What's new

Review As It Burns: El Triunfador Lancero

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So, I decided it was time for a new review. And given that I currently am working on a small thing for the board related to Pete, I thought: why not a Pete Johnson cigar? Why not an El Triunfador? Thus, today I'll review it.

Pairing: Water

Dimensions: 7 1/2" x 38
Wrapper: Conneticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Upon first inspection, I appreciate a veiny, dark cigar, with a slightly oily surface. Gorgeous pig-tail cap and in the foot we see a well done bunching, which remains throughout the feel of the cigar except for one slightly soft spot near the middle. The wrapper offers hints of cocoa and earth, while the foot smells of cedar and spice. Upon cutting with me Palio, first draw proves to be a tad tight. First notes are those of cocoa and cedar with just slight hints of sweet spices in the background.

Upon lighting the cigar, the palate is overwhelmedwith flavours of white pepper, cinamon, cedar, cocoa and vanilla. A medium strenght smoke as of now which feels so good despite the complexity.

With an exquisite burn thus far, the flavours start to settle down quickly to leave notes of pepper, cacao bean, a sweet nuttiness, earth and leather; while the cinamon has taken a secondary role and the vanilla feels as if it blended somewhere there.

About half an inch into the cigar, the draw opened up, letting a cool, sweet smoke come in, showing the vanilla once again on its own.

Most suddenly, after an inch or so, the ash fell. Aproaching midway of the 1st third and the nuttiness there is begins to remind me of caramelized pecans...without as much caramel. That asides, the cigar provides a very cuban profile, with the tones of earthiness and peppery spice. Excelent cigar!

With one truly magnificent burn line, I begin approaching the 2nd third of the cigar. In the meantime, the vanilla and cinamon rose back, to balance out the pepper. This, along with the nutty and earthy notes is giving a cigar that is everything BUT boring. The sweetness and the spices balance out so well,...Mmmmmmmmmmmmh!

Just look at such a gorgeous ash! A tad flaky, but light gray and solid...beautiful! With the same notes I just mentioned, but the cigar turning a tad milder, I am expectant for a sudden change back when least expected.

Ok, I knew it would happen; just not this quickly. A sudden charge of vanilla and cocoa was shot from God knows where to returnmeattention to this cigar. Still remains the nuttiness, the pepper and awee tad of cedar, but now Ican sense some leather I had not noticed before. Complex and interesting cigar! Loving it!

This cigar certainly needs to be divided into smaller segments. With yet another change, pepper rose back again (even though the sweetness remains, and I dare say will remain throughout the whole cigar), along with the cedar. The sweeter notes except vanilla took the back seat for now.

Enter the 3rd third and the cigar began changing, yet again, to give black pepper, cedar and leather the main role, with the vanilla and sweet nuttiness still remaining. Which was quite interesting, for the leather had suddenly gone without any warning, to the point I had forgotten about it.

Nearing midway through the 3rd third, the cigar started tasting of a campfire! With its longest ash streak (around 1 1/2"), the cigar started giving of hints of campfire's burning wood, roasted nuts,...beautiful!!!

De-banding time!!! The cigar left behind that camping flavour, to let leather, earth and spice galore. the roasted nuts remain but as an after taste and the vanilla is near gone. The sweetness dissapeared, leaving a medium-full cigar with a much more cuban-esque profile (again).

As nubbing nears, the roasted nuts re-appeared. This cigar was certainly quite something!

Time to take out: the sweetness clip

Cigar inserted

Now, to wrap it up: asides from minor draw problems, this lancero was excelent. Burn, taste, ash,...beautiful!

Last edited:

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
All members excuse me for my ignorance, but I have never heard of this particular brand of cigar, who may I ask makes this stick???

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
All members excuse me for my ignorance, but I have never heard of this particular brand of cigar, who may I ask makes this stick???
Pete Johnson; he who makes the Tatuajes. It wasn't an ignorant question, Now tell us a tad about ye!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Man I love those El Triunfadors...one of my favorite sticks. I know it's just a Cabby Maddy, but dammit I prefer these. Must be because of the ring gauge, and what that percentage of filler/wrapper does to the overall flavor.

Mmmm.....

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Man I love those El Triunfadors...one of my favorite sticks. I know it's just a Cabby Maddy, but dammit I prefer these. Must be because of the ring gauge, and what that percentage of filler/wrapper does to the overall flavor.

Mmmm.....
Lanceros allow for the biggest ratio of wrapper overbinder and filler, so ye getmuch more maduro with these.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Moro certainly gets an A+ for his detailed and in depth reviews.

I'm not as big a fan of Triunis as most. i just havent' gotten on the wagon of connecticut broadleaf wrappers yet.
I like the Frank and i'm gonna try the new Noella reserva tonight, but the cab maddies haven't overwhelmed me nor have the triunis to date. i've got a few left i'm waiting to give a nother shot this summer, but...

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've got one of these I picked up a while ago in a Holt's sampler, but I haven't found a good time to light it up yet. Great review so far, Moro!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Burned thru a 5er from a NHC 5 pk or so (gifted a couple) maybe 3. Im certain it's a great stick, good anytime. I just think the 22 I got left are only getting smoked every 6 months. Just not in their own yet. Maybe another year.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I love how the ash looks against the wrapper- just as the band is light grey on brown - it's just a very elegant & well made stick!

I too, notice the vanilla - one thing that keeps me coming back for more!

Also -I'm sure you won't have any trouble with keeping a nice slow pace, but this becomes increasingly important in the final third as this tends to get bitter if you don't take your time.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i might have to smoke one tonight to see if i can taste the vanilla. maybe 2 days without a cigarette will help me out a bit.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Good review Moro. The lancero has always been one of my favorite vitolas.

Nice talking with you today too!