What's new

Reloading

VirginIslander

This Space For Rent
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I figured since the last time this subject was posted on was about 6 years ago, it would be ok to re-open it :)

I'm interested in getting into reloading. I think it would be a fun hobby that will also save me money in the long run. If I did get into it, I might also look into licensing to re-sell. Anyone reload?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I bought a set up a while back, but I honestly don't shoot enough. The point is to shoot more when you reload, but reloading didn't add any more time to my schedule, so it didn't work! ;)

Getting licensed? Please look into some VERY good liability insurance and make sure you really, really, really know what you are doing. I don't know the situation in your locality, but you also need to see what kind of market you are going to have. I'm limited around here on where I can shoot reloads. Pretty much all of the indoor ranges ban them.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I have been doing it since the 60's. I was way ahead of the curve. . .:grin:

There are basically three reasons to reload: 1) you can shoot cheaper if you shoot a lot; 2) you can really accurize your rifle or pistol rounds; 3) you want to do it commercially. Commercial loading could be a litigation nightmare these days.

I stick with #2 now and do not reload as much. Component prices are more expensive than ever. Throw in your labor and it is difficult to turn a profit unless you have some high end equipment. My recommendation would be to go with one of the Dillon progressives if you are going to shoot a lot of pistol rounds or rifle rounds like 5.56mm. For relatively slow, methodical loading for accuracy, something like an RCBS Rock Chucker would work well.

VirginIslander

This Space For Rent
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good points guys. I wasn't thinking about doing it large scale. My parents live out in the country here in Michigan, lots if hunters/gun owners. Just an idea that I had to do nothing more than shoot for free, myself. Not really to turn a profit. Even still, I think it would be a fun hobby that could save me money in the long run

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing it since the 60's. I was way ahead of the curve. . .:grin:

There are basically three reasons to reload: 1) you can shoot cheaper if you shoot a lot; 2) you can really accurize your rifle or pistol rounds; 3) you want to do it commercially. Commercial loading could be a litigation nightmare these days.

I stick with #2 now and do not reload as much. Component prices are more expensive than ever. Throw in your labor and it is difficult to turn a profit unless you have some high end equipment. My recommendation would be to go with one of the Dillon progressives if you are going to shoot a lot of pistol rounds or rifle rounds like 5.56mm. For relatively slow, methodical loading for accuracy, something like an RCBS Rock Chucker would work well.
Let me add one more reason: It's fun. Actually, I enjoy reloading nearly as much as shooting. :smile:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I reload and love the process. My reasoning was to get better accuracy and load a round I could not buy commercially. The 77gr sierra match king bullet with Varget powder is magic in my LMT MRP ar.

Take a look at ASYM Precision if you are thinking about going commercial. The initial investment is substantial to say the least.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Among reloaders that I know, I'm pretty new since I've only been doing it several years and well over 30,000 rounds by now (maybe more like 75k, but I've honestly lost track). :agreeclen

I use a Dillon 650 progressive press, and can't imagine doing anything different. I love the Dillon 1050 in concept, but setting up a single new caliber runs in the $400+ range (I think... it's been a while since I priced it) which is nutty. The only less expensive alternate progressive press that I feel like I can recommend is the Hornady. Every other progressive I reviewed had significant operating issues. Back to the Hornady: I could only find 2 weak points on the press; so I think it is very likely a win, and it will be a little less expensive to get into relative to the Dillon 650. Where there is a REAL win is for adding new calibers. Hornady made it ridiculously inexpensive to add new calibers. On the flip side, adding calibers to the Dillon 650 costs a bit more, but I think the set-up is higher quality and SAFER (with the Dillon you can set up a dedicated powder drop for each caliber... this is NOT the case for Hornady or, I think, any other press. To put this in perspective, this issue is, from my limited experience, the number 1 cause of reloading errors that end in injury, property destruction and the BOOOOM that every reloader is afraid of. I felt that was important enough to put the extra money into a Dillon).

There's definitely a place in a reloader's world for a single stage press. So if you want to start there, you could give the RCBS Rockchucker a go and see if you like reloading (Lee also makes a GREAT starter's set up with a single stage press... however, I highly recommend that you not get the Lee progressive. It has issues that I didn't discover until I did a deep review on it's schematics... otherwise it was running neck-in-neck with the Hornady).

Have fun and good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.