What's new

Review: Jericho Hill OBS by Crowned Heads

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
I was lucky enough to come across a pre-release sample of Jericho Hill from my brother in law and BOTL Lurch. Thought I would give you guys some of my thoughts on it as we are in the thick of IPCPR. Hope you enjoy!

Crowned Heads Jericho Hill OBS

IMG_1391.jpg

Vitola: OBS 4 3/4 x 52

Wrapper: Mexican San Andres

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Wrapper Look and Feel: A deep milk chocolate coloring, with some tooth that's slightly noticeable. The seems of the cigar of fairly visible, the visible veins look to be pretty small.

Pre-Light Aroma: Has somewhat of a floral scent, and the foot gives off a very strong note of chocolate.

Cut: Standard Guillotine with my Cuban Crafters cutter thanks to the ever so generous JavaJunkie, got it in my newb trade back in the day, and still cuts like a champ!

Cold Draw: Earthiness and Hay, a tad loose, but it does not seem like it will be a problem.

1st Third: Right off the bat, I get very sweet tobacco flavors, very enjoyable. There are ample amounts of smoke being produced, one off the draw and while it's at rest. It's not obnoxious, but it's the most smoke I've had with any of the Crowned Heads products. The sweetness that started the cigar has now turned into what I would say is a sweet caramel. There is a tiny bit of spice, but only on the retrohale. This is a little surprising considering it's out of the My Father factory.

The flavor has transitioned to something that reminds me of my childhood, my Canadian brothers may get this. There's a candy bar only in Canada called Coffee Crisp. It's a dead ringer for the flavor I was getting at this point. To be honest there was so much sweetness evident in this first third that it could turn a few smokers off, but for myself it's right up my alley. The cigar was right in the middle of medium strength for the entire third.

IMG_1390.jpg

2nd Third: This third starts off pretty much with more of the same. As I progress a little, the sweetness has definitely backed off a bit, and some earthiness is at the front. The room aroma is definitely a pleasant one. The burn line and construction is dead on for this smoke. I purposely knocked the ash off at about the 1 1/2 inch mark. This third is not the most complex, but enjoyable nonetheless and the sweetness that was present at the start of this cigar is much lower.

Final Third: In this third, a new flavor emerges to be what I would say is a mocha that in many flavored coffees. It's not overwhelming but it is there. It ends this way with the earthiness in the background. This cigar was medium in strength for the first two thirds, but in this final third, it ratcheted up to a strong medium-full teetering on almost full. I could definitely feel the vitamin N in the head.

Summary: I'm a Crowned Heads groupie as many on this board are, and this cigar is absolutely another CH hit. It's an obvious departure from what Jon and crew have already done and one that will make it's way into my regular rotation. I still love the Headley Grange the best, but the Jericho Hill is now probably my second favorite. This cigar is not overly complex, but it provides, for my tastes, a wonderful smoking experience. I think this is a unique Mexican wrapper experience. I haven't smoked a ton of Mexican wrappers that I've enjoyed this much. The sweetness is pretty intense in the beginning and I think this will be something enjoyed by many. I hope I've done this cigar justice, and it's easy to say everyone's in for a treat!

IMG_1398.jpg

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Sounds like this will end up being more my speed. Other crowned heads I have had have not wowed my palette.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Thanks for the great review Rob!

I've been waiting for these to come out and am glad to hear that you liked them. A Mexican wrapper on a Crowned Heads cigar from the My Father factory is a win-win-win in my book!