What's new

Quintero Y Hermano Brevas blind reviews

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Okay

As you know we are doing blind reviews of 2nd tier cigars and sharing them with you guys here on the forum.

Cigar No.2 was a Quintero Y Hermano Breva with box code and date LER JUN 2012

The review panel consists of:

1) Me Hot Sauce
2) Calgon
3) pbibby
4) SrDuggins
5) Zen Smoker 222

Reviewer No.1

Setting: At my local cigar lounge

Drink: Henry Wienards root beer. This is one of my favorite drinks to have with a cigar. The sweetness of the root beer really complements the experience IMO.

Observation: This cigar is about 5.5'' and has a has a ring gauge of 39. The wrapper is a meduim chocolate brown shade. The wrapper isn't a the prettiest, but I have seen rougher. Cigar feels fine with no soft or overfilled spots. Nice barnyard like aroma to it.

Cut: This cigar cut nicely with my Cuban Crafters cutter nice and cleanly.

Prelight: I taste wood, tobacco and a barnyard like flavor

1st third: Fired this cigar up with my Zippo and get a good volume of smoke. Right off the bat I get flavors of wood, nuttyness with some light sweet herbal like flavor on the finish. The smoke is thick and heavy and leaves a nice dose of twangyness. I get a little over a 1/2 inch of dark grey and black marble like ash before it wants to fall off. The herbal like flavor fades away after an inch down or so and I'm starting to get a get hints of spice and rich toast. I'd say it's meduim in strenght and body.

2nd third: I'm starting to really like the flavors I'm getting at this point. Sweet toasty spicyness with a nutty woodsy cedar like flavor. It's not really changing much, but that's okay with me. Needed to do a minor touch up to keep the burn nice and even. Blowing clouds of thick dark smoke that finish nicely on my palate. It picked up a little bit in strenght. Maybe on the fuller side of meduim now.

3rd third: The spice and sweetness are starting to fade away and it's becoming more of a woodsy dark earthy coffee like flavor. Towards the last inch and a half it flavors get muddled. Hoping that it will change back, but it dosent. Lay it down at just over an inch. Cigar burned and smoked well after the mid point minor tough up till the end.

Final thoughts: I like this cigar. It's not the most complex, but I found the flavors and strenght to be to my liking. And while I have tasted these flavors in cigars. I haven't had one that I can compare this ciagr too. (Closest thing would be a Partagas like profile at times) There great value and a cigar that I plan to keep in my rotation. Just hope that the final inch and a half will finish better with age. I'll give it a score of 87 out of 100.

Reviewer No.2

Here is my review of cigar #2

appearance: lovely brown wrapper, velvety, some imperfections

Pre-light: aroma is chocolate and cedar, some barnyard. draw is great,

First third: creamy, cedar, slight spice. very pleasant, toasted nuts, twang

Second third: Spice and toastiness coming up, medium-full

Final third: more spice and woodiness, building to full

Overall: This is not a terribly complex cigar from beginning to end. But that doesn't take away from it. The unique flavors more than make up for complexity. The cream, spice, and cedar all play together in harmonious fashion. This is certainly something I will smoke again.

My guess: Partagas Super Partagas

Reviewer No.3

Number 2 is a much larger cigar than I would have expected for a short filler.
The cigar looks decent. The wrapper is kinda rough to the touch, but not bad. The cigar is pretty spongy. I hope this does not affect anything.

Prelight: Even with the sponginess, the draw is a touch tight. I think this will probably open up as we go though. Initial flavors are sweet cedar and cream. Nice touch of leather and overall very nice.

1st Half: Nice start to this thing. I get a nice floral flavor on the start. The first few puffs are really nice. My pre-draw comes through here. Sweet cream and cedar are there. A slight (and I mean slight) coffee note is there as well as a little leather to balance things. This is good. Toward the end of the 1st half I get a very interesting flavor. It's tough to put my finger on it, but I know what it is. (Seriously guys, this is gonna sound ridiculous) Marshmallows! Toasted Marshmallows. I don't know if that can be right, but that's what I got.

2nd Half: Thing is giving me much of the same right now. Solid core of flavors coming from this thing. Strength is at that medium maybe not quite there. Solid little smoke this is. The sponginess is having its way now. The burn is going very fast. It's starting to get bitter. It's also going a little flat. It is still trying to give me some bursts of that lovely first half, but the bitterness is quickly dissipating that.

Overall this is a very nice little smoke. I could smoke these quite often with no problems at all. I think the construction is what got this thing in the end. Either way, I will be revisiting these no doubt. That front end really was nice.

I'll go with an 89. The front end saves this cigar. Thanks!

Reviewer No.4

A 40 x 140 corona with a medium colorado wrapper that is very delicate with portions of the wrapper missing entirely.

Pre-light – A nice, mild earthiness with herbal overtones. The draw is loose.

First Third: Initial dry hay, earth and herb flavors turn into an interesting mild graham cracker taste that makes me want to come back for more. Fairly simple flavors without complexity, but I’m enjoying what I’m tasting.

Second Third: Mild graham cracker flavor persists with just a slight bitter edge – probably wouldn’t have noticed it if this smoke wasn’t mild. Just when I think this smoke might be too one-dimensional, a touch of maple provides a good companion note to the graham cracker, and the bitter edge has turned into a spicy accent keeping the smoke lively.

Last Third: The body has increased slightly but still below medium. The flavors become less distinctive. The flavors become more muddled and less interesting. I didn’t really find much to enjoy in the final third.

Summary: A pleasant, mild smoke on the verge of excellence but deteriorates into something less than average. 84 Points. My Guess: Quintero Brevas.

Congrats on guessing this cigar Steve!!

Reviewer No.5

Unavailable right now. Will edit it in, when I get it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
They were very good for sure!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Never had these. Around 2006, you could get 1996 Los Statos Brevas for about $60 a box. Those were killer strong after 10 years. I can only imagine what they were like fresh.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Nice review. Thanks guys.

I havent tried the breva's.. but have had the nacionales several times.. and have always thought they were a decent smoke for the money.. sounds like the breva is a solid buy for the price as well...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
This cigar really had some good things going for it. I could see some age might really bring the whole thing together for a great cigar. We should do this again in 3 years with the same sticks.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Steve: I'm curious to see how it will be in 3yrs from now as well. May have to get a 2nd box as I'll probably smoke through these before they make it to the 3yr mark. But at the price $2 and change. I can easily get another box to do so.