What's new

Recording and mixing guys...let's see your studio space. Large or small!!!

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I know there is a guitar gear thread and I would imagine at least some of you guys have the means to record...be it a simple setup or something more elaborate.

Long story short with me, I stopped playing guitar in the mid/late 2000s and went 15 years without playing until I got back into it a few years ago. At that point, I wanted to be able to record myself for covers and what not...just for fun as a hobby, so I set up a simple recording rig. Then I started to get into doing collaborations on YouTube with other musicians and I really started getting into the mixing aspect of the game. This year, I decided that I wanted to take the next step and start to transition my hobby into a business, so I invested in some better, more capable gear and started a redesign of my basement, which is were the studio lives. The demo/rebuild of the basement has been pushed until later this year due to other priorities, but gear-wise, I'm pretty much up and running as far as having all the essentials...some more gear will be added over time just to give me more options and flexibility

Anyway...here's the current state of Swede Studios.

PXL_20220401_201006583_2.jpgPXL_20220610_212134797 (1).jpg

Let's see your studio space...large or small!!!

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’ve got some friends in a band that I used to gig regularly with. We don’t live close anymore, and so we send files back and forth, adding parts in our own studios. As well as recording drums, I do most of the editing and mixing here. We’ve got some people in New York who give us a great deal on mastering costs, and some of the tracks are out there on Apple Music or whatever music apps there are. My buddy does that part, so I’m not really sure what all sites have the music, but it’s “out there somewhere” and easy to find. Pretty sure some of it’s on YouTube, too.
The room is small, just about large enough for my drums and desk. It doubles as mine and my wife’s office as well. It isn’t sound-proofed or anything, but it does the trick. I’ve got Mac mini’s, and use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface. I also have an old ProFire 2626 interface but the software is no longer supported, so I use it for additional channels if needed, daisy-chained to the Focusrite. I’ve got some great microphones, and run ProTools. It gets messy in there when I record drums, a small space filled with mic stands and cords, but I’m fairly nimble and haven’t tripped on anything yet!
I had to show my humidors, too, which are in the studio closet. :LOL: CD818C16-4C9F-4D8E-B40D-99CC61971E01.jpegE15AAFA6-2E46-4D1D-97A9-520E2FA27FAB.jpegE780E77E-5C74-403D-B495-CB0ECB154AEE.jpegBFD51F2C-C99E-4CE8-AFFA-5F4E2E4EDF04.jpeg32492663-1078-48A7-9D2F-7C4E41468EF1.jpeg

slave2theaxe

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was running an 18i20 for a while before my redesign. I still have it for additional inputs if needed but right now I've sent it to one of my old band mates back in AZ so he can track drums for our upcoming project.

For the most part I do things similar to how you are doing it...everyone tracks their own stuff and then sends it to me to mix, but I really want to get a band in the studio to do a while project from start to finish.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

slave2theaxe

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm just starting back after 13 years away. So, right now mine is just an HP laptop with Band Lab. I've been focusing on hip-hop beats and mixing through my Audio Technica headphones.

I save stuff to my Google Drive and use my car as the reference play back. It isn't ideal, but it works to relearn the basics.
Gotta start somewhere...my initial setup when I started getting back into it was small as well. Whatever works to get the job done!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotta start somewhere...my initial setup when I started getting back into it was small as well. Whatever works to get the job done!

It is a long way from API, Telefunken, and Dynaudio equipment. On the upside, I actually enjoy doing it now more than I ever did working on other people's stuff.

Recording and engineering is fun, but the business and people suck.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm just starting back after 13 years away. So, right now mine is just an HP laptop with Band Lab. I've been focusing on hip-hop beats and mixing through my Audio Technica headphones.

I save stuff to my Google Drive and use my car as the reference play back. It isn't ideal, but it works to relearn the basics.
Please share some of your tunes if you are able to Mike!:love:(y)