What's new

question with a preamble

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the thing. Many years ago I smoked a pipe and enjoyed it but burnt hell out of my tongue and basically couldnt taste much except my pipe. I didn't smoke much of anything for years and then a couple or three years ago I restarted on cigars. I'm really pretty new to them. I doubt if I've smoked more than two or at the outside three hundred lifetime. Now, in the winter, it's really not all that pleasant to sit outside for an hour to smoke a cigar and though I do relight cigars from a day before, as you might imagine , they are not great that way. Anyway, thinking that perhaps with a pipe I could go outside and have an enjoyable 15 minutes of tobacco with no penalty, I picked up a corncob pipe and a tin of tobacco to try.
After the full taste of a cigar, I am finding the pipe unsatisfying. So....... I'm wondering if some of you cigar-pipe smokers could give me a clue.
The tobaccos I remember from back in the day, that I liked were MacBarrens Sottish blend ( I think) and I remember some Dunhill tins with coins of tobacco that were deliciously dark and smokey. I never liked the true aromatics. I also never found a house blend from a tobacco shop that I liked. With that very little bit of information, can any of you recommend a tobacco or tobaccos that would satisfy this cigar smoker, at least till the weather warms? Oh , the tin I picked up was 3 Nuns Green. Can't say I care for it

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
When I first picked up the pipe I tried a bunch of English blends from Dunhill and Davidoff which didn't satisfy. A forum friend suggested some strong dark fired tobacco from Gawith Hogarth and I was in love, well not exactly, lol. But it is the full bodied flavors I was looking for. Try Kendall Dark and Happy Brown Bogie (it's a rope tobacco that you can cut coins from) or Brown Twist Sliced which is the ready rubbed version. Also there are some really good full bodied options with Cigar leaf in the blend like GL Pease Key Largo and C&D Seersucker.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Similar boat as you. English blends are what made it click for me, Dunhill 965 specifically. Maybe PS Proper English, GLP Quiet Nights, Presbyterian?

You could also try cigar leaf blends? Never tried one, but they probably have some familiarity.

Sent from the Barbarino Batphone

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
For English C&D Smooth English really pushes the right buttons for me.

But for that "cigar" fix, Haunted bookshop, Storm Front, Key Largo, and #1 to try - Habana Daydream.

All of those are very nice.

Old Dark fired and Gawith Full Virginia Flake (thanks again @BigSkySmoke)
Really hit the spot some days.

And for va/pers Escudo Navy Deluxe and Stokkebye Luxury navy flake really seem to hit it just right for me.

I also really love the MacBaren Scottish blend. Seems to be a perfect middle ground.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think I should add that I don't believe it's a lack of nicotine that's missing, but mouth feel and fullness of flavor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for your replies. Looking up the tobaccos you suggest I was struck by how many are out of stock or sold out at various vendors. Is this a thing now? Is it seasonal or is it really that hard to hit upon desirable tobaccos? Interesting

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When I first picked up the pipe I tried a bunch of English blends from Dunhill and Davidoff which didn't satisfy. A forum friend suggested some strong dark fired tobacco from Gawith Hogarth and I was in love, well not exactly, lol. But it is the full bodied flavors I was looking for. Try Kendall Dark and Happy Brown Bogie (it's a rope tobacco that you can cut coins from) or Brown Twist Sliced which is the ready rubbed version. Also there are some really good full bodied options with Cigar leaf in the blend like GL Pease Key Largo and C&D Seersucker.
I would agree with these, and add Samuel Gawith Full VIrginia Flake.

Also I think I should add that I don't believe it's a lack of nicotine that's missing, but mouth feel and fullness of flavor
Having given you a suggestion, I figure maybe I should explain further.
I have smoked both cigar and pipe since 1980 and enjoy both. In my experience, I believe that the greatest difference is one of expectations, do not expect a pipe to produce the amount nor quality of smoke that is produced by a cigar - and certainly not the same experience. It might be best to realize that cigar smoking compares to pipe smoking like it compares to the use of cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Yes, all are tobacco, in the same way that apples, oranges, bananas, and pineapples are all considered fruit.

