What's new

Reseasoning??

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
So I have a humidor that has been sitting without humidification for a couple months. I have not needed it but now I think I might have to get it back in to service. It is only a 50 count do I have to reseason it? Any help would be great. Thanks brothers

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Yes, you need to reseason it. Check the seal to make sure that it is good and put a shot glass of distilled water inside for a week or so until you get the humi at a consistant rh. DO NOT wipe the humi down inside!!!!

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Would the boveda seasoning packet do the same thing?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Do what the Tuba Dude suggested, shot glass of distilled and wait a week or so to let the rh come up slowly. Boveda season pack works better on new. Don't forget to check the seal.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It also depends on what the humidity was during the two months you didn't use your unit. I had a similar situation a while back but during the time my humi was inactive, the humidity inside the home was in the 60's. Therefore, when I was ready to use it again, I just put my sticks back in to it and everything was good to go.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
It also depends on what the humidity was during the two months you didn't use your unit. I had a similar situation a while back but during the time my humi was inactive, the humidity inside the home was in the 60's. Therefore, when I was ready to use it again, I just put my sticks back in to it and everything was good to go.
Great point, I keep forgetting everyone doesn't live in the desert.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Yes, you need to reseason it. Check the seal to make sure that it is good and put a shot glass of distilled water inside for a week or so until you get the humi at a consistant rh. DO NOT wipe the humi down inside!!!!

Hey Tubman or anyone else, tell me why you shouldn't wipe down the hummi? When I bought my 1st hummi years ago(about 13 years) it said to wipe down the hummi w/distilled water and let it sit for a week to season. And over the years when I can not keep the humidity I would take the cigars out and rewipe it down and let it sit for a week and put the cigars back in. Am I screwwing things up? I am learning more and more about cigars now I need to start learning more about takeing better care of my storage containers.
:dunno:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was told the same thing, to wipe it down, on my first humi by the very, very reputable manufacturer. This was and is a $500 100 count box. Everything turned out fine EXCEPT, it left a stain on the cedar. I have heard since that introducing that much moisture that fast can warp the wood, create gaps etc. Both the B&M's I use season the humi by lightly wiping them down.

"excerpted from editor and publisher Marvin R. Shanken's Shanken's Cigar Handbook

Take a new sponge -- make sure it is unscented and free of soap -- and wet it with a liberal dose of distilled water. Wipe down all the exposed wood, including any trays and dividers, and the interior lid. Avoid using a paper towel or a fraying cloth; these will literally leave a paper trail on the wood. After you've wiped down the wood, squirt the sponge with more distilled water, then place it inside the humidor on a plastic bag -- to avoid direct contact with the wood -- and close the lid".

I dont do this anymore.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I did wipe down my humidor at first, but it has been sitting unused and yes I do also live in a desert. No 60&#37; Rh here. So I guess my best bet now is just to used the distilled water and let it sit inside for a week to get it back up..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did wipe down my humidor at first, but it has been sitting unused and yes I do also live in a desert. No 60% Rh here. So I guess my best bet now is just to used the distilled water and let it sit inside for a week to get it back up..
In that case, I agree and the advice given was very good (as usual).

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Also, wiping the humidor down will only introduce moisture to the surface and just below the surface. You want the cedar to absorb moisture all the way through.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A lot of people really overthink this. Fill your humidifier. Fill the humidor about 2/3 full with cigars. Put a small container of distilled water in there. If you have a good sealing box, by the end of the first day you should be in the 50+ range. After another day or two, you should achieve your target. In any case it will slowly rise. Oh, I should add that this assumes the cigars were properly humidified. Put dry cigars in a dry humidor and all bets are off.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ive also read somewhere someplace that wiping the inside down can raise tiny spinters that can poke tiny holes in the wrapper. dont know if it would or not, but i wouldnt want to find out.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Kirscovitch hit on why I don't do it. Not so much poking holes, but the possibility of tearing the wrapper if a cigar was to get caught on one of the splinters.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
A lot of people really overthink this. Fill your humidifier. Fill the humidor about 2/3 full with cigars. Put a small container of distilled water in there. If you have a good sealing box, by the end of the first day you should be in the 50+ range. After another day or two, you should achieve your target. In any case it will slowly rise. Oh, I should add that this assumes the cigars were properly humidified. Put dry cigars in a dry humidor and all bets are off.
This I wouldnt do. Te cedar will draw moisture from the cigars. You can end up with some very dry cigars. Wait till the humidor is seasoned and holding.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This I wouldnt do. Te cedar will draw moisture from the cigars. You can end up with some very dry cigars. Wait till the humidor is seasoned and holding.

If you have a container of distilled water in the humidor with the cigars, the cigars won't dry out.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you have a container of distilled water in the humidor with the cigars, the cigars won't dry out.
I respectfully disagree, with the provision that you have the cigars in another properly humidified environment. Why put the cigars in a dry box while it is seasoning when they are in a proper environment already? Makes no sense to me. Get the humidity up where it belongs BEFORE putting the cigars in there. Not over thinking it, just makes more sense to me. I also think it takes more than a few days to reach proper humidity, especially if you are in a very dry climate.

If the cigars are not in any kind of humidified storage, then you might as well put them in the humi while you are seasoning it, it's better than nothing.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
take your time getting that humi reseasoned. temporary cigar storage is cheap and easy to do. use a Fuente humidor bag, or tupperware and a boveda while you are waiting for your humidor to settle it.