What's new

Review Contest 3 Cigar #2!!!!

Rating - 96%
34   1   0
Cigar Review #2

Appearance: 10/15 This cigar is a very oily with a dark brown wrapper. The wrapper is a bit veiny as well.

Ash: 8/10 The ash had a nice color to it and held quite well.
Draw: 10/10 This cigar had a perfect draw from start to finish!

Burn: 9/10 The burn nearly flawless on this smoke as well. It is obvious that it is well constructed with the looks, draw and burn I am getting!
Smoke: 8/10 The smoke is quite pleasant smelling and pretty much exactly the amount I expected.

Flavor/Blend: 16/20 I immediately got a nice medium roasted coffee flavor that stayed throughout the cigar. It had a very nice little spice throughout as well, it was not very strong but it was just enough spice to make me very happy. An earthiness flavor came and went for me several times throughout the cigar as well as a little woody taste.
Uniqueness: 8/10 This is a fairly unique smoke. Not saying I haven't had a few of these in the past but from the vast majority of cigars on the market this one proves to be different.
Finish: 11/15 The cigars flavor stayed pretty constant throughout but at the end it started to burn just a tad hot.
Overall: I do believe that if I don't have any of these in the humi that I will be trying to get some sometime. Thanks Luke for this one as I thoroughly enjoyed smoking this one.
Overall Score: 81

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Cigar #2
6 5/8th X 42 ........paired with a glass of H2O
Definitely a well constructed cigar…….a little toothy but a sturdy little cuss. Nice dark oily wrapper.

1)Prelight was chocolate with a hint of a little sweetness , used a double guillotine cutter, plenty of air flow for the draw …

2)First third of this smoke the draw was excellent producing a lot of smoke……this did not change at all one of the best drawing smokes I have had in the last couple of weeks…….had some coffee with a little bit of pepper and black licorice coming out……. It was short lived however and coffee flavors were abundant .

3)Second third of this stick had ample smoke ………..more coffee getting a little stronger none of the licorice flavor was left. Had one little touch up.

4)The final third of the smoke and much of the same flavors coffee and dark chocolate.

Now for the scores
Appearance 13
Ash 10
Draw 10
Smoke 10
Flavor 15
Uniqueness 6
Finish 12
Burn 9
Final 85

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I pulled this cigar out hoping for a better experience and I got it.

Cigar # 2

I didnt measure the stick. A toro size. Dark, coffee bean color. Oily with a
with a very heavy thick warpper. The cigar was very firm with no soft spots. I cut the cap to find a firm but workable draw. This cigar has been resting at 65% for over two weeks

1)Prelight. What a wonderful smell. Stong taste of tobacco with a hint of sweetness to come. It took its time lighting, the heavy thick wrapper slowly rolling outward. A good sign of things to come. I had to work to get it lit and to get smoke but once going, lots of smoke. Thick and chewy.

2)The first third had a firm draw but excellent flavor

3)Second third of this stick had much more smoke and the draw eased out..

4)The final third. Very nice. Smooth and silky

Scores...I hate to score cigars. I either like them or I dont. I liked this cigar a lot.
Appearance 15- Beautiful, oily lovely smoke
Ash 8
Draw 7
Burn 10 - Perfect burn. No issues, razor straight
Smoke 8 - Yum, after a slow start - Big chewy wonderful
Flavor - 13 = Cherry, tobacco, twannnng
Uniqueness? 8 - I have smoked many cigars like this. I look for cigars like this
Finiish 12- Naw this was cuban for sure . Smooth, silky all the way to the nub.

Final 81

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
5 5/8 x 48 Toro

This Cigar was enjoyed pool side with a glass of ice water around 7 P.M.

PRE CUT
This cigar displayed strong cedar with hints of coco and had a slight floral finish. It had no real pre-cut taste, except a hint of tobacco. Very dark Mocha colored wrapper it had some veins but nothing to big. Firm with just a few small sun spots.

Some cigars are like a Playboy Playmate, they leave nothing to the imagination, and you know what you are in for a great time, but this stick was more like Angelina Jolie in a turtle neck, looks nice and it might be fun, but you never know until you spend a little time alone with it.

PRE LIGHT
Slightly tight draw draw still no real pre light flavor except an ever so light pepper

1st THIRD
First thing I noticed was the abundant amount of smoke. It started with hints of pepper and coffee with a little coco. Very silky smooth finish on the tongue. Nice tight ash, and an even burn. It has a nice flavor, but is very mild.

2nd THIRD
Not much change except it picked up to medium body, and the coffee came on a little stronger.

LAST THIRD
Pepper picked up to the point that I could almost not taste the coffee anymore. After taste began to get a little harsh. No more silk on the tongue.

