What's new

Recommend me a pocket knife.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would also suggest trying to drop in to a gun shop or sporting goods shop to check the knives out. A lot of recommendations for spyderco and they make excellent stuff, but I absolutely hate the flip. I wouldn't know that unless I held them and attempted to deploy them a few times. I'm sure I'd have gotten used to it, but a knife is a tool and if it doesn't feel right in your hand then it's going to frustrate you (at least it would me. I need thumb studs or something protruding from the blade to rapidly deploy it).

This is a huge bummer for me because knives with similar hole cuts are the same for me, meaning I'm not destined to own a Strider in spite of my ongoing lust for them in pictures... Ha ha.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I would also suggest trying to drop in to a gun shop or sporting goods shop to check the knives out. A lot of recommendations for spyderco and they make excellent stuff, but I absolutely hate the flip. I wouldn't know that unless I held them and attempted to deploy them a few times. I'm sure I'd have gotten used to it, but a knife is a tool and if it doesn't feel right in your hand then it's going to frustrate you (at least it would me. I need thumb studs or something protruding from the blade to rapidly deploy it).

This is a huge bummer for me because knives with similar hole cuts are the same for me, meaning I'm not destined to own a Strider in spite of my ongoing lust for them in pictures... Ha ha.
I got really used to - and comfortable with - the hole in my Gerber. But the blade protrusion on the Kershaw Leek has become my favorite although I still don't really like the thumb studs.

But you're dead on - if you can go somewhere and hold them, that would be optimal.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
One other really important note - you'll probably want to loosen up the blade a bit and they can be really stiff out of the box. Do *NOT* use WD-40 or other types of similar lubricants. They will actually eat at the blade and can destroy the edge and the knife. They dissolve rust so imagine what it will do to the blade!

Instead, get some gun oil and put a drop or two on the hinge. Work it several times and then clean up any excess.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Lots of good advice, thanks all.

Question: blade shape. What do you all recommend? I love the look of tanto blades, but are there pros and cons to the different shapes?

I know I'm way overthinking a pocket knife purchase, but hey, with all this knowledge here, doesn't hurt to ask!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Question: blade shape. What do you all recommend? I love the look of tanto blades, but are there pros and cons to the different shapes?

I know I'm way overthinking a pocket knife purchase, but hey, with all this knowledge here, doesn't hurt to ask!
I don't believe you're overthinking this at all! You want something that is reliable and you're going to be carrying it every day and everywhere, so why not make damned sure you got the right one?

I *love* the tanto shape and there's one on my Amazon wish list that I'll probably get as a Christmas gift to myself. The main drawback that I've read about is keeping the tip sharpened. But that is also going to depend on how you're using it.

But here's something to think about. Those of us who are knife enthusiasts do not own just one (just like pipes, cigars, firearms, shoes, etc.). So you may find that, a year from now, you're on your third EDC blade. <grin>

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I researched for several months and settled on the CRKT Fossil, its badass, looks unique,compared to many hundred dollar plus custom knives, and a quick flipper.
The smaller blade always comes in around under 50,I got the bigger serrated blade for 55 ish on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-5471K/dp/B00I04O4RS

Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) 5471K Ikoma Fossil Serrated Edge Knife
Makes All Your Other Stylish Knives Extinct. It's a knife that harkens back to another era. But with a hammered two-tone handle and the IKBS ball bearing pivot system, this one will never get old—especially when it comes to cutting tasks. The Fossil combines the best from designer Flavio Ikoma of Presidente Prudente, Brazil. With styling cues found on his previous Sampa and Carajas models, it ramps up the artistic flair to create a piece that is clearly Ikoma, yet distinctively a new breed of EDC folder. The knife has a unique, prehistoric look. But it goes through jobs like a T-rex on stainless steel steroids courtesy of a 3.410" hollow drop point blade. A one-of-a-kind looking pocket knife, it features the IKBS ball bearing pivot system, combined with an opening flipper for blade deployment that is smooth and fast. A thumb hole cutout in the blade gives you a second option for opening the knife. The flipper also turns into a handsome finger guard when the blade is open. In the features department, it's survival of the fittest. While the Fossil is hardcore on the inside, it's gorgeous on the outside. The handles are made of stain-less steel with a unique hammered finish. Contoured multi-colored G10 handle overlays make it look like a gator. But the blade won't come down and bite you in the open position thanks to a frame lock. Reach for the next evolution in well-crafted everyday carry knives—The Fossil.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

A tanto has a more forward cutting edge than other designs and the tip is stronger, making it better suited for stabbing, prying, etc.. than many other option...

For EDC it wouldnt be my personal fist choice.. but if youre interested in something for typical routine cutting tasks (opening an occasional box, cutting a piece of rope/string, etc..) and self defense.. a tanto would serve you every bit as well as anything else..

a clip point (think bowie).. or a drop point (many of the knives recommended in this thread are drop points) are probably more "universal".. but, every blade design style has its advantages and disadvantages (a clip point for example has a lot of "belly" and is very good for cutting, and a thin tip that is good for "detail" work (you can get it into smaller places, etc..). but can be prone to breaking at the tip if you are doing any real prying or digging around with it (especially true on small sized knives where the tip is very thin and very narrow)...

But.. again.. if youre really looking for a basic "tool" for normal, everyday, routine purposes.... just about anything will do... just get something you like and are comfortable with..

If you have a specific primary purpose in mind.. I would then be more concerned about blade shape/design and make sure you get something that is known to work exceptionally well for that specific purpose..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have had this for years...works like a dream and if it needs sharpening....I use an old coffee cup and slide the blade over the bottom a few times and it's good to go again. Cigar cutter, money clip and knife with a very stiff blade that can double as an assassin's tool.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Last edited:

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I am a big fan of plain edge, lightweight folders with a pocket clip that can be repositioned. The Ontario RAT series of folders is probably the best value on the market, IMHO. I have a few in some different sizes and finishes. Very durable, multiple color and finish options, shaving sharp out of the box (seriously, be careful with these out of the box!), super fast deployment, etc. Can be had for as low a $25 or less. The RAT model 2 is the 3" version.
https://ontarioknife.com/folding-blades/rat-folder-series

Bearclaw

The dude playin the dude disquised as another dude
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've carried a knife daily for over 20 years now, and I've tried most every style out there.

IMO- simply put: the tanto blade is not practical for EDC. You will be much better suited with a clip point or a drop point blade.

I have several spyderco delica's and I love them. Half serrated is the perfect blade for my uses. But- that's a pocket clip knife. If you don't want something clipped to your pocket,I would go with any of the clip point/double blade folders suggested here.

A carry knife is a very personal preference driven item. Buy something and carry it. You'll eventually end up with another blade or two you like, for other situations, after carrying one regularly.

I carry a pocket clip half serrated folder on the weekends, and a light weight clip point smooth sided folder at work.