What's new

Question about iced coffee

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How do you prepare your coffee if you plan on drinking it iced? Warm weather is on the way and sometimes I like an iced coffee in the hot afternoon. In the past I have prepared my coffee like usual and just let it cool. Then put it in a pitcher in the fridge. Pour over ice with some creamer when ready to drink. What do you all do?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I make mine coffee stronger so the ice doesn't water it down or I'll make ice cubes out of coffee so when it melts it doesn't water it down. But other than that I do the same as you.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I still need to get a french press. Been thinking about it for a while. Thanks for the link viva. And Heath, I usually make mine just a little stronger as well when planning to ice. Gonna have to try the ice cubes made of coffee.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How do you prepare your coffee if you plan on drinking it iced? Warm weather is on the way and sometimes I like an iced coffee in the hot afternoon. In the past I have prepared my coffee like usual and just let it cool. Then put it in a pitcher in the fridge. Pour over ice with some creamer when ready to drink. What do you all do?
I have a separate ice tray that I fill with coffee, so when I want iced coffee, I just use the already frozen coffee as ice cubes so it doesn't get watered down. Same amount of cream/sugar as a normal cup. Making me a cup now...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have a separate ice tray that I fill with coffee, so when I want iced coffee, I just use the already frozen coffee as ice cubes so it doesn't get watered down. Same amount of cream/sugar as a normal cup. Making me a cup now...
Same as me, except I make strong ice cubes with coffee from a moka pot, and then pour fresh drip over the cubes.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually, having just rocked off my first batch of cold process coffee, i will say it is a HUGE difference from chilled hot coffee, delicate and still full, very crisp. gallon of filtered water and pound of coarse ground coffee. at kev's recommendation, i went with a full-bodied but low acidity bean. as usual, he was right. ryan's link is pretty spot on, and there are plenty of other links like that.

as for equipment, i used half gallon mason jars. but a french press and some other filters helped separate it in the end.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
actually, having just rocked off my first batch of cold process coffee, i will say it is a HUGE difference from chilled hot coffee, delicate and still full, very crisp. gallon of filtered water and pound of coarse ground coffee. at kev's recommendation, i went with a full-bodied but low acidity bean. as usual, he was right. ryan's link is pretty spot on, and there are plenty of other links like that.

as for equipment, i used half gallon mason jars. but a french press and some other filters helped separate it in the end.
I would recommend that, if you like cold-brewed coffee, to drop the $40 on the Toddy system. It's pretty basic but it makes straining the coffee from the grounds really easy. It's not required, but it can save you enough time over a few uses to pay for itself in terms of your own time.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I would recommend that, if you like cold-brewed coffee, to drop the $40 on the Toddy system. It's pretty basic but it makes straining the coffee from the grounds really easy. It's not required, but it can save you enough time over a few uses to pay for itself in terms of your own time.
good point, but space is a REAL issue with my kitchen. as i really don't need gear to make it, per se, it's a win for me; pass it through the FP, then use filters in my drip brewer's basket (and really that was only because i was sharing it with the TN crew, i personally have no problem with coffee silt). then again, if it becomes a fixture for me, i will certainly look into it.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
good point, but space is a REAL issue with my kitchen. as i really don't need gear to make it, per se, it's a win for me; pass it through the FP, then use filters in my drip brewer's basket (and really that was only because i was sharing it with the TN crew, i personally have no problem with coffee silt). then again, if it becomes a fixture for me, i will certainly look into it.
I hear ya about space! I am trying to get rid of a bunch of small appliances that I don't use as we live in a townhouse with a small galley kitchen.

If you have a blender, there's a great video on Chow's YouTube channel about making cold-brew coffee in a blender: in case anyone is reading this and doesn't have a French Press and/or doesn't want to invest any money before trying cold brewing.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
made my first batch of cold brew using the toddy this past weekend and it was great. Nice being able to easily make a large amount of concentrate during the weekend so i can just pour the concentrate with milk/water/ice in the morning before work for a quick ice coffee without the prepping, brewing, and cleaning. saves a lot of time and i love a good ice coffee. Still going to make a hot cup using traditional methods (usually french press) on the weekends, but think i might switch to cold brewed ice coffee before work

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Fill a mug about 1/3 with the concentrate, toss it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, then fill it with (just below) boiling water. Perfect Americano!

Or just let it sit and bring it up to room temp and then add boiling water.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can' wrap my head around 'ice coffee' esp. when I'm addicted to Frappacinos in the summer time...something about having a coffee milkshake tasting better but at some point my curiosity will take over and I'll have to try it.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It's like having a soda with instead of a slurpee, Gary. Different times call for different drinks! :D

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Not different strokes... different occasions. Smoking in particular I prefer iced coffee to something like a frappuccino. It seems gentler on the palate.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Not different strokes... different occasions. Smoking in particular I prefer iced coffee to something like a frappuccino. It seems gentler on the palate.
And, for me, there is something about all that cream in a Frappacino (or similar drink) that just doesn't sit well with a cigar. I also find there's more earthiness in an iced coffee that pairs well with a nice earthy cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you typically like to add in milk and flavoring, trying some Silk Very Vanilla Soy mixed in with your finished toddy product... it's the staple coffee drink in our house in the summer times!