What's new

Reducing relights

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten to the point where my rollups are consistent, draw well, and have a serviceable head that doesn't unravel. However, I have noticed that they require more relights than commercial sticks. I dry box them for 2-3 weeks after rolling, then place the in the humidor to condition along with my commercial cigars. When looking over at a friend smoking one of my sticks, it seemed that the wrapper was not fully engaged. I have been using CT DW obscuro wrapper, if it makes a difference. Any thoughts on how to reduce relights?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
When I started rolling, I believe the kit came with CT1DW iirc. I had trouble keeping them going also. Since then I found using a different binder and wrapper has made it easier to keep lit. For example I like using LO Dominican binder and LO Ecuador Shade Seco wrappers.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
With any bunch make sure your seco is as far to the outside as possible and your ligero dead center. When you have a wrapper that doesn't like to burn, try using two pieces of seco as a binder and see if that helps it burn better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started rolling, I believe the kit came with CT1DW iirc. I had trouble keeping them going also. Since then I found using a different binder and wrapper has made it easier to keep lit. For example I like using LO Dominican binder and LO Ecuador Shade Seco wrappers.
I have that binder and wrapper in stock as well. I guess I need to pay more attention to the binder/wrapper used when bringing rollups to share with the brothers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filler burns, creating a hollow tube of wrapper (and binder?). Relight to help the wrapper (and binder?) catch up.
OK. My solution for 'tunneling' was to use less binder. 1/2 leaf of binder and as little wrapper as possible.

Double leaf binder and heavy wrapper was like trying to burn a phone book. If you've ever tried you'll see that the pages in the phone book are well dried but when flat stacked upon each other are reluctant to burn. Get the outer layer as thin as possible and it will burn beautifully.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't relight period. Hate it. Makes a good gar go gack, sfars I am concerned. Hate it.
Once I have aged a gar six months, There's way far fewer go out than with store boughts.
The exception is certain specific wrappers I haven't been able to make burn. I just don't use them any more.

Like Gdaddy, I use half a leaf or less of binder, not too much wrapper, and that wrapper ought to be delicate thin, like CT shade or the EC hab seco shade, & such.

Refuse to relight.
Reach for another instead.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I always use 1/2 leaf binder and 1/2 leaf wrapper. However, the CT1D Maduro wrapper is a HUGE and thick leaf and I may have been a little generous with the overlaps, which could be part of the problem. I'll pay more attention and see if there is a specific binder and wrapper that is difficult to burn. Also, I'll try trimming the belly more so the wrap strip is a bit narrower. As for getting the ligero in the center, I have been most successful with book bunching, so all the leavers end up swirled around together.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I always use 1/2 leaf binder and 1/2 leaf wrapper. However, the CT1D Maduro wrapper is a HUGE and thick leaf and I may have been a little generous with the overlaps, which could be part of the problem. I'll pay more attention and see if there is a specific binder and wrapper that is difficult to burn. Also, I'll try trimming the belly more so the wrap strip is a bit narrower. As for getting the ligero in the center, I have been most successful with book bunching, so all the leavers end up swirled around together.
If you are book bunching, all seco should go on bottom, viso on top of that, and ligero on top of that. This way your layers go most combustible to the outside, least combustible to the center. Your wrapper strip really only needs to be about 2.5" wide. These things should help.