For some reason I kept thinking of a 40 year old stripper. :dunno:

1. Appearance.....14
2. Ash................ 8
3. Draw.............. 8
4. Burn............... 8
5. Smoke............ 9
6. Flavor/Blend....16
7. Uniqueness...... 7
8. Finish.............13

For a total of......83

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I believe it should be noted this cigar was paired with coffee. I, if reviewing, try to avoid anything that isn't water; so, just a heads up.

A gorgeous, dark, oily wrapper. Few veins and uniformly rolled. We're off to a fantastic start. Leading one's nose to note the cocoa, cedar, earth and slight cinammon. The foot gives notes of pepper and earth. A familiar pre-light, thus far; and one that makes me hope for a neat experience. Cut with a Palio, the cigar proved to have a much better draw than the first one of this contest. MUCH better. Nonetheless, slightly loose. A solid, light-grey ash which lasted for around 1 3/4" before falling, the smoke was acompanied by a thick, rich, white smoke.
The 1st third gave black pepper, earth, cedar and hints of cinammon. Upon arrival to the 2nd third, cocoa notes started making a statement, which placed, in turn, cedar on a background level. This was "undone" when the 3rd third arrived. This latter one, gave the original profile with an added, toffee-like, sweetness. A good cigar.

Appearance & pre-draw...13/15
Ash..............................8/10
Draw............................8/10
Burn.............................9/10
Smoke..........................8/10
Flavor & blend................16/20
Uniqueness....................4/10 (Not that I didn't like it, but it just wasn't a "new" profile at all)
Finish & experience.........12/15

Total: 78/100 (Wow...uniqueness can lower a score...and reading other's review, somethingtells me I did it wrong.)

Last edited:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I smoked this one last night, while enjoying an ice cold Stella Artois. Was a great pairing for this cigar. This cigar had a dark brown, oily wrapper. Wonderful color and sheen to the wrapper. Well placed cap and nice veining which ran the entire length of the wrapper. Pre-light hints of light pepper, cedar, leather were present. After cutting the cap with my a Palio, pre-light tastes of pepper, cedar, medium roasted coffee and a slight floral hint came through.

I toasted this cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter and this cigar immediately took off. The draw was prefect, just the right amount of restriction. Notes of medium black pepper, cedar, coffee, leather and Jasmine came through, as did a hint of nutmeg. I liked this flavor as it developed. A great amount of smoke was emitting from this cigar, a nice light blue/grey. It was easy to blow smoke rings with this cigar. The ash remained tight and even went into the 2nd third, where it finally fell off.

The 2nd third continued to have the black pepper develop more. The nutmeg was present, as were the cedar, coffee, Jasmine and leather. I enjoyed this blend so far, but had one uneven burn issue, which was easily corrected. The smoke was awesome, the draw remained perfect.

The final third is where the black pepper took off. BOOOM! This pepper almost overpowered the rest of the flavors, until I let the cigar sit for a few moments. This allowed the flavors to settle.

From start to finish, this was a good cigar. I enjoyed the pepper flavors, which blended with all the other flavors. I enjoyed the mix of pepper, Jasmine and nutmeg. All in all this cigar was a pleasure. It was only until the one area in the final third that caused me flavor grief. It reminded me of a pepper Nicaraugan cigar. I would smoke this one again and again, as I am sure this one is in my collection now.

Ratings:
Appearance & pre-draw 13/15
Ash 9/10
Draw 10/10
Burn 9/10
Smoke 9/10
Flavor & blend 17/20
Uniqueness 6/10
Finish & experience 12/15

Overall rating 85

Thanks for hosting Luke!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Review Cigar # 2
Score: 88

Info: 5-3/4 x 46 ring paired with water & a Dr. Pepper

This smooth & oily corona gorda had a beautifully toothy wrapper, firm to the touch and masterfully constructed with only a dark vein detracting from it’s aesthetics.

Using a Xikar MTX to cleanly shave the cap off, with not a sign of unraveling, the pre-light draw gave a bran-flake cereal flavor.

The initial taste upon lighting revealed a definite spice & tingle on the lips & tongue, yet smooth when pushed through the sinuses. Around a semi-sweet chocolate core were notes of cereal and a grassy/fruity/tangy flavor. The light grey ash was a beautiful contrast to the rich dark wrapper.

The wrapper & ash was ‘speckled’ with the signs of magnesium concentrations that leave the tobacco rich in flavor, not to mention a nice nicotine kick. But the smoke was still a bit thin until the draw opened a bit at 2/3. Hints of dried apple, bread and cinnamon complimented the wonderful balance of this full flavored, medium bodied stick.

