What's new

Recipe of the Day

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just thought we could share some of our favorite recipes. This is one of my favorite ways to make steaks.

Strip Steak with Pepper Cream Sauce Recipe courtesy Alton Brown 2004 Show: Good Eats Episode: Hittin' the Sauce

4 (6 to 8-ounce) strip steaks, 3/4 to 1-inch thick
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
2 tablespoons clarified, unsalted butter
3/4 cup beef stock or broth
3 tablespoons cognac
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon green peppercorns in brine, drained and slightly crushedPreheat oven to 200 degrees F. Sprinkle steaks with kosher salt and crushed black pepper. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set on a sheet pan; place in oven to keep warm.
Add the stock to the saute pan and whisk until the crispy bits release from bottom of pan. Allow the liquid to reduce for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Add cognac, heavy cream, and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, just enough to coat the back of a spoon; this will take 5 to 7 minutes.
Season the sauce, to taste, with kosher salt. Place steaks on plates, top with sauce, and serve immediately.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
When I want a good steak I go to Pauls Chop house in Warren, MI. Any steak they do is worth the effort to drive there.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
agree with Jack. most times when i order a steak in a resteraunt, its never done to my standards. unless its a grill your own place.

i can make some awsome NY Strips on my very own grill. done to my specs...

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I made chicken with cashews last night

Ingredients:
~chicken
~cashews
~soy sauce
~hoison sauce
~oyster sauce
~chinese chili sauce
~sesame oil
~scallions
~fresh ginger root
~garlic
~baking soda

1) cube chicken and pan fry in large pan (remove)
2) chop 1 bunch of scallions, shave a small amount to ginger root (to taste) and about 2 cloves of garlic
3) sautee vegetables in pan
4) add a half cup of cashews to vegetables
5) add in cooked chicken
6) add sauce
sauce:
~half cup of soy sauce
~2 tsps of sesame oil
~2 tsps chili sauce
~2 tsps oyster sauce
~2 tsps hoison sauce
~2 tblspns baking soda
7) turn heat on low, toss ingredients in sauce, let simmer and allow sauce to thicken
8) serve over rice and enjoy

one of my favs...in case you guys ever need a dinner idea! :thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Having New York Strips tonight!

Turn grill on to high
put said steak on
turn steak after 5 min.
another 5 min.
And a perfect medium rare steak

:grin:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
agree with Jack. most times when i order a steak in a resteraunt, its never done to my standards. unless its a grill your own place.

i
Then your going to the wrong places. Gene & Georgettis in Chicago, Flemmings in La Jolla or the Palms in LA. Tell em CWS sent you:thumbsup:

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
sounds like a real tasty sauce there,,, will have to try that one! love the peppercorn sauce! Flemings, eh? i'll have to look into that one. I've had Donavon's a few times, and Ruth Chris! very good!! very $$$$

jeff

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I love going out to the steak houses in Boston, but as Jack mentioned I have 2 kids as well so I just dint get to go there as much as we use to. Flemmings, Capital Grill, Grill 23, and Abe & Louis. And in Worcester there is 111 Chop House, none of these have ever let me down. But I do love grilling my own steak at home as well.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Speaking of the recipe of the day. Just about to start cooking some chicken breasts and green squash on the grill. Just a little olive oil, garlic and lemon juice( let it sit for about 3 hours) and grill up.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I love going out to the steak houses in Boston, but as Jack mentioned I have 2 kids as well so I just dint get to go there as much as we use to. Flemmings, Capital Grill, Grill 23, and Abe & Louis. And in Worcester there is 111 Chop House, none of these have ever let me down. But I do love grilling my own steak at home as well.
I used to love the Hilltop.