What's new

Review: Foam It Insulation

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Not sure this will help some one. Maybe it will help them if they are on the fence about doing something like this on there own in the future
The last few days I have been working in our basement. We have had a small rodent problem this year with them getting into the basement and leaving a ton of droppings on the insulation. On top of that moisture was also present in the rim joist insulation. (I sealed most of the holes from pipes this spring but they were still getting in.) So a week or so I decided enough was enough. I took down all the batted fiberglass insulation in both the one knee wall and all rim joists. (about 14 contractor bags worth)
Foam It Green:
This insulation comes in several tank sizes. From 200 board ft or 600 board ft. It is a closed cell foam and is also mold resistant. Meaning not only does it have a high R factor per inch vs batted fiberglass but it also seals any structures exterior from moisture, wind intrusion and creates a vapor barrier. Basically creating a thermal envelope. I drove the 2hrs up to Fox Lake, IL today and picked up the product. Being 75 degs it was a perfect day for it to be applied. (60-80* acceptable temp variance) I came home put on all appropriate safety gear (goggles, hepa mask Tyveck suit) and went to town. In just 4 hours I had down 2 passes of around 2 inches to every space. R14)
This insulation was no where near cheap. But knowing that hopefully there will be no more mice, no more mold on the back of the insulation ( I have a few caulk issues to tackle) and hopefully a warmer basement this winter. I feel it was well worth the cost and hassle.
More info on Foam IT Green can be found here:
http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/
Finished product below:
Knee wall section

Rim joist and knee wall

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Btw I also plan on going back with a couple more inches of unfaced fiberglass to make it around R 21 when done!

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
You took the right steps Justin. But sorry to say mice are damn near impossible to get rid of. Especially with you living next to that field. This winter may bring more of them toward the house. Never heard of this product but hopefully it does the trick.

If you need any help feel free to ask.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I was about to say, unless you know something I don't, this alone will not keep mice out.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
They were getting in with no problems freely. Like holes on the back side of I beams that "cut off" the full extension of the sill plate thus leaving a giant gap and a nice big hole for them to just push the fiberglass batting back from the siding and away they went. Now knowing that Burgo pest control is a great friend of the Joliet Fd I went to them for advice. Seems that if you pack 00 Steel Wool in those areas it cuts there mouth and gum line up so bad they immediately stop trying to get in. So i packed all the "suspect" openings with 00 Steel Wool then sprayed the foam. But I also didn't do this for the mice but mainly for the moisture issues.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
cool...started seeing this a lot on home flips on TV and was curious. Only observed them using in Cali and did not know how it would do up in the north...can't wait to hear your end result at end of winter.