What's new

Recommend some craft beer to me

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
So I'm not a huge beer guy. Okay I'm not a beer guy at all, bourbon, oh sweet sweet bourbon, is my libation of choice, but I would like to expand a bit and maybe, just maybe, start drinking beer with more frequency. That's where you all come in!

When I have had beer in the past I've enjoyed hefeweizens (Hacker-Pschorr), pale lager (Corona) and Blue Moon (whatever that is). I most recently had a scottish ale from Bells that I enjoyed and I like the occasional sour as well.

What I don't like is anything too hoppy, too sweet (BCBS is too sweet for me, but I think I liked Dragon's Milk) or to expensive while I'm just starting out.

So any recommendations?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
A nice IPA that isn't too hoppy that I would recommend if you get it in your area is cigar city's jai alai and a stout I would recommend is oskar blue's ten fidy

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Few solid readilies off the cuff
Victory - Storm King
North Coast - Old Rasputin (some sweetness)
Stone - Oaked Double Bastard

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What have you had that was too hoppy and what did you dislike? The bitterness or something else about those hops (too floral, grapefruit, etc.)?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If you're a bourbon guy I'd recommend DuClaws retribution. Old Rasputin is another good one I have a list a mile long but I'd give that retribution a shot its aged in bourbon barrels and has a hint of bourbon on the finish.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
yeah it seems like bourbon barrel aged stuff might be a good choice for you to try.

great divide yeti and espresso yeti are really good....or if yur in the illinoise area and can get some Goose Island bourbon county stout that's a very rare treat. Dragons milk is another good on that's pretty much always readily available.

I on the other hand am a fan of ipas, wheats, ales etc. Bells Two Hearted ale is consistently ranked very high by beer enthusiasts and is available even at most grocery stores. check that one out. I also like pretty much anything from Goose Island, Great Lakes Brewing, New Belgium, Magic Hat...the list goes on. beer is amazing

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
What have you had that was too hoppy and what did you dislike? The bitterness or something else about those hops (too floral, grapefruit, etc.)?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I would say it's the bitterness I dislike. I don't really mind the floral or tartness (I don't think anyways LOL)

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Try left hand Brewer milk stout nitro. Very creamy but not very sweet. Someone that's just getting into craft beer I say start with stouts, Porters, and ales. Not hoppy and tons of options. Also blue moon is is a wheat ale.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love drinking local craft... So, for me, it's Prairie Bomb, Prairie Pirate Bomb, Prairie Standard.. Dead Armadillo Deadball Houligan, Amber ale.. Marshall Sundown Wheat, Arrowhead pale ale...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I love drinking local craft... So, for me, it's Prairie Bomb, Prairie Pirate Bomb, Prairie Standard.. Dead Armadillo Deadball Houligan, Amber ale.. Marshall Sundown Wheat, Arrowhead pale ale...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Pirate Bomb is the best stout I've ever had. I'm very jealous you get it in your area.