A sweet acidic taste developed after the half-way point, not bitter, but tart. The chocolate taste had evolved into more of an oily coffee. I think the flavors of this stick would go better after a nice tenderloin steak, rather than the pancakes I had made for my son & I this morning. The ‘tart’ died down and was replaced by a more potent coffee flavor, becoming more rich with each pull. At the same time, the smoke is leaving a much cleaner sensation on the pallet. With the draw near unrestricted at this point, a bit of pepper tickles the back of my throat while dark-chocolate seems to coat my mouth.

I could have huffed this down in 45 minutes, but instead, took my time and enjoyed this for over an hour & a half. I got the impression that this cigar would pair well with a fine wine, but what would I know? I haven’t had a drop of liquor in nearly ten years. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this stick & I’m convinced that I have a few of these in my cooledor to enjoy as well.

Final scores:
Appearance: 13
Ash: 9
Draw: 8
Burn: 10
Smoke: 9
Flavor: 17
Uniqueness: 9
Finish: 13
Total: 88

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I refrained from reading any of the reviews on this cigar. It has been resting at 72 deg, 68% for the past three weeks, awaiting its demise... here's how it went down:

Paired with: Macallan 25 Anniversary Malt with one ice cube.

1. Appearance: An attractive and well rolled cigar with a nice dark brown wrapper and firm construction... heavy in the hand for a corona gorda sized smoke... about 6 1/2 by 46.... nice flat cap and no soft spots.... just dark and oily... begging to be lit.... gotta give it 13/15 just for looking so good. Its appearance alone made me break out the good stuff to enjoy with it.
023.JPG

024.JPG

2. Ash: I cut this with a Xikar and torched it ..... it immediately blasts me with lots of white smoke that tastes of rich tobacco with some pepper and earth. The ash is fairly firm and holds for at least an inch before dropping. It is light grey with flecks of black... and continues to burn steadily... often holding for 1 1/2 inches before dropping off and then generally holding its shape in the tray... this is a well constructed cigar. Ash: 8/10
025.JPG

027.JPG

3. Draw: Perfect draw throughout this smoke. 10/10

4. Burn: No problems til the very last 1/4 of the cigar, where it started to tunnel a bit. Otherwise, it burned straight as could be, requiring no touch ups or re-lights. Many rollers could take a lesson from the guy who rolled this one.
Burn: 9/10

028.JPG

029.JPG

5. Smoke: Thick and very fragrant. Not overly pungent...but not as sweet smelling as the last one. For a firm cigar, this one exceeded my expectations.9/10

6. Flavor/Blend: The first inch of this cigar was all tobacco. Full bodied and powerful. I slowed down on it a bit and the power faded into a nice core of pepper and wood. By the first third, background notes of charcoal and earth predominate. No sweetness present. No floral undertones... just a solid and tasty classic cuban style cigar. 17/20

7. Uniqueness: A very classic cubanesque cigar. This is one that will age well. Not overly unique, but satisfying. 8/10

8. Finish: The cigar got a little harsh towards the end, but not to the point of killing the buzz. I really enjoyed this one. Nothing complex or overpowering about it...just a smooth fuller bodied cigar that left me feeling like I had picked the right smoke to enjoy with a great single malt. I'd buy this one... and may have. 13/15

So, this smoke tallies up to an 87. It's not a smoke I would give to a novice smoker. It's power might intimidate a noob. This is an old school sleeper that elegantly kicks your butt. Nice!
:skew:

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
1 Appearance:
Ring: 0.675&#8221;-0.726&#8221; (it varied from the construction of the cigar)
Length: 5.698
Color: Brown w/ blue-ish undertone spots
Misc.: The end of a vein was poking up under the wrapper, causing a bump on the body of the cigar. The wrapper is smooth, but the binder has two vanes that run the length of the cigar, ending under the cap
2 Ash:
solid light gray, held on for 1 ¼&#8221;-1 3/8&#8221; consistently
3 Draw:
Excellent
4 Burn:
Started out a little off (probably from my light) for the first ¾-1&#8221; then evened out. I had to touch up on one of the veins in the last third
5 Smoke:
Qty.: Fair amount and not too thick. Very pleasant
6 Flavor:
Pre-lite: A bit of cedar
1/3: Well rounded, I had a hard time picking out any one distinct flavor. But it did have a something that I associate with the CC&#8217;s that I&#8217;ve smoked. Very happy with this one from the beginning
2/3: Seemed to pick up a little power, almost like all the flavors picked up strength
3/3: It appeared to pick up a bit of Nicotine kick, but that could be from the fact that I had not eaten yet
7 Uniqueness:
It seemed familiar on some levels, so it didn&#8217;t appear to be that unusual.​
8 Finish:
Excuse me sir, can I have another??? It left me wanting another.​

Total Score: 88