What's new

Rant on B&M's humi rh% and Gurkha Cellar Reserve

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
While I generally agree with more is better than too little, too much can lead to fuzzy things from the kingdom fungi.
Yea didnt think about that... Thanks adam

1 problem I have with the BMs having to high an RH is that a lot of the BMs i frequent are lounges too, if i want to enjoy a stick there is has to be bought from there, so if its improperly stored its not very fun to smoke in the lounge.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
1 problem I have with the BMs having to high an RH is that a lot of the BMs i frequent are lounges too, if i want to enjoy a stick there is has to be bought from there, so if its improperly stored its not very fun to smoke in the lounge.
If you get to know the staff, they usually let you smoke what you bring if you buy something there.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Some of them have their sticks so wet that it's almost not smokeable. I don't know if it makes a difference but I try to get a stick from the bottom of the pile if I'm smoking it there.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
love that ghurka.., and bummed about the humidity you experienced. as someone who works in a B&M it is really difficult to maintain proper humidity with people constantly in and out of the humidors, but it can be managed once you get the hang of it. I almost always let cigars rest in my box before smoking them, I want the humidity the way i want it so it seems easiest just to be patient

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
if they store is busy, they owner is in a tough spot because if they door is being opened all day (especially if you get the customers who open the door and stare at the cigars for 10-15 minutes at a time without even taking one out of the box.) gotta try and compensate somehow.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I don't think I've seen anyone mention, that a some people buying cigars, don't even have a humidor. I have coworkers that go in and buy 2-5 at a time, and keep them in the ziplock bags for 1-2 weeks while they smoke them occasionally. A good ziplock will hold in most of the humidity, so in theory with an over humidified cigar-they should last a few weeks in there with no negative issues.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I don't think I've seen anyone mention, that a some people buying cigars, don't even have a humidor. I have coworkers that go in and buy 2-5 at a time, and keep them in the ziplock bags for 1-2 weeks while they smoke them occasionally. A good ziplock will hold in most of the humidity, so in theory with an over humidified cigar-they should last a few weeks in there with no negative issues.
+1 to travelingJ. casuals don't want to invest, but want a few for the boating trip, vacation, what have you.
You guys are absolutely right about that. I would venture to guess over 50% of a shops business is from casual smokers.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea didnt think about that... Thanks adam

Bring your own cigars but buy something from them first, then smoke what you brought. I mean you have to replace a smoked cigar with one or a box of cigars anyway right?!?!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing new to add concerning the RH of B&M walk-in's but I did have a Cellar Reserve the other day and really liked it. Not sure I'd buy another though due to the price: $10+ is too much for that stick imo.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The owner at my B&M has on occasion mentioned that RH levels too high is way worse and than too low.
my thought is that smokes en masse do not necessarily dry out as much conversly towith heretofore as would the general smoke output, burn charateristics, and taste senses would overhumidified.
the exception naturally being the smokes near the door, sealed boxes and the tubos. And to a lesser extent the covered foot and /or wet packed hehe.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The owner at my B&M has on occasion mentioned that RH levels too high is way worse and than too low.
my thought is that smokes en masse do not necessarily dry out as much conversly towith heretofore as would the general smoke output, burn charateristics, and taste senses would overhumidified.
the exception naturally being the smokes near the door, sealed boxes and the tubos. And to a lesser extent the covered foot and /or wet packed hehe.
I'd rather have my smokes too dry than too wet. At least when they are dry, you can still smoke them and you don't run the risk of other organisms.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Federal has decent RH and I would smoke out of cabinets if I had to (although I usually like to let them sit.) All other places I have gone near me are over humidified.
Reading all these posts makes me feel spoiled that I always smoke at Federal and all the cigars I buy there to smoke are perfect rh.

I have also travelled over the recent year more then I have before and never ran into this issue maybe I got lucky on the stick and or B&M. Sorry to hear you had this issue.