What's new

Rediscovering pipes and pipe smoking

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dabbled in pipes and pipe smoking somewhat over the last few decades, but officially for the last month or so I've formally been bitten by the "pipe bug" and have now carefully amassed a collection of about 10 pipes I bought on e-bay after searching for what I like. My two favorites: a Peterson 312 and a Yello-Bole 68C (basically a GIANT Peterson 312).

All are used "estate" pipes, I cleaned them using lots of pipe cleaners, grain alcohol, and then the "grain alcohol and salt" overnight bowl soaking method, finally followed with a wipe & buff of a carnauba/beeswax. Clean and sweet smelling and all pretty again!

As opinions are all over the place on what is a "good" pipe tobacco to smoke, there was no other alternative but to buy numerous types and try them. Many are good, some uninspiring, one or two favorite stand outs. Each person must do this it seems to identify their personal favorite.

Two nights ago I took my 68C for a "test drive" by taking a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood with a bowl full of my favorite. Positively capital! Imperial!

Pipes now have their place alongside cigars in my personal repertoire of smoking enjoyment--different certainly than cigars, but unique in their own right for sure. Knowing how to pack, light, clean, and "rest" them is all part of it. Fun and enjoyment! Epicurean satisfaction! Recapturing a lost art!

Pipes . . . the new cigars? LOL! We'll see. Could happen!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I can say anything meaningful about what blends I like most, I need to try at least several more blends of "premium" pipe tobaccos.

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
i've recently been experimenting with the pipe.
i have a peterson rocky donagal that i have been smoking navy flake out of.
mac baren,kendal, and now i'm smoking on my first tin of escudo.
i also have a big ben presidential, that was the first pipe i bought. i smoke blends out of it,virginia's mostly,mac b #1 has become a favorite.

it's a lot of fun, and i'm definitely looking forward to trying more pipes and tobaccos...