What's new

Range report: HK45T vs FNX45T

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I picked up a HK45T in FDE that I had to have cos it was so damn sexy, and a FNX45T that I've been wanting for a long time. I stripped both pistols down, wiping off all lubricant wherever I could find it minus the inside of the barrel. Celebrating a recent purchase of 2k rds PMC 230gr FMJ for a bargain, I headed to the range...

Todd Green got me into the 2k/no cleaning/no messing with the pistol at all test: run it dry from new, don't clean it, see how long it can go before it fails. Any gun should be able to do 600rds between failures. A gun you trust your life with should be up near 2000 rds between failures. And that is minimum. I have a 9mm HK P30 I ran that way that almost made it to 2800rds before one stovepipe. I added a drop of lube, and it's been running solid ever since. No cleaning. Important point: the test does not have to be from new. In fact, that will be when it's most likely to crap out as you'll see later.

Today I put 120rds though each pistol at 7yds for fun, trying to learn the differences between the two. This is basically the same as test-driving two cars in a day. Not setting any lap records. Just observing.

Here's the boring part: The HK45T ran like a sewing machine. Bone stock, and dry, it ate all 120 rds perfectly. Every full mag from round zero drove the slide forward on load. The slide locked back with the last round fired all the time. Just like you'd expect. Now I do have a '09 or '10 HK45 that fails to lock the slide back on the last round every now and then, but I expect that to be fixed up when Bruce Gray gets his hands on it for trigger & spring work.

I loaded up 15rds into a new FNX45 mag and BAM! Failure to go into battery! WTF! ON ROUND ZERO? The pistol is sprung tight as hell compared to the HK45. Maybe a bad mag? The only solution I see is MORE TESTING! :)

The FNX shot beautifully. The recoil was much lighter than the HK45. I thought I was shooting 9mm subsonic. Smooth. Fast. FUN. Then the slide failed to lock back on the second empty mag. Moving on. I'm 45rds in, enjoying the hell out of this thing, but I can't slap a mag in hard and drive the slide forward in the same motion like the HK. That does for ALL mags at this point.

At about 90rds, shit starts to loosen up. I can slap mags in while holding the pistol at a 45 degree angle and the slide will drive forward. Except one time, it did so without putting a round into battery. I took a look at the mags again since I marked them, and all 3 of my failures were with the same magazine. Next test I'm omitting this mag for sure.

All in all, a great day at the range with some new toys I've wanted really bad. I'll bring the fnx back with a Trijicon RMR for more testing without the suspicious magazine. The HK45 is going to Bruce Gray for LEM conversion, Heinie Straight Eights, and an action re-work package.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
TPOG...

Definitely interested in how the FN does. I wish the FNP had worked out for me, but it seems the X has addressed the key problems there. Though the FNX9 I handled was not very impressive.

I still don't get the "run it dry" aspect though. What gun are you ever going to use without lube? None. Plus, the 2k challenge says no additional lube, not to start it dry.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I can slap mags in while holding the pistol at a 45 degree angle and the slide will drive forward. Except one time, it did so without putting a round into battery. I took a look at the mags again since I marked them, and all 3 of my failures were with the same magazine. Next test I'm omitting this mag for sure.
Replied before this edit.

Auto-forwarding is not a design feature and, while appealing, should not be relied upon nor commended.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
This thread is useless without pics. lol The two guns i haven't tried are sig and H&K, I'm a left handed shooter so the "professionals" say i should love a H&K cause of the barrel twist. maybe i will have to pick one up. you willing to give a lead on the cheap .45 ammo?

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Utah, try LAX Ammunition for cheap ammo. I've shot 1k rounds of their reload and not a single FTF. Just ordered another 1k on Thursday and they showed up at my door today. I've been very happy with it for target ammo.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Update. All initially-perceived drama with the FNX has been dismissed as of July 4th. I ran 13 full mags through each pistol, suppressed with an Osprey45. Zero failures as expected with the HK but SURPRISE the FNX ran flawlessly too. I dunked the can in a water jug every now and then, so aside from being dirty as hell at the end of the day I was left with nothing but a giant smile on my face. This was also my first experience with suppressed 45s, and I hafta say it's like shooting a CO2-fed BB pistol!

The Osprey is a fantastic all-purpose pistol suppressor. It has removable pistons that allow you to swap barrel threadings internally and shoot 9mm/40/45 in every thread pitch imaginable. The HK was 1/16 LH and the FNX was some RH threading, so a simple piston swap and I was good to go.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have to ask, do you do your own reloads?
No, I just bought heavy during the ammo market dips spread out across '07-'12. I even picked up cases of 175gr FGMM .308 @ $0.45/rd. The only caliber I currently own worth my time to reload in terms of dollars/round would be 300BLK subsonic, but I don't shoot enough of it per year to justify the jump yet. If I ever get into .50BMG or .300 WINMAG then hell yes I'll reload those and 300BLK.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
TPOG...

Definitely interested in how the FN does. I wish the FNP had worked out for me, but it seems the X has addressed the key problems there. Though the FNX9 I handled was not very impressive.
I love my FNX 9, light,accurate and fits my huge hands well. Just sucks that 9mm ammo is nonexistent on LI unless you want to pay through the nose. Looking to grab a .40 cal particularly interested in the Glock 22 but I want a Gen 3 so I guess I'm going used.. For what ever reason I can walk into Walmart at any given time and find .40 S&W rounds.