/- 8% everyday for no real reason.

I'm going to be making the switch to the xikar setup soon.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
+ 1 on the Ambient Weather wireless hygrometer Mickey.

I've been using mine (3 sensor version) for about a year and a half and have been very happy with it. I'm actually thinking about upgrading to the 8 sensor version like Clint has. The best part is that it allows you to "calibrate" the sensors. You don't actually calibrate them but you adjust the reading on the control unit so that the reading you see is correct. IMO this is the best remote sensor system out there for the buck.
Just ordered the one Clint bought, seems pretty much perfect for me. And for the price of the xikar one, i got the system and 8 remotes.

When you "calibrated" them, how'd you do it? these seem a bit bigger than a typical humidor hygrometer, which i typically use the boveda calibration pouches for. My thought process would be to stick them in an airtight Tupperware with a boveda overnight, let me know if you had a different approach.

Thanks again for the help guy! i think with a bit of tape and this hygrometer, my cooler should end up working after all. Saved me $80