What's new

resting a pipe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many of you probably read the title and are ready to kill me for even asking. But, I will defend myself and say I searched and did not come up with a satisfactory answer for my question before posting this thread.

That being said, I am new to the pipe world. I have read that resting a pipe is of great necessity, but what about smoking a bowl then waiting a little while and smoking that same pipe again. Typically when I smoke cigars with a few friends we will smoke one, and then wait a little while, usually just long enough to get a refill on that nights drinks, then smoke another cigar. In order to do this with a pipe would I need two pipes or should I do this and then allow the pipe to rest for an even longer period of time. Also, if I were to do this should I stick with the same tobacco or is changing it alright. I have heard and experienced that when smoking cigars like this it is best to smoke the lighter of the two first then finish with the heavier cigar. Is this true with a pipe, or is smoking a pipe like this not even recommended?

Thanks ahead of time for the help, and sorry for being that newb posting this thread.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I don't smoke a pipe very often but I usually try to let them rest at least a day or two between bowls. Given the choice I generally let them rest a week in between ( part of the reason I don't smoke too often). I would also say that most would prefer to keep similar blends to a pipe. So maybe one for Virginia, one for English/Balkans one for aromatics. This may be a little over simplifying things but I prefer English and Balkan blends so not much else see's my pipes but I do have a couple set aside for virginias.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
The main reason for letting a pipe rest between smoke is to let the Brier "dry" out. If they don't have a rest period to dry, they will "sour" and you will have a tough time getting rid of that "sour" taste. When I travel I take four pipes, that lets them have at least three days to dry between smoke's. I will usually smoke the same pipe for the day and then another for the next smoke or next day. Never smoke Aromatic and English blends in the same pipe. One thing about pipe smoking is that I have laid a pipe down after smoking half the tobacco and then smoking the rest in an hour or two with no ill effects on the flavor. Have even gone as much as a day before finishing. One key is to "finish" the smoke to allow for even "cake" build up. You can also adjust the amount of tobacco for the amount of time you want to smoke. Just make sure you finish the bowl. For "blend" changes, keep with the same blend for the day. Change is okay after the rest period. Ideally, you would want several pipe"s for various "type's" of blends. Hope this helps...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Boppa-Wasch hit the nail on the head. Follow his advice and you'll do fine.

One thing in addition to consider: if you dedicate a pipe to a specific blend or smoke the same blend out of a pipe for a while you will begin to taste the more subtle nuances present in the blend that you may not have tasted at first. When you smoke a new blend in a pipe, unless the pipe is brand new, you will taste a good bit of the previous blends that you smoked. This is called "ghosting." To get the ghosts out, smoke the same blend for a while. By "a while" I mean a good 20 to 30 bowls.

However, if you're in the stage of trying out good tobaccos and haven't found anything that shoots the moon for you, vary it up to your hearts desire. Just know that the more you vary it up in any one pipe, the more confused the flavors will become as time progresses.

Finally, I think it's important to dedicate a pipe to a specific type of blend. I wouldn't smoke English out of a Virginia pipe or an Aromatic out of an English pipe or any other cross pollinating combination. I smoke English in my English pipes, Virginia in the Virginia pipes, and... well to be honest I don't smoke Aromatics any more, but I used to smoke Aromatics strictly out of my Aromatic pipes.

I hope this advice helps you on your journey into the pipe world. It's a wonderful place to be.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Boppa-Wasch hit the nail on the head. Follow his advice and you'll do fine.
X2 ... with one addition.

Depending on where you're from, you may need to vary the resting period. If you live in a humid climate, I'd wait 5-7 days. I'm in dry Colorado and I wait a minimum of 3, but usually 5 (it just gives me an excuse to buy more pipes). YMMV but that's just my $.02.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I need to invest in a couple more pipes. Just to clarify, Boppa, you smoke the same pipe all day and then let it rest for several days?, assuming you stay with the same blend of tobacco, or do you smoke one bowl a day and then let it rest? I understand completely about the different pipes for different blends, but am still confused as to whether you use the same pipe all day.

Thanks again for the help.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I too agree with Boppa-Wasch, but I own 15 pipes so I smoke certain tobacco's in certain pipes which allows me to "rest" them between smokes.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
It looks like I need to invest in a couple more pipes. Just to clarify, Boppa, you smoke the same pipe all day and then let it rest for several days?, assuming you stay with the same blend of tobacco, or do you smoke one bowl a day and then let it rest? I understand completely about the different pipes for different blends, but am still confused as to whether you use the same pipe all day.

Thanks again for the help.
You can smoke the same pipe for the day..sometimes two or three bowls.....if you want to switch up the blend, staying in the same "family" you can. Should you want to change up the "blend" for a particular pipe, you can. Just fill the bowl with salt, that's right good ole table salt, and add either a high concentration(90%) of rubbing alchohol or "Ever Clear" if you can get it. About ten drops to the salt and let it sit for a couple of days. The salt and Alch will draw up the left over resins from the previous smokes. This will also "freshen" a pipe.
If you want to try some good blends, try this site:

http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot everyone for all of the help/suggestions. I'm looking forward to getting into the pipe world. I feel like I'm somewhat prepared now thanks to you all.

Thanks again, Jordan.

Flyer75

Flyer Faithful
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad I read this post. Looks like I need to buy at least 2-3 more pipes. I only own one Peterson at this point.

Hayblet

Guided Missle
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yeah I'm in the market for a 2nd and 3rd pipe since I found some 'baccy I've really been enjoying, just want to be able to smoke more and I think for now 3 pipes will do me. Not sure if it matters but my first pipe is a Dr Mac, never really heard of it... but I think I want a Churchwarden due to my love for Fantasy books and whatnot and it reminds me of Gandalf's

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know many of you probably read the title and are ready to kill me for even asking. But, I will defend myself and say I searched and did not come up with a satisfactory answer for my question before posting this thread.

I'm still new but I ask questions too of my longtime brothers of the Briar. It's cool!

That being said, I am new to the pipe world. I have read that resting a pipe is of great necessity, but what about smoking a bowl then waiting a little while and smoking that same pipe again. Typically when I smoke cigars with a few friends we will smoke one, and then wait a little while, usually just long enough to get a refill on that nights drinks, then smoke another cigar. In order to do this with a pipe would I need two pipes or should I do this and then allow the pipe to rest for an even longer period of time. Also, if I were to do this should I stick with the same tobacco or is changing it alright. I have heard and experienced that when smoking cigars like this it is best to smoke the lighter of the two first then finish with the heavier cigar. Is this true with a pipe, or is smoking a pipe like this not even recommended?

I typically smoke two or more bowls in the same pipe with the same blend, only changing when I'm going from an English blend and pipe dedicated to that blend to an aromatic or something else, and the pipe dedicated to other blends. I also only smoke for about an hour or three at most during the day when I'm not enjoying cigars.

As for heavier to lighter, that's the common sense one. Yes, you can change tobacco, but I'd suggest a second pipe. This way one is always fresh.

Thanks ahead of time for the help, and sorry for being that newb posting this thread.
damn newbies :p haha it's cool.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would get a couple more pipes so you can rotate them. You might want to get a meerschaum pipe and add it to the rotation. They dont carry the flavors over as much as a briar so you can change up the different blends you smoke in them. That being said, even a meer needs some rest. If you blitz it too much, for too long, moisture will accumulate in the shank and could make it brittle. That being said, if you can only afford a few pipes I would recommend at least one be a good quality meer. I would recommend a baki, altinok, or tekin.

Good luck.