What's new

Review: AF 858 Rosado

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Seeing nickgonzo's 858 Sungrown review reminded me of my recent experience with the 858 Rosado. What a striking difference....hope you enjoy the review and my apologies for the crappy cell phone pics.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a few Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 858 Rosado's from a very generous brother and decided to spark one up this afternoon. It's been a bit windy and rainy these past few days so the patio wasn't an option. I grabbed a bottle of water and it was off to the local B&M lounge to see what awaited me.

A little about this cigar before I delve into my experience with it. There's not a lot of info on this cigar by googling it but according to vitolas.net, this cigar was released in 2002 and only 87 boxes were ever produced. The rosado wrapper was grown by Oliva in Ecuador and is not an Opus X rosado wrapper as sometimes believed.

The cigar was wrapped in a cedar sheet with the tell tale red ribbon on the foot. Flor Fina 858 was printed in gold on the cellophane wrapper. Out of the wrappings, the cigar's light brown wrapper was pretty smooth with a few veins apparent. The bunch looked perfect so I doubt I'd have any draw issues. If there's one thing I've got to hand the Fuente's, their construction is usually spot on. Under the nose I detected a floral, perfume like bouquet mixed in with the recent cedar wrapper that adorned it earlier.

The cigar clipped easily and cleanly and it took to the flame pretty easily. The burn was relatively even and required only one touch up over the course of the smoke. The 858 Rosado stayed lit for the most part and never went out. Burn was cool and the draw was perfect giving off voluminous amounts of smoke. The light gray ash held on for a good bit and never threatened to prematurely fall in my lap.

The initial salvo of flavors were pretty straightforward. No spice however there was a bit of cedar, wood and bitter gourd. The acidity reared it's head front and center. So far a rather bright first third that's rather mild and light. Things stayed pretty much the same in the second third except a creaminess set in that coated the entire mouth. No real complexity to speak of. Clean toasted tobacco in the final third. What little flavors are present are at least balanced. The finale is rather boring. Wood dominates with a mild spiciness to it. Nose exhalation exhibited a smooth and toasted tobacco exhale.

In summary, I wasn't sure what to expect from this cigar given there's so little information about it out there. Having said that, I was rather disappointed in the overall experience. Not a very complex cigar that was rather mild. It left me wanting more and constantly in search of any real substantial flavor. I'd have to give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Attachments

Last edited:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Very nice review!
I have been on a search for these for a long time now and this might save me for shelling out the big bucks the next time I see them! Thanks!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks forthe review toker, I am glad you posted a review because like you said, not to much information about these sticks.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
thanks for the review. not the review i expected... i figured the rosado wrapper would make it a tad bit milder... still, i've been waiting for one of these for a long time!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow great find, great review! I'm with 25 this might save me some bucks if I ever run across one. Yeah right knowing me i'd prolly still get it hahah.

Peace, Nick

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Well the look pretty :disappoin

I guess with those box buyers, we might see these in the trade room.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i think this really illustrates how even the same cigar can vary from stick to stick, as well as from smoker to smoker. i was lucky enough to have one, and thought it was excellent. but that being said, i didn't know what really to expect as these are so scarce and have such a reputation. unfortunately i think that can cloud what your experience can be, with any stick. now the trick will be trying to score another one someday and compare!!!!! thanks for the review.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks for the great review. I haven't had a Rosado from the original release. However, I was able to get some of the recently released 858 Rosados from a B&M on Monday. I can't wait to light one up.

It's great to read everyone's review of a cigar, but I think that they should be taken with a grain of salt. Not everyone has the same palate or preferences, so you can't expect to have the same experience. Always best to try it yourself.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
top 5 of new 2009 cigars for me. i love the idea of going back to the "milder" roots. extremely pleasant cigar that didn't bore me. i find that the hardest combo.

Big Cle

Smoking on chrome
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks for the review. Ive tried a couple of them and I dont get them. Maybe age will help them.