What's new

Recent trip to Cuba

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just got back from a cruise to Cuba. Took a 5 night Norwegian cruise which stopped overnight in Cuba giving us almost 24 hours to explore.
So the good...its a beautiful country. I would have been happy just being driven around all day. The classic cars are cool to see. Definitely a unique experience. Several legit cigars shops within walking distance from the port in Havana. Some really cool cigar shops if you can actually get one of the shady tour guides to take you there.

The bad....well theres a lot. I saw more fake Cubans than Mexico. Every single "tour guide/taxi" we encountered directed us to shady cigar shops and told us to buy the "sampler" packs of cigars (see photo). They absolutely refused to take me to any legit cigar shop (partagas factory, cohiba atmosphere, any LCDH) I was told the boxes are "no good". When I purchased a sealed box my tour guide got offended and told me I made a mistake. (They get kick backs for purchases you make when they direct you somewhere). I visited close to 10 cigar shops. Most of which had legit Cuban in their sealed boxes but the weird thing was most had obvious fake cubans sitting out on the counter also.

The food....not great. We had several very poor food experiences with the quality/price of food and the waiters were horrible. I had some of the worst mojitos I've ever had.

You cant walk 15 ft without being haggled or harrassed to buy something which is fine....it was expected... the issue I had was if you politely said no they would either persist or become incredibly rude to you.

If you ask for directions, expect to be asked for money. When you are eating at a restaurant, expect to have random people coming up and trying to sell you things.

I've talked to a few other people that had exact experiences. I've been told that it's getting progressively worse with the influx of tourists inflating prices.

20180909_113056.jpg 20180904_135617.jpg 20180904_113948.jpg 20180904_113857.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for posting this. My wife and I are considering a similar cruise and we have a lot of questions. I get the impression you scheduled a tour guide and where basically lead along to where they thought you should go, how difficult, safe is it to hail a taxi, tell them where you want to go (English?) and just get delivered. I think I've read enough to know what cigar shops I would like to visit but I'm not sure about how difficult it would be to get around especially with very limited Spanish.

Hope you enjoyed your trip besides the constant trying to get taken advantage off.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
We didn't schedule any excursions or tour guides. As soon as you get off the boat there will be tons of classic car tour guides and horse carriage guides. We chose a classic car tour guide which was a great deal if you want to just drive around and take photos. For $100 he drove us around for 3 hours and took us to some really cool places. Where it gets shady is when you start asking for good places to eat, mojitos, cigars. That's when they are very picky about where they take you because they will only take you to places where they get a kick back.

If you are going there strictly for cigars. Just find a taxi and tell them you want to go to that specific place. If they refuse then try to find someone else. It took a few trys but there are taxis that will take you to a certain place if you persist. As far as safe goes I felt comfortable. Some of the hagglers were rude and aggressive but that was about it.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sorry to hear some of your experience wasn't that good. There is a lot of good food there, for anyone going, I'd suggest doing some reading up to see what sounds good to you. There are a lot of good options, within walking distance. And, there are 2 LCDH shops within walking distance of the cruise terminal, no need to ask taxis.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cuba has some of the best food, drinks, sights, and other offerings that I have seen in my travels. However, people who make Cuba into a business ruin the experience. Just look at "farm rolls" or "factory rolls" being procured by several people with known business interests. They're not even from a farm, nor from a factory.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being Canadian we could always go to Cuba.
We don’t because it’s awful.
The food is the worst. I don’t know where people find the good food.
I thought I was going to get shot one night,
Another time during the day uniforms waived machine guns at us and our tour guide ran off and left us. He found us a little later thank God.

ONLY buy from the LCDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and don’t take money it’s useless there. Take toothpaste, toilet paper, crayons, give-away t-shirts, that stuff is gold there.
POOR. Like poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
" Every single "tour guide/taxi" we encountered directed us to shady cigar shops and told us to buy the "sampler" packs of cigars (see photo). "
Pretty bad fakes,which makes me wonder....I would expect to find real bands on a Cuban fake IN CUBA.
The Cohiba and Partagas bands aren't even close. (look at the gold on these two bands)
Pricing in Cuba is lower than the lowest online vendor, BUT....you have to get there, find what you want, ( because stock is a joke, ) and freeze everything you bring back, because local consumption cigars are not frozen.
You can save good $$ IF you find the high dollar sticks in stock.
But, you still spend a bundle.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na
and freeze everything you bring back, because local consumption cigars are not frozen.
Nacho Daddy, this statement peaked my interest.. Just finished reading about the dreaded beetle. I now know what I have to do once I purchase my CC's there.
I am in the planning mode of a Cuba trip staying in a Airbnb... And I had no clue, I was just going to bring some humidity packs. I know the only reputable places are the LCDH, Is there a certain time of the year the inventories are higher ?????

Last edited: