What's new

Reseasoning??

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
take your time getting that humi reseasoned. temporary cigar storage is cheap and easy to do. use a Fuente humidor bag, or tupperware and a boveda while you are waiting for your humidor to settle it.
Those fuente bags work pretty well for temporary storage!

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I respectfully disagree, with the provision that you have the cigars in another properly humidified environment. Why put the cigars in a dry box while it is seasoning when they are in a proper environment already? Makes no sense to me. Get the humidity up where it belongs BEFORE putting the cigars in there. Not over thinking it, just makes more sense to me. I also think it takes more than a few days to reach proper humidity, especially if you are in a very dry climate.

If the cigars are not in any kind of humidified storage, then you might as well put them in the humi while you are seasoning it, it's better than nothing.
I'm not speaking theoretically, I'm speaking from experience. I've seasoned alot of humidors. And I've done it the conventional way too. In a humidor, the cigars contribute in a big way to maintaining a humidified enviroment. I'm not Kidding about it taking an average of three days with cigars inside. But if you use a container of water and take a week to get the RH up to your desired level in an empty humidor, and THEN put in cigars that are maybe a little wet, RH will go up above the desired level. Or you put in dry ones and they suck up all the moisture. People do that and wonder what they did wrong in seasoning. If you season the humidor with cigars in it you'll achieve an RH equilibrium much faster. It doesn't hurt the cigars. Try it and see. If you are really worried about it, use some Yard 'gars. I know it's against convention. It's my opinion based on my experience. In the end there's alot of ways to skin a cat.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I'm not speaking theoretically, I'm speaking from experience. I've seasoned alot of humidors. And I've done it the conventional way too. In a humidor, the cigars contribute in a big way to maintaining a humidified enviroment. I'm not Kidding about it taking an average of three days with cigars inside. But if you use a container of water and take a week to get the RH up to your desired level in an empty humidor, and THEN put in cigars that are maybe a little wet, RH will go up above the desired level. Or you put in dry ones and they suck up all the moisture. People do that and wonder what they did wrong in seasoning. If you season the humidor with cigars in it you'll achieve an RH equilibrium much faster. It doesn't hurt the cigars. Try it and see. If you are really worried about it, use some Yard 'gars. I know it's against convention. It's my opinion based on my experience. In the end there's alot of ways to skin a cat.
Interesting concept Chief. I can always bring the humidity down with some cedar blocks if too high. If too low, cigars can go bad fast. I duuno if its worth the risk but appreciate your opinion.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, maybe I'm coming on a little strong. I don't wanna rile anyone. I see these threads by inexperienced guys saying: I seasoned my humidor as per instructions and my RH is now way to high/too low. They pop up over and over.

Humor me sometime and try my method. Use some of those bundled seconds in the bottom of the cooler. Better yet, someone do it as an experiment and start a thread about it. I admit that when I've seasoned a humidor this way I've used cigars that were well humidified at my target RH. I'm sure that speeds things up.

I'd say we could do a challenge and see which method works best. My way or the conventional one. It'd be an entertaining read. But ambient RH in my basement (where my empty humidors are) is about 60% right now. It'd take about 3 hours to achieve steady RH.:smile:

We should wait until winter when it's 30%!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Hey, maybe I'm coming on a little strong. I don't wanna rile anyone. I see these threads by inexperienced guys saying: I seasoned my humidor as per instructions and my RH is now way to high/too low. They pop up over and over.

Humor me sometime and try my method. Use some of those bundled seconds in the bottom of the cooler. Better yet, someone do it as an experiment and start a thread about it. I admit that when I've seasoned a humidor this way I've used cigars that were well humidified at my target RH. I'm sure that speeds things up.

I'd say we could do a challenge and see which method works best. My way or the conventional one. It'd be an entertaining read. But ambient RH in my basement (where my empty humidors are) is about 60% right now. It'd take about 3 hours to achieve steady RH.:smile:

We should wait until winter when it's 30%!
Never gets below 70 degree here. :stretchgr I'll give it a try some time.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Well, I'm not exactly wet behind the ears when it comes to this sort of thing myself, so . . .

As I said in my previous post, if the cigars are stored in a properly humidified environment, I would not put them in the humi until the humi is properly seasoned.