What I mean is that they are all different. OK, maybe that is an over-exaggeration, but it is a good place to begin this discussion. It is true that pipe and cigar are both tobacco, but I have learned that it begins in the seed for both (the types of tobacco used). And then of course is the form it takes in consumption - carefully filled in a bowl or rolled in a binder and wrapper of tobacco.
Pipe tobacco comes in a few basic varietals; burley (low sugar content, nutty, able to absorb flavorings), orientals (smaller leaves, and each particular varietal exhibits different "flavors/characteristics"), Virginias (not always grown in Virginia). Now there are different ways of processing some of these that would produce different "tobaccos" such as Latakia and Peeique. Each of these brings a different perspective to a blend. And they are each put together in different ways to produce different blends, and each different genre of blends can be enjoyed, bringing forth differing pleasures. A much greater detailed explanation of how these tobaccos might be blended could be a long story of the different genres of pipe tobacco - AND - each of those genres is truly as different differing fruits.

When it comes down to it, do not expect the same volume of smoke from a pipe that a cigar provides, surely you can get a pipe to do so by choosing the right tobacco and puffing hard enough, but the experience would be less than what it could be - the flavors would be bitter.
While a cigar is best smoked slowly, a pipe is best "sipped" - that is slowly, but even beyond that. When you slowly & contemplatively "sip" a pipe you will find and taste flavors that are not available to tickle the palate when striving and pushing for the large volumes of smoke produced by a cigar.

I am not sure that this all helps, but it has led me to enjoy each (pipe & cigar) for the unique pleasures the smoking experience brings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I would agree with these, and add Samuel Gawith Full VIrginia Flake.

Having given you a suggestion, I figure maybe I should explain further.
I have smoked both cigar and pipe since 1980 and enjoy both. In my experience, I believe that the greatest difference is one of expectations, do not expect a pipe to produce the amount nor quality of smoke that is produced by a cigar - and certainly not the same experience. It might be best to realize that cigar smoking compares to pipe smoking like it compares to the use of cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Yes, all are tobacco, in the same way that apples, oranges, bananas, and pineapples are all considered fruit.

What I mean is that they are all different. OK, maybe that is an over-exaggeration, but it is a good place to begin this discussion. It is true that pipe and cigar are both tobacco, but I have learned that it begins in the seed for both (the types of tobacco used). And then of course is the form it takes in consumption - carefully filled in a bowl or rolled in a binder and wrapper of tobacco.
Pipe tobacco comes in a few basic varietals; burley (low sugar content, nutty, able to absorb flavorings), orientals (smaller leaves, and each particular varietal exhibits different "flavors/characteristics"), Virginias (not always grown in Virginia). Now there are different ways of processing some of these that would produce different "tobaccos" such as Latakia and Peeique. Each of these brings a different perspective to a blend. And they are each put together in different ways to produce different blends, and each different genre of blends can be enjoyed, bringing forth differing pleasures. A much greater detailed explanation of how these tobaccos might be blended could be a long story of the different genres of pipe tobacco - AND - each of those genres is truly as different differing fruits.

When it comes down to it, do not expect the same volume of smoke from a pipe that a cigar provides, surely you can get a pipe to do so by choosing the right tobacco and puffing hard enough, but the experience would be less than what it could be - the flavors would be bitter.
While a cigar is best smoked slowly, a pipe is best "sipped" - that is slowly, but even beyond that. When you slowly & contemplatively "sip" a pipe you will find and taste flavors that are not available to tickle the palate when striving and pushing for the large volumes of smoke produced by a cigar.

I am not sure that this all helps, but I has led me to enjoy each (pipe & cigar) for the unique pleasures the smoking experience brings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Very good explanation(y)