What's new

Refurbish 20's humidor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brothers,

A friend picked up a humidor for me at a local auction (circa 1920's per Auctioneer). Cost me $45. Wife likes it, so I'm thinking of keeping it, but at the very least need to fix the copper lining. The copper is missing some nails, needs cleaning, etc.. I like the outside, so I doubt I will do anything to the exterior.

I was hoping you guys could help me out by providing input into the overall idea and with any specifics...some of my thoughts are....

:waving: Keep the copper lining instead of replacing with cedar (good idea ? bad idea?) I want to preserve the original character if I can, but won't compromise form for function. At the very least, I will need to clean the copper and securely nail back into place.

:waving: I want to add one (maybe two?) shelves to hold singles while leaving enough room to have a few boxes underneath. To accomplish this, I thought about building a "snug fit frame / skeleton" out of spanish cedar which will be used to hold the shelf. Something simple that would support a prefab'd shelf (forget who sells those) that I could remove to add room for more boxes.

:waving: It does not pass the flashlight test, but I thought I could fix this via the cedar frame and possibly with rubber seal.

:waving: Use beads for humidity(?)

If you see any pitfalls, please let me know. Any advice / discussion will be most appreciated.

Attachments

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
That is pretty nice! I would tack on some 1/4" moulding on the inside perimeter to make sure that you get a good seal on the opening. It wouldn't be that noticeable and wouldn't take away from the beauty of the piece.

Use small copper brads to fix that hanging piece of copper in the open pic.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have one of those too. Mine is too small to be practical. But I've thought about how I'd maximize interior space. You have exactly the right idea. Keep the copper. I think you can get some small brass or copper nails at a hobby store. The skeleton is the way to go. You can make everything you need by cutting some 3/8" spanish cedar into 1" (or so) thick strips. Put an upside down U on either side. Fasten some strips across for a shelf. You don't even have to nail it in. Just make the fit tight. Leave enough space to brace a square frame to put a seal on for the opening. Beads will work fine. Keep us posted.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I would say get it sealing good. Not sure if you could just use some weather stripping or if you need to line the inside with cedar. You could then use some trays from baragin humidor or buy some cedar or mahogany stock to build some singles trays.

Funcion is definitely needed though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I will be able to start something this weekend. Just got back from "Waterfront grill"....BBQ shrimp...yum.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I will be able to start something this weekend. Just got back from "Waterfront grill"....BBQ shrimp...yum.
Is that in Monroe on the Bayou? Right by the university? Damn I can't remember the name but I had the best steak there one time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sure is. Great place. Seven of us sat outside; drinking, smoking, eating. It was damn hot, but we had a good time.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That must be a bayou. Ive only seen one at Disneyland.

Kidding aside, looks like a great spot. It could actually be on the coast of Maine.

I picked up a small antique humi for $35 bucks at a yard sale in Santa Barbara. I just use it as furniture in my lounge. Would definitely like to find a bigger one.