What's new

Remove (cover up?) cigar smell in from the car

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Recently traded in my all leather Montero for a cloth seated Durango.
Lots of good threads on smoking in the car. Most have mention of some sort of product to help 'control' odor after smoking. I assume the market has evolved over the years and just looking for personal experiences on these or other products. If you have used more than one and compare...well, all the better! Thanks.

Febreze
Zorbx
Zep
Dakota
Fresh Wave
Others
Non smoke/smell specific home remedy stuff (coffee, baking soda, pet odor products, Snuggle...ect)

I use Febreze and like it well enough, but I suspect there's something better out there by now.

Anyone tried an ionizer or ozone-type product powered by your lighter socket?

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that ozone idea would be a great idea but don't you need to keep the key in the ignition to power up the lighter?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
How to keep that new car smell, and still enjoy a cigar:
Step 1: Smoke cigar in car
Step 2: Set car on fire
Step 3: Buy new car
Step 4: Enjoy new car smell

Just kidding. I smoke from time to time in my '97 Accord, and I smoked a lot more often in my old '93 Protege, and there are a few keys to keeping the car from smelling like cigars:
1. Don't smoke too often. The smell builds on itself and eventually it will be there permanently. If you air it out well and let the smell disappear, you get to start over and level 1.
2. While you smoke, keep the windows cracked (or all the way down if possible), and the foot vents on, to help keep the air moving. If you're parked somewhere, get out of the car. One of the tricks to minimizing smell is constant airflow, and you don't get enough if you're parked somewhere.
3. Make sure you're NOT on circulate! Once it gets in there, you're done.
4. Vacuum up any fallen ash as soon as you get home. I can't emphasize this enough. Once that stuff gets ground in, it's impossible to get it out, and in my experience it's what contributes most to the lingering smell.
5. Use Ozium when you're done, let the car sit over night, and keep airing the car out the next day.

So far, my Honda still smells clean. It stinks the next day, and there's some residual smell for a few days, but after 3-4 days you can't tell I've smoked in there.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozium FTW

As you're getting out, give a nice big blast of Ozium into the car then quickly shut the door. Next time you get in you won't smell a thing.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Ozium FTW

As you're getting out, give a nice big blast of Ozium into the car then quickly shut the door. Next time you get in you won't smell a thing.
I wish that were the case. I can always smell a mix of Ozium and cigar smoke the next morning. But with a few days of leaving the windows cracked while driving and the foot air on high, it eventually dissipates.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Febreze works well for me. I spray it directly to the seats of my truck at night. Next day I'll open the windows a bit while driving to get the febreze smell out. Also, if you have a Xikar ash can or stinky travel ash can, make sure you keep it closed tight and empty after every use. I've slacked and it's slowly smelling like burnt ashes and it's not a very pleasing smell.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Csonka Automotive Air Purifier which I have plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet that's powered from the battery. I turn it on while I'm smoking and leave it on for at least overnight, if not longer, after a smoke in the truck. Also, I have recently discovered Whiff Off which is a white powder designed to be powered into the ashtray to override odors. I don't use the vehicle ashtray, I use an aftermarket cigar ashtray which name escapes me, but it's a popular accessory. I put a little in there, but better yet, I'll drop some of the Whiff Off onto the carpets, that stuff works better than anything else I've used! Available thru their own website, but I get mine via Cigars International. Very pleasant odor, much longer lasting than Febreze, and I've used that for years too.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+ on airflow and I also use a pin ozone machine that I have for my lounge. Just throw it in the truck with the a/c on outside air and run it for 15 minutes or so and the smell is gone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk