What's new

Review: Break in the new smoke room with a Dirty Rat

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Last Thursday I spent most of the day switching around two rooms in my condo. My old bedroom is a little bigger than my old smoking/game room. Earlier in the week, I made a purchase of a new set of theatre seats, and decided it would be best to switch rooms around to accommodate. The chairs were set to arrive on Saturday.

Well, on Friday, I met up with benzopyrene, aquarich and jolietilfire for a couple of smokes. Rich was very generous in parting with one of his recently obtained Dirty Rats from his trip to Drew Estates. The special nature of this stick deserved its own smoking day. I promised Rich that I would do so while in chat on Saturday after receiving my new chairs.

Well, here is the review. Enjoy! I did!

First off, here are the seats....couldn't help but not post a pic since that was part of the reason why I did the review:

And here is the Dirty Rat. A dark and oily wrapper, with minimal veins. The wrapper looked perfect, and had no issues with the construction. The cap was a perfect pig-tail with no gaps in the lines in the seam. The cigar has a nice firm feel to it, with no softspots at all.

I gave the cap a little wetting before cutting. I was able to taste a little cocoa, but was surprised to taste a little mint. Very enjoyable flavor from the wrapper leaf.

Upon cutting, the pre-light draw had strong notes of spice, chocolate, coffee, and again, the little hints of mint.

Upon lighting, the first puffs had a strong spice flavor, with a good deal of chocolate (sweet and creamy) and coffee. Occasionally, I could pick up on the mint flavor I noticed pre-light, but it was not prevalent throughout. During the first third, the spice calmed down some, but was present throughout as a dominate flavor along with the chocolate/coffee. The burn was very straight throughout. Never needed tending to...and I am a burn perfectionist.

During the second third, the chocolate/coffee was taken over by a dry leaf flavor, with slight flavor of wood. It was hard to tell if it was cedar or oak, as it wasn't very strong, but it was there. Spice still played a major role in this third as well, but wasn't dominate. Again, the burn was pretty much razor sharp.

The final third of the stick brought spice back to the forefront as the major flavor. There were also hints of leather mixed in with this last third. The spice would leave a taste of green pepper in my mouth, which I find very enjoyable. The burn wasn't perfectly straight at this point, but it would keep up on its own very nicely.

Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar! I took this stick down to a nub right to the point that it started to burn my fingers. I am really looking forward to this cigar being a regular release. Dirty Rats will definitely join Flying Pigs, No 9s and T-52s in my humidor. Overall burn time was about 1.5 hours.

Thanks again for the amazing gift, Rich. And thank you Drew Estates for the wonderful cigar.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Jere, most excellant review and pic's my friend! :clap:

I really like the new set-up you got there. Just wondering how big is the TV in your room?

My friend BryanB gave me a Dirty Rat about a month ago, I guess it's time to give it a try.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys.

Just wondering how big is the TV in your room?
Larry, as of now, there is a 30-inch widescreen HD computer monitor in there connected to my PS3. It is a decent size for the room, as it isn't huge, but my plans are to get a 46 inch Samsung LED-LCD mounted on the wall. When the condo was built, I got them to bury speaker wire in the walls, so speakers can be placed without having to run long lines of wire.

I also have a foosball table to get rid of now...

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0

Larry, as of now, there is a 30-inch widescreen HD computer monitor in there connected to my PS3. It is a decent size for the room, as it isn't huge, but my plans are to get a 46 inch Samsung LED-LCD mounted on the wall. When the condo was built, I got them to bury speaker wire in the walls, so speakers can be placed without having to run long lines of wire.

Don't do that, just get a "poker table" top for it and us the room for you "Poker and Cigars" Night! :cbig:

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Don't do that, just get a "poker table" top for it and us the room for you "Poker and Cigars" Night! :cbig:
Room isn't big enough, and I don't have a place to put it when it isn't being used. When it is right now is where a vinotemp will go.

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Great review! and nice smoking chairs. I (along with many others I am sure) am ready for these to be available!! Guess for now I will have to smoke the LP's I have and dream...

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

Awesome review, Jere! I can't wait to try one of these sticks, everyone who tried them seemed to love 'em.

Also, great choice on the 46" LED Samsung, it is a beautiful TV and is super thin, great for mounting!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have anything in there for smoke/odor control? JW cuz i would like to eventually set u something like this. Also, thanx for the review! I really need to get my hands on some of these DE blends.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Not right now Stew. I actually had the window open about 3 or 4 inches while smoking, and the air-flow behind my building did a tremendous job pulling it out of the room. Can't even tell that I smoked in there the next morning. However, I will get something....looking into the RabbitAir MinusA2.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Had mine today as well. Great flavors perfect burn. Tasted the mint as well and burned it to nub as well! Nice review J!