What's new

Retrohaling...

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
Echoing what everyone else has said about swallowing, that's the trick. I think of it as you are taking in 100%, and swallowing 25% before forcing it out your nose. I usually blow the 75% out first and then retro. I've seen @erjaq retrohale 100% of what he takes in. It's freaky.

After a few sticks it becomes second nature and you don't think about it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is pretty much the way I taste cigars. The few times I actually retrohaled the smoke I got nothing but singed sinuses and a harsh pepper and burnt wood aroma.

I will make it a point to retrohale my next smoke and see how it goes. To be fair, I haven't given it a thorough effort but I definitely will, just to be able to put retrohale snobs in their place. Some of the attitudes towards folks who don't retrohale are pretty absurd.
Don't you mean retro-hale snots? LMAO! I think that once someone retro-hales for a while, retro-haling in itself can desensitize your ability to taste. Which means you might need to retro-hale smoke all the time to get the full flavors. I retro-hale but only on ocassion as I have found my technique works pretty good for me. Like today after I finished my cigar, I went in the house and for the next half hour I could close my mouth, blow out of my nose and the flavors would resurface. Without doing that I taste nothing.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Naturally, we aren't all of us going to have the same opinion, but it's a fact that MOST of one's ability to taste is derived through one's olfactory senses. I want all a cigar has to offer after spending $8 to $20 on it.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
DO NOT retrohale with a severe sinus infection. I tried that omce out of habit not thinking. Spicy cigar, plugged nose, feels like someone was cleaning my sinus cavity with a hedge trimmer. Needless to say, lots of tears and curse words.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It took me a while to really get the hang of it and I probably do not do it the same way as most people do. But now it is pretty much 2nd nature when smoking. This makes for a pain in the ass during allergy season.
Basically I do not pay attention if I am moving smoke to the back of my throat or anything. I exhale part close my mouth and breathe through my nose. It works for me and I dont inhale anything.
But its your choice, not sure I really get much more than relaxation by doing it. I do not smoke cigars for the intricate flavor profiles. I do not enjoy critiquing every little puff because it loses its enjoyability to me. I smoke to clear my mind not add more to it. Just one guys opinion on the internet so take what you will.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Retrohaling is one of those things that some cigar smokers insist on as a "must do"... Personally, I very rarely retrohale when I am smoking for relaxation or pleasure.

There is basically only four times I do so:
1) When sampling individual tabaquiados - crude cigars crafted of a single leaf.
2) When initially blending a liga.
3) When serving as a catador in quality control.
4) When I first try any new brand/blend.

I find for myself that retrohaling too frequently greatly dulls my senses of smell and taste, so I reserve the use of doing so for times where I consider it as necessary to my craft.

All that being said, I do not believe it is right or wrong to do so. If the process enhances your joy of smoking, then do so, if not, then don't...

BR,

STS