What's new

Razor plunge

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
So, I'm taking the plunge from using an electric razor to blades. Previously, I'd only use a blade if I forgot my electric (on vacation, etc). I picked up some stuff at The Art of Shaving store...

I was going to get sandalwood, but 3 separate cute chicks that walked in liked the lavender better.

The stand I got on Amazon, and the razor I got at Walgreens. When the AoS guy told me the Lexington razor (a higher quality version of what I currently have) costs almost 200$ (American), I felt like throwing up. A bit pricey for the other stuff, I walked out feeling like a sucker.

Then I shaved, and the results were fantastic! Granted, I'm using a safety razor - I'd probably be found lying in a pool of my own blood if I use those SE/DE razors.

I'm still getting used to using the correct amounts of oil/cream (I'm pretty sure I'm using double or triple of what is needed).

Anyways, it takes a little longer to shave now, but I am enjoying the "ritual", even if it is only once or twice per week.

Any other products that you guys can recommend? Am I missing anything? Oh yeah... The badger hair brush must have been plucked from a full rectum...How do I get the smell out of that thing??!

Last edited:

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So, I'm taking the plunge from using an electric razor to blades. Previously, I'd only use a blade if I forgot my electric (on vacation, etc). I picked up some stuff at The Art of Shaving store...

I was going to get sandalwood, but 3 separate cute chicks that walked in liked the lavender better.

The stand I got on Amazon, and the razor I got at Walgreens. When the AoS guy told me the Lexington razor (a higher quality version of what I currently have) costs almost 200$ (American), I felt like throwing up. A bit pricey for the other stuff, I walked out feeling like a sucker.

Then I shaved, and the results were fantastic! Granted, I'm using a safety razor - I'd probably be found lying in a pool of my own blood if I use those SE/DE razors.

I'm still getting used to using the correct amounts of oil/cream (I'm pretty sure I'm using double or triple of what is needed).

Anyways, it takes a little longer to shave now, but I am enjoying the "ritual", even if it is only once or twice per week.

Any other products that you guys can recommend? Am I missing anything? Oh yeah... The badger hair brush must have been plucked from a full rectum...How do I get the smell out of that thing??!
Chaz order a double edge from Amazon and just give it a try. You will not regret it. Unless you're too scared of course which I doubt... But then again you live in Chiraq a double edge is the least of your worries :)

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ah... A cartridge...I got my terminology wrong.
For a SE/DE, are there any recommendations for handle and blades? Or rather, what is a good dollar amount for a decent setup?
Chaz, I have a Gillette DE from 1966 as well as a Gillette DE from 1978, and both work great. The one from '66 took a bit of cleaning, then a soak in alcohol, but it's spotless now and works amazing (cost $12 I think). The '78 came in a bomb from @Mr. Guy and it works great, and may be a bit lighter *in weight*.
There are retailers that sell DE razors brand new online, but I prefer the old school products. I'm not saying there is anything new with the new products, not at all, just a matter of preference. Ebay is a great place, as well as vintage/antique shops.
In addition, I'll back what the last 3 guys have said, shaving with a DE isn't that hard. There is a small learning curve, but I think that came from years of shaving with store bought razors. But seriously, it's worth giving it a shot.
And since you're probably going to take the plunge, you need to know about blades. There are a lot out there, and they all claim to be the best, but here are a few that work great for me:
Feather Hi-Stainless - samurai sword sharp
Zorik Platinum - lower price than Feather, but almost as awesome
Personna Platinum - another great blade
My advice, buy a sampler pack of blades. They're cheap on Amazon.
Seems you have soap covered. If you have questions, I have a few suggestions for that as well.

Last edited:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
For a SE/DE, are there any recommendations for handle and blades? Or rather, what is a good dollar amount for a decent setup?
I grabbed my Parker for under 30... it's a butterfly open (the top opens like cargo doors on the space ship when you twist the handle). Love it, but now I want to see what a classic TTO (twist to open) can do.

The real trick is getting one that is a little heavier so the weight is doing the work, and you don't have to press.

Oh, and I have a smattering of blades. I'd be stoked to send you a sampler...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use SE for probably 90% of my shaves. DE and straight razors sneak in to mix things up, or for special occasions. November 15th always sees a certain Gillette style DE to celebrate our "birthdays". OK, so that's the anniversary of Gillette getting their first DE razor patent. As mentioned, there is a slight learning curve, but really it's more unlearning how sloppy you can be with cartridges and still get good results. Vintage is a great way to go, but if you're wanting something brand new, Merkur makes a solid product. Antique shops in my area get old razors fairly often, just a few bucks. New Merkur razors range from about 40 to touching a couple hundred bucks. There are less expensive options, some now even at Walmarts and Target stores, but the quality is also lower. Making the change can really turn a daily chore into a hobby that actually has you looking forward to your next shave!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
thanks for the info, everyone!
i looked at ebay briefly - without knowing exactly what i want, there are too many razors to look at, so i quit. also, i am a bit hesitant in having a used item touch my face knowing it very well may have been dragged along someone's taint and ball sac.
new it is! amazon has a parker razor for 30-ish. it also comes with 5 blades, which should get me started while i decide on which blade sampler to purchase.

im assuming that blades are universal, right? i hate when you go with a certain brand and can only use their specific parts.
also... does anyone have a solution to the brush smell? im thinking i should just shampoo the thing when i hit the shower...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Modern DE equipment has universal blades. No issues there at all. Brush stank will go away with use, you can shampoo it, some people claim good results with dish soap. Some guys like to create lather and leave it in the brush overnight. I have a cheap badger brush I bought probably 5 years ago that still is a tad on the funky side, but that brush sees pretty minimal use though.
Something to keep in mind when you start experimenting with the new razor, blades are a very subjective and individual results vary widely. If you feel like you're not getting very good shaves don't be afraid to change blades, it's really amazing to me how much the blade itself can change your shave.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Something to keep in mind when you start experimenting with the new razor, blades are a very subjective and individual results vary widely. If you feel like you're not getting very good shaves don't be afraid to change blades, it's really amazing to me how much the blade itself can change your shave.
I also understand that blades will perform differently in different razors... you just gotta play around and find what works for you.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I am a huge fan of Merkur, Parker, and Edwin Jagger. My daily (ish) handle is the Edwin Jagger DE89lbl. I don't know if that exact model is still produced but there is a similar on called the DE98bl.

A good shave is a combination of several factors and each one helps determine the quality of the shave:
  • How aggressive is the handle: depending on your technique, a lesser-aggressive handle could mean you're not getting a close shave or a very aggressive handle could mean your cutting yourself more often than some goth/emo kid
  • Your choice of blade. Feathers (which I use) are pretty well acknowledged as the sharpest blades on the market. With a lesser-aggressive handle (like the DE89 from EJ) makes, for me, an excellent combination. Starting out, I would highly recommend buying a sample pack of blades and deciding which you like. Yes, there really is a huge difference in blades. But remember, if you ever change handles, you'll want to test different blades. All DE blades are interchangeable but they're not all the same - ESPECIALLY when you consider the handle/blade combination.
  • Your choice of soap. Some soaps are "slicker" and will help the blade glide across your skin, others are thicker and drier. For the latter, that's when you'll probably find yourself needing to use the pre-shave oil. Soaps are different from creams. Personally, I don't find that creams have an advantage over a puck of soap and vice-versa. Once you get your lathering technique down, you'll be fine with either. Again, don't settle on one yet.
  • Pre-shave oil probably is the most... "controversial" of the products in that people who use it fall into three categories: some people swear by it and use it every shave (like me), some people hate it and refuse to use it, and others don't have an opinion either way as it neither enhances nor detracts from the shave. Again, in my experience, it's the soap you choose to use, your technique, the blade/handle you use, and your skin's condition (oily, dry, etc.) that will determine if you like using the pre-shave oil or not. Try several shaves with it and try a few without it.
As for the handle of a DE razor, stick to around $30-40 for your first one. Considering that an 8-pack of new cartridges can cost you almost $30, buying a new handle once in a while is a really cheap purchase.

You've already purchased a line of products from AoS. They are very good products! However, they're expensive. When you get low on those, come back to the forum and ask for thoughts on different soaps and creams. As for pre-shave oil, when you run out, make your own! Or, if I remember, I'll bring you a 2 ounce jar of the oil I make. Instead of $30 for the oil, you can make it yourself for about $1 a bottle. But, other than that cartridge razor, there's not a thing you bought that I would tell you to immediately replace. Great choices!!!

Finally, carefully rinse out that brush, gently squeeze out the water, give it a few shakes, and then hang it after each use - I have the same brush that you do: I bought it over 10 years ago and it's still in great condition!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Rdomfoto gave some great advice. Could not agree more. Razors are a personal choice. Love my Merkur, as well as my my straight razors. But, a straight razor takes time and patience, so I won't use one for a quick shave, I also use Harry's razors, which are excellent and a lot cheaper than many of the other multi blade companies,

But, stick with what You already have for now. Ask for suggestions later on and try various creams and soaps to find the one You like. Personally AoS shave cream/soaps don't work well for me, but I had to find that out for myself.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I switched to Double Edge. I use it in conjunction with my Braun electric razor (when I don't have time for a proper shave). I love the DE. Cheap as dirt blades, way closer shave than modern cartridges.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got my DE from an antique store, it's an old 30's something Gillette (I believe), cost me about 5 bucks and about 5 bucks for 100 Derby blades. Haven't had to buy blades in over a year.
AOS does make some good stuff but, like others said, is expensive.