What's new

Recent must haves?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I am so out of the loop lately. I am thinking I might clean out my humidor and remove any old or moldy crap and re-organize things. I haven't bought any new cigars really in a couple years.

I had an LFD Air Bender a couple weeks ago which I liked.

So my question is, what are some must haves as far as new cigars or brands that have come out in the past couple years? If people want to give like their top 3 or something and why they like them. (sounds like a challenge) :help:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
1. La Riqueza - Bold, spicy and sweet
2. Drew Estates Undercrown - Sweet, woody, and it's an LP :)
3 (this one is tough) CAO OSA Sol - Mild, woody, I get hints of bacon lol

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The original El Triunfador Lancero is an awesome stick and I think the Broadleaf wrapper is what does it for me on that one. Next I would say the My Father 1922 Le Bijou churchill and robusto really hits the spot especially for the chocolate lover. Finally, the La Casita Criolla line gets a tie for third with the La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor (Magnifico) - love the ethereal qualities of the Casita and the cocoa leather of the Mi Amor.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
If you are into big Nic hit ass kickers like myself, I'd recommend:

JdN Antano 1970 Gran Consul
Tatuaje Fausto
LFD DL Maduro Digger

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Casa Fernandez... Try any of them and you won't be disappointed.

Liga Privada... Ditto

If you shop online, may want to try Man o War or Genesis the Project by Ramon Bueso... Both on CI

EP Carillo Elencos

Intemperance and CroMagnon from Roma Craft, at Hava Cigar

Bone Crusher from New Havana Cigars

Last edited:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Intemperance is from the guys that make CroMagnon? Damn. Had I known I would have made an effort to make the event in town this evening. Whoops.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Liga Privada -- Some of the best cigars out there, period. Close to Full-bodied, very flavorful. Try the T-52 and #9 in the Toro size first, then the Undercrown Corona Viva.

EP Carrillo -- Ditto. They tend towards the medium range, but lots of flavors. Very Cubanesque to me. "New Wave Connecticut" is an excellent mild smoke, "Elencos" is an excellent close-to-full smoke, "Core line" and "Core Maduro" are great medium-bodied sticks, all LEs are great. He also makes the "Four Kicks" by Crowned Heads, which is one of my new favorite cigars.

Illusione -- Not sure if you're familiar with them yet. The original line is truly excellent and one of the most under-rated lines in the world (mk, hl, 88, 68 ... heck, they're all good and each slightly different!). The "Epernay" line is astounding (and that ones DOES get it's due), complex and smooth and very "Cuban." The round vitolas are a touch below medium-bodied and the box-pressed are mostly above medium with more spiciness.

Tatuaje -- The "El Triunfador #6" is an excellent flavorful milder lancero. The "Fausto" line is a great peppery full-bodied cigar. The "La Casita Criolla" is a must try and very unique cigar (to me, excellent). The "Petite Cazadore Reserva" and "Verocu #5" are two of the best small-format cigars on the planet.

STRONG cigars -- If you like extra-full bodied cigars, there have been a ton of great additions in recent years. The Cromagnon line is excellent. The "Surrogates" by Tatuaje (under the new L'Atalier label) is crazy strong and peppery. The Viaje "Skull and Bones" and "Super Shots" are both really strong and good blends. Also, for cheaper options, check out the blends by AJ Fernandez on CI/Cbid/C.com. MoW (Man o' War), MoW Ruination, MoW Puro Authentico, La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte, 5 Vegas Triple A, Diesel, etc -- all strong blends with flavorful Nicaraguan tobacco at a very reasonable price (really exceptionally good for "web exclusive" cigars).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
Illusione came up a couple times. I can't recall if I have had any yet. I ordered some stuff from new havana cigars years ago and liked everything they had. The amount of brands they have has tripled since then though.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
Illusione came up a couple times. I can't recall if I have had any yet. I ordered some stuff from new havana cigars years ago and liked everything they had. The amount of brands they have has tripled since then though.
I personally think everything from Illusione is great. Start with your favorite sizes, it's honestly hard to go wrong. They are much like Cuban marcas or the Tat Browns in that every size is noticeably different. I think the Epernay line is one of the best cigars out there right now, and I think the original Illusione line is under-appreciated--it's affordable and delivers great flavor very consistently. the new maduros are great too, especially the "hl maduro" (lancero).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1 - Ortega Serie D, peppery and earthy and strong(ish) depending on the size. A very well constructed cigar for the price with a nice box-press and some awesome flavor

2 - Flor de las Antillas, surprised this hasn't come up yet, or maybe it's for a good reason and you guys know something I don't. But again, for the price (7-9 a piece) I think this is a very good Nicaraguan puro (sungrown wrapper too, YUM) and is a step forward for My Father as far as medium-bodied smokes go. Very smooth, to an almost creamy point, maybe I'm just a Pepin fanboy, who knows.

3 - DE Undercrown, Corona Viva or Belicoso specifically, just my opinion. Another excellent use of the Mexican San Andres, which (I believe) was grown exclusively for Drew Estate? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rating - 91.7%
12   1   0
La Riqueza #4 is a great smoke IMO
Flor de las Antillas in robusto is good
Undercrown in belicoso
San Lotano Oval is tasty but on the mild side

I'm new to cigars and my pallet is not as refined as some others here, but I've smoked a few of these in different violas and these are what I like.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Illusione, Liga Privada, My father, Jaime Garcia, Quesada and Tatuaje are all on point right now. A smaller brand that is also hitting on all cylinders is Rodrigo.

One that doesn't share the name of the main company but is under the Tatuaje umbrella is Ambos Mundos, I think debuted in 09. It's rather cheap in price but the Sumatra version is one of my favorite cigars.

In my opinion, the two best NC cigars last year were the Tatuaje TAA and the Quesada Oktoberfest, both are out of this world.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Liga Privada Undercrown, No.9, T-52
My Father Flor de Las Antillas
PDR 1878 Cubano Especial
Illusione ~888~
Tatuaje Little Monsters
Tatuaje Cojonu 2012