What's new

Recharging Boveda Packs

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Been a while since I asked a completely n00b question…

Can you overcharge one?

I am recharging a packet by keeping it in a sealed container with a bowl of water (yes, distiller water). Forgot about it for a week and when I picked it up, it was really puffy and soft.

Have I over-charged it or is that possible?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I would think that the only downside to overcharging them would be that you lose the ability to bring the humidity level down if it gets too high in your humidor. By that I mean that Bovedas work to both add humidity when needed as well as dry things out when it gets too humid. If they get too saturated they would still add humidity if the RH level is too low but may lose the ability to draw extra moisture out if your RH level is too high.

Not completely sure on that but that's what I would think.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I would think that the only downside to overcharging them would be that you lose the ability to bring the humidity level down if it gets too high in your humidor. By that I mean that Bovedas work to both add humidity when needed as well as dry things out when it gets too humid. If they get too saturated they would still add humidity if the RH level is too low but may lose the ability to draw extra moisture out if your RH level is too high.

Not completely sure on that but that's what I would think.
Thanks Rupe. That was my thought, too.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Adding to the noob questioning theme, would it be advisable to put a second Boveda pack in with the first? Maybe to rehydrate the one and dehydrate the over saturated one?

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
Adding to the noob questioning theme, would it be advisable to put a second Boveda pack in with the first? Maybe to rehydrate the one and dehydrate the over saturated one?
I don't see why you couldn't do that or even just leave it out until it loses some humidity and feels right.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same pack for two years. If you notice that the humidity is rising then the pack is overcharged. Just put the pack into the refrigerator for a few days and it will dry it out a little. I also heard some people put a blow dryer on them to help remove moisture.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Over the past three weeks I have done a lot of experimentation with Boveda packs. Hopefully I'll be able to post what I have done to recharge them quicker, and fuller (if anyone ever wants that) however in a nutshell: I place several Boveda packs in a large airtight container with a 8 inch dish (flat) of distilled water in the center. The tighter everything fits, the better in my experience.

I let just the edge of the Boveda pack touch the distilled water - yes, directly touching the water. My Boveda packs charge in one third the time, with no ill effects or damage to the pack over three weeks of experimenting.

It is an ongoing experiment, that's for sure… And I have more that I am experimenting with and I will post the results for.

This is just my initial results. Ymmv

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just put a cap full of water in my humidor when i see it dropping. The drops are always gradual so is the recharge process. I've yet to have big swings in humidity with packs.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I am new to boveda. Mine dried ou this week. My main humi is under 60 which is why I found out.
I had been reading on the forums about the packs, and this thread about recharging them. And I have asked in chat too. The plan was to have a second pair of 69% to switches while I recharge the first one.

But Boveda don't sell around here (what's up with that boveda? )
So, it isn't done yet and the packs are already dry. I only have 84% as a replacement.

In chat @mdwest was talking about how you could just put them straight in dw for a faster recharge - 4-5 days.

Being that my humi is bovedaless (and that I have new cigars to put in there to rest) I figured its worth trying.

I placed my packs in a ziplock bag with dw overnight and already this morning it is closer to charged.

Right now I have one semi-charged boveda in the humi, and one in dw being charged.

The pack integrity has been challenged a bit more in liquid than the other method, but otherwise I don't think there's any wrong.

Something else that I tought about is the idea of charge/discharge when there's different % packs together. One higher dried while the lower absorb.
So I decided to try and recharge the small 69% pack off my dog rocket ziplock between two 85% packs, sandwich style, in a tupperdore. Will see how it goes.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
A friend of mine says the new brown ones can literally just be submerged in water. The white ones disintegrate, but the brown inches are fine. I've not confirmed this, but it's what I've been told.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I've been recharging them with a shot glass full of distiller water in a Tupperware. Takes a few weeks or longer, but works fine. Hadn't thought about overcharging them at all.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Interesting read as I wasn't aware that you can really re-charge them. I doubt the sale is still going on, but check out Cigars International and their boveda packs. They had a massive sale on them not too long ago.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Now that the warmer weather (supposedly) will be here soon, Boveda packs can be recharged a bit faster when you put them in a container with DW. I have a nice small Tupperware container that fits a shot glass in the middle and I stand 3 or 4 packs up along the side and then put the lid on. If I put that in the sun, the DW will evaporate faster, allowing the packs to recharge in as little as a week. And, when it's warm, that can be in 5 or 6 days.

Order a few more packs on Amazon so that you can always have a couple in the humidor and have a couple more charging at any given time.