What's new

Remove Membership

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've been approached by several members regarding recent sales.
It is the conclusion that I've been unfairly asking above MSRP pricing on tobacco.
So I'm respectfully asking that the admins kill my account.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If they don't like your price, they don't have to buy it. Sounds more like their problem than yours?
Unless something has changed, the forum rules for sales threads are that you can't list for more than msrp. Those rules are because the sales section weren't designed (as I understand it) for brothers to profit on sales to other brothers. There's some exception for htf things that sell above msrp even from retailers (like opus) if I recall, I haven't read the rules in a while.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Unless something has changed, the forum rules for sales threads are that you can't list for more than msrp. Those rules are because the sales section weren't designed (as I understand it) for brothers to profit on sales to other brothers. There's some exception for htf things that sell above msrp even from retailers (like opus) if I recall, I haven't read the rules in a while.
No, you can just list msrp/purchased price and you're set (see marketplace rules).

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Rare tobaccos and cigars can certainly fetch high prices, but I don't think this is the place to do it. Brothers to me means a friendship and mutual respect and that help is offered and received if possible, not a marketplace for high markups regardless of how rare or perceived value. There are plenty of other places for sales of this type and some members may take offense to perceived gouging. However, since we are talking about luxury items, not necessities, I don't believe gouging is possible per se.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Rare tobaccos and cigars can certainly fetch high prices, but I don't think this is the place to do it. Brothers to me means a friendship and mutual respect and that help is offered and received if possible, not a marketplace for high markups regardless of how rare or perceived value. There are plenty of other places for sales of this type and some members may take offense to perceived gouging. However, since we are talking about luxury items, not necessities, I don't believe gouging is possible per se.
Very well said bro

On another note... the rules in place will be great now that Reddit users joined the board

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have some excess cellar for sale or trade but that is so I can afford to buy the stuff I want because I am paying the same inflated prices to complete my cellar. I just want different blends and I have stuff I bought blindly or because of age or for future trade bait. Guys get all upset like we signed a secret blood pact. However if a friend was searching for or in need of something I had they would get a deal or an even trade. I cut prices on my estate pipes way down for my friends too. By friends I include forum members in a setting like this. If guys I don't know ask I still usually give some sort of deal still. ak2000 said it, this is a luxury item. No one is keeping water or food from the needy. I've missed out on plenty because guys buy it all up. If I want it bad enough I'll pay for it or buy an alternative. The one thing that I find hypocritical though is these same guys that complain had no issues at last years pipe show selling their Christmas Cheer and Esoterica for 5 times what they paid. They never called out the pipe makers that brought all of their discontinued tins for sale at inflated prices. Now that McClelland closed down all of the sudden its an issue and price gouging.

I don't have any issues with anyone here at all. My statements were generalizations from stuff I've heard or read elsewhere. I do think it is bad taste to post sale items for unreasonably inflated prices in a setting like this. When I see that I just move along without comment. I figure anyone that said something about it was just looking out for the community here.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thank you for the support and I apologize for offending any brothers. I was trying to recoup prices that I paid for these tobaccos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To make amends I’ll offer the last 2 listings free to the first response. Just pay shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I believe you should ask more for vintage tobacco beyond MSRP, esp if it is out of production. that is bs "brothers" would grief you about it. Who's to say they arnt the ones who would buy it and flip it in a heartbeat if you didn't list over msrp? Anywho, as mentioned before, ya have to follow the above msrp guidelines on listing :)

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
The market is inflated right now and market place rules just doesn't account for it. Don't worry about it. It's not gouging if someone willing to pay for it. There is a couple tins I would pay double msrp and it would still be a deal compared to what's out there. Don't sweat the small things...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I believe you should ask more for vintage tobacco beyond MSRP, esp if it is out of production. that is bs "brothers" would grief you about it. Who's to say they arnt the ones who would buy it and flip it in a heartbeat if you didn't list over msrp? Anywho, as mentioned before, ya have to follow the above msrp guidelines on listing :)
Maybe the issue was not following the rule of if selling above MSRP stating why. No one knows what you paid if you don't indicate it in the F/S post. You know how people assume and jump to conclusions...