What's new

Results of some cigar/coctail pairings

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Trying out a few things to figure out what I like/don't like. YMMV.

Observation #1: Heavily peated whisky doesn't necessarily clash with strong cigars.

Successses:
Laphroaig QC w/ sprite zero palate cleanser and T52 Toro, UC Belicoso

Failures: Bruichladdich Octomore (peat monster) and FFP. This was literally Godzilla vs Godzilla.

Observation #2: Your favorite rum may make your favorite cigars taste like shit. Try new stuff and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Examples: Sailor Jerry/151 & coke with UC Belicoso, T52 robo, LP9s. Pls learn from my fails.

Proof to the contrary: Zaya and coke with above cigars - YUM! TYVM BOTL for introducing me to Zaya!

Observation #3: priming your palate with good whisky may bring out more flavor in your cigar. Just dont push your luck...In addition to building a good buzz before smoking, your palate may already be sensitive to peat/caramel whatever the predominant notes are of your whisky.

Examples: Suntory Yamazaki 18 and CAO La Traviatta Maduro. WOW. Best $5 cigar on earth when you've been drinking Japanese whisky all night.

Edit: might also be worthwhile explaining how I drink whisky:

I drink it neat with a sprite on the side. I take as big a sip of the whisky as I want and enjoy it for a while. Then I take a sip of sprite to refresh my palate (also for hydration) before drinking more or hitting a cigar. Works well so far.

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I find the more I drink the better all cigars taste, not so much worried about pairing stuff as I am enjoying myself doing it. Plus, I don't smoke much Liga anyway.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I find the more I drink the better all cigars taste, not so much worried about pairing stuff as I am enjoying myself doing it. Plus, I don't smoke much Liga anyway.
This was not meant as anything against Liga - Im like one of the last people who'd want to do them wrong. More to observe what the wrong booze can do to my fav cigars. I do agree that more booze = better cigars in general. You can also substitute Padron for Liga references above. Again, YMMV.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Don't really smoke much Padron either :D Seemed a Liga heavy reference is all. To me the best pairing for a cigar is one I really don't think about much while having a few drinks with friends.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Don't really smoke much Padron either :D Seemed a Liga heavy reference is all. To me the best pairing for a cigar is one I really don't think about much while having a few drinks with friends.
Yeah but as soon as you saw my name you knew my opinion was severely biased & compromised on the matter of cigar choice ;-) I've only been smoking cigars since April 2011 and my friends even less, so anything I can do to improve the experience goes a long way.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I just think the less I look for the perfect pairing or perfect cigar the better I enjoy the experience. I am beer guy more than anything and I find hoppy beers go well with med/full bodied smokes. But I also know a few guys that don't like hoppy beers when smoking cigars.

I have had some great scotch and bourbon that clear the palate very nicely when having a cigar like Balvinie 12 year, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve and Blanton's. But truth be told I have had some nights where cheap vodka and sprite can get it done as well, lol.

I wake up in the morning and don't remember that I had three fingers of this and smoke that cigar, but rather like to wake and say that I had a good night. Being too analytical just seems to dampen the experience for me personally.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I wake up in the morning and don't remember that I had three fingers of this and smoke that cigar, but rather like to wake and say that I had a good night. Being too analytical just seems to dampen the experience for me personally.
Very Well said. I totally agree. I have notice the more we try to make it "the best", more offten then not turns into a let down.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love pairings. (Especially as a sommelier. It's my job and my passion, and I LOVE my job.) My main suggestion with cigars, whether you're pairing with beer, wine, spirits or cocktails, is to only ever allow one of them to take the main stage and be the star of the show. What I mean by that is, if you're cracking open a very fine, rare, aged bottle of scotch, or a micro-brew that you would have traded your first-born for a case of it... Smoke a mild-medium to medium-full cigar, and preferably something you've had before that is an old favorite or go-to for you. Now is not the time to bust out a new, super HTF, crazy full-bodied blow your face off smoke. Conversely, if you're digging out that HTF that's been sitting in the bottom on the humidor waiting for the day you get the big promotion or your lady sees two blue lines, turn to a drink that is also one of your usual favorite go-to's.

I know it seems like common sense to some, but I feel it always is worth a quick mention. It'll allow your palette, senses, brain to really focus in on all the new flavors and aromas you're experiencing, and much like the good company mentioned above, that reliable go-to paired with it will be just like an old friend, complimenting the situation and really helping you enjoy it. You'll have a lot of great pairings then and a lot less chance of having a complete miss where you want an entirely different drink or smoke only a few sips/puffs into it.

Not to say you CAN'T or SHOULDN'T have the rich, lavish, lush pairing of both. But if you are, put the extra thought into it, after all, you're probably spending considerably more, your hard earned dollars have deserve a little extra thought. And for big events: the earlier mentioned 2nd blue line, promotion, she said yes, kid graduating, etc... I absolutely encourage having that 30yr scotch and the ancient Partagas or amazing Padron (It's become my regular NYE tradition the last few years, excellent way to end a year and fantastic foot to start a new one on.) but really, not the time to try that very uniquely crafted spirit and the stick loaded with ligero. I like your Godzilla vs. Godzilla analogy, this is EXACTLY what I am talking about, I might have to steal that if you don't mind. Think of it like a Transformers movie or any other Michael Bay film, you get two powerhouses occupying the same turf, and you'll definitely get some incredible explosions and a cool scene or two, but in the end, probably non-stop assault on the senses over-the-top action flick with nothing distinctly memorable and just a bunch of destroyed buildings, and all with no guarantees of a great movie. If you follow me and allow me to kind of take your idea and expand on it and run with it a little...

ALL that being said, drink and smoke what you like, if you like it and it puts a smile on your face, whether it's $2 or $2000, enjoy it and don't worry about what others have to say, a great pairing is all about YOU relaxing and having a good time, nobody is drinking or smoking for you. You don't need to chase trends or spend wads of cash to enjoy yourself. But I also absolutely loved your experiment! (albeit Liga heavy, can't blame you there though, great sticks!!) I hope this encourages you to try a lot more things, I encourage everybody to get out there and try as much as they can. The advice I give to guests at work all the time is to drink as much and as many different wines, beers, spirits in their life time as they possibly can. There is far too much great stuff out there in the world to discover and appreciate that to not do so is really a disservice to yourself.

Sorry if this got a little long winded, kind of touched on my passion/career here, I spend hours and hours a day discussing just these things. (Plus I just finished my 2nd cup of coffee for the morning, so I am feeling especially motivated and energetic.)