What's new

question for the Cuba experts

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm in Canada so buying Cubans is not a problem other than they are crazy expensive. There are a few smaller retailer here that say they sell Cuban cigars from Cuba. They are an in-house brand. They swear they are made in Cuba but I have my doubts. I would assume that the Cuban government would not permit any exports of cigars other than through Habanos. They don't want any "lower quality" sticks from Cuba on the market. I suspect they may be Cuban seed but are actually made in DR. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Black market farm rolls?
You may be right but I don't think so. First, it would be difficult to ship illegal stuff out of Cuba. It is a communist county. The penalty would be sever and the export inspections would be extensive. Secondly, these retailers have these cigars as a stock item so they would have to be able to rely on the supplier to deliver.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm in Canada so buying Cubans is not a problem other than they are crazy expensive. There are a few smaller retailer here that say they sell Cuban cigars from Cuba. They are an in-house brand. They swear they are made in Cuba but I have my doubts. I would assume that the Cuban government would not permit any exports of cigars other than through Habanos. They don't want any "lower quality" sticks from Cuba on the market. I suspect they may be Cuban seed but are actually made in DR. Any thoughts?
There is a shop in Winsor, across from Detroit (a little far from you) that I would make a CC run to about every six months. Last year, while I was there I happened to pick up a few of their un-banded house CC blends 6.5x54 @ 13 canadian (see attached photo). They sat in my humidor for six months, I gave a few away and I kept one. In June I decided to light it up. I am not kidding when I say that it was one up the top ten Cuban cigars I have ever had, maybe even in the top five. I immediately called them while I smoked it to see if they had more and could they ship some. At that point the border was closed because of Covid and has not re-opened. They do not ship to the US.

I have checked in with them periodically hoping to find a way to get more but no luck. When I saw your posting I called them again, still not able to get them and they are running low on some items. I am telling you this because of my experience above and I would recommend trying one or two from the shops you are talking about, assuming they are walk-in shops. You might find a surprise. I have not kept up this year with Cuban news so what is interesting about your post makes me wonder; Are all cigars made with Cuban tobacco made in Cuba? If so now, this was not always the case as Cuba used to export tobacco and cigars. There were even havanas made in Canada by the Tueros brand. Sorry for the info overload but I would say to give one a try.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does Canada have a restriction on cigars brought into the country by people traveling to Cuba? How well does Canada monitor Cuban cigars shipped into the country through standard shipping channels? It's no secret that Americans smoke a lot of illegal Cuban cigars so there are ways to buy them. Instead of black market a more appropriate term may be grey market.

I'd be curious just how difficult it is to pass Cuban Customs if you know the right people. Cigars are one of their few cash crops on the island so it's not a stretch to imagine a Sergeant Shultz "I see nothing" attitude

DyBl82nUwAALTiD.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Boudie makes a good point. Bribes at customs would be an easy way to export. I have been to Cuba many times and bribes are standard practice. On tours of cigar factories in Havana the official tour guide tells everyone not to buy any cigars offered by workers during the tour. Then on the tour every second person is trying to sell you cigars from their pockets. You know they are from the factory and the price is only a few bucks each! The managers at the factory just look the other way. Everyone is in on the deal except the government that owns the factory. It's a way of life.

Regarding bringing cigars back from Cuba, I think the limit is 100 per person. I can never afford to bring in that many anyway. I think trying to keep a store stocked with sticks brought back by tourist would be unrealistic.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As of Oct 2020 you cannot legally bring or import any Cuban rum or cigars into the US, not even from Canada. Google it and you will see. :( You can probably get the un-banded ones across once the border opens up or chance mail order from Switzerland. But I would never promote such activity....;) Being in Canada, as you are...the rules are probably different.

Last edited:

toke_masta

Maduro Madness
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nah.. Sounds sketchy. There are plenty other online retailers and some personal sellers online you can buy from. I've been doing it since I started.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are seconds and lesser cigars from cuba. It doesnt always have the prettiest wrapper, nor is it the highest quality long filler but they do exist. Like you see non branded/seconds from every other cigar producing country. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N986N using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
"There were even havanas made in Canada by the Tueros brand. "

Had some of these in the mid 90s, tubos about petit corona size.

Machine rolled, but mine were very nicely made.

Excellent smokes with 3 to 4 years on them.

For decades Cuban tobacco was sold to the Spanish arm of Habanos in bulk, and shipped to the Canary Islands, to be rolled for Spanish consumption.

Last